SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ P01 - Not feeling the love
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ P01 - Not feeling the love Login/Join 
Picture of JGIORD
posted
I recently purchased a CZ P01 based on videos and reviews since I couldn’t find one locally to get my hands on it.

I love the look and feel of it BUT, I have one big problem with it:

The reach to the trigger is just a little bit too long and with the heavy DA trigger pull it makes it very difficult for my small sausage fingers to put that first round on target.

This is what I mean:

The biggest indent on the grips are lined up and the CZ is on the bottom of the P229. You can see how much farther away the trigger reach is. Also the DA trigger on the CZ is significantly heavier than the P229

So it looks like the CZ will go on the market Frown

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CZ pistols are well known to have a mile long trigger reach. CGW can do a significant reach reduction.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinner grips that follow the frame better will help. Look on eBay.

Sig Ultra 9mm Traditional, SW Performance Center Shield 9mm, Dan Wesson CCO, Ruger LCRx, Kahr PM9. CZ 75D PCR

Posts: 44 | Registered: April 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Put a lighter main spring in for help with the heavy trigger pull.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
All my guns are carry guns so I have a pet peeve about changing things like triggers and lightening springs. I know it’s my mental issue but I don’t ever want to be in a situation where it will come back to me that I lightened the trigger.

I did change the grips to thinner Packmyer G10 and added TruGlow night sights. That’s about all I will do to a gun.

As much as I like the CZ, the P229 crushes it. At least for me.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGIORD:
All my guns are carry guns so I have a pet peeve about changing things like triggers and lightening springs. I know it’s my mental issue but I don’t ever want to be in a situation where it will come back to me that I lightened the trigger.

I did change the grips to thinner Packmyer G10 and added TruGlow night sights. That’s about all I will do to a gun.

As much as I like the CZ, the P229 crushes it. At least for me.

Well, then, why waste any more time? Dump it. I see there's no convincing you otherwise.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, dump it then.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna buy a second P-01....I like it more than a P228/P229. Go figure.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if there's one available in Arizona.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have big hands and I have trouble reaching the trigger, I was checking out a P01 just yesterday and it was a good reminder why I don't have a DA/SA CZ any more. Trigger jobs for CZ are rather expensive so I just stay away from CZ.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
I laugh when I see pictures or videos of someone holding the gun and their trigger finger extends to the end of the trigger guard!

Mine barely reaches the trigger.

It's a shame as I like the gun but it really isn't suitable for my small hands.

I will end up listing it for sale when I get a chance.

posted Hide Post
I've got little baby hands too but the gun seems to work really well for me.

Hell, I've got two now and they are my primary CCW guns.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Not feeling the love?
Sounds like you have all the opportunity to fix the very minor issues you believe you have with this phenomenal pistol but choose not to.
For the small price of a mainspring and CGW's short reach kit you'd have one of the best defensive pistols available.
If you are dead set on selling it then I'd suggest the M&P 2.0C. The trigger reach is VERY short.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
CGW sells a "reach reduction kit" that is supposed to reduce the distance by some 4 mm. It doesn't cost that much if you know how to do it yourself (personally I would have CGW install it). You don't have to lighten the trigger. Grips with flatter sides are also a help. But, sometimes a gun just doesn't work out. This is something in our sport/hobby that just happens now and then, along with the box of unused holsters. I don't think you'd have a problem selling it.

I got one myself a month ago. No problem with reach to the trigger, but its extreme curvature rubs a blister on my finger. However, until the pain sets in, this may be the best shooting handgun I own. I plan soon to have CGW install an 85 trigger (no reach reduction, just different shape).

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Just put new Pachmyers on mine...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had five CZ's but down to only one. I gave a P09 to my son a LEO, The last one i had a SP01 had trigger bite. I did not want to send it out for a trigger job which was high for a $600.00 gun. The one i have now is a CZ 75 TS 9mm a very accurate gun with a great trigger,here is a photo for you guys who may not have seen this one.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The comparison photo doesn't quite tell the whole story. The P-01's trigger, in its fully forward or "at rest" position, when the hammer is lowered by use of the decocker, does not start its DA stroke from that point. It actually starts from about "one-third" cock, over a quarter of an inch rearward of the point shown. There is what feels like - and is - a long takeup between the two positions, but you can get used to it. Having owned the similar PCR before, it was second nature to me.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Interesting. egregore is right; the real work for your trigger finger begins about 1/3rd of the way in since you're never going to have the hammer resting on the firing pin with a chambered round. The initial takeup up until the stack point is quite light and smooth.

I have exceptionally small hands (measures about 7" in total length...on a good day) for someone of my height. Yet I have not had any problems with the arrangement of the factory trigger of a CZ 75-based DA/SA pistol, even in dry fire with the hammer completely down.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Count me in the small hands group and I don’t have any issues with CZs. Glock’s feel like a bar of soap to me in size, however I am able to shoot them well.

Like others have said make sure you are testing from decock not hammer all the way down.

Other than that ehhhh nobody ever said you had to like what people tell you to like. Sell it and try something else.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The comparison photo doesn't quite tell the whole story. The P-01's trigger, in its fully forward or "at rest" position, when the hammer is lowered by use of the decocker, does not start its DA stroke from that point. It actually starts from about "one-third" cock, over a quarter of an inch rearward of the point shown. There is what feels like - and is - a long takeup between the two positions, but you can get used to it. Having owned the similar PCR before, it was second nature to me.

Yes I totally agree with this. However, once the weight of the trigger kicks in I still have problems because there is so little finger on the trigger.

Soggy, it's interesting you gave a hand measurement. It got me wondering so I measured mine. From the tip of my index finger to the wrist bone measures 6.75". To complicate things my arthritis causes my index finger to bend toward my pinky which makes the distance seem even smaller.

I don't want to give up on the CZ just yet as I really like the looks and feel. I also like that it is noticeable thinner and lighter than the P229. But I still find the P229 much easier to shoot.

I plan on giving it a few more range sessions to see if I can either adapt to it or compensate for it somehow without taking away from my accuracy.

Here is a picture in its current setup with the Pachmyer grips and Truglow sights. Yes I dinged up the sights a bit during installation, but they still work just fine.