SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Brass picker-upper tool recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass picker-upper tool recommendations Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
Anyone have a recommendation for a good brass picker upper that works in dirt/sand, and also concrete?

Mostly for pistol brass 9mm and up.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The roller baskets works quite well. Better on concrete than gravel.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Something along these lines:

Caldwell 125789 Brass Retriever https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R...cp_apa_yEtJBbSMJ3RJQ

I have something similar that I bought through Dillon Precision years ago and they work pretty well for pistol cases. .223/5.56 case sometimes don't always fully cooperate though.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Your fingers.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A class of Basic Academy cadets.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Using your fingers you pick them up one at a time anyway, so I use the Ettore 49036 Grip'n Grab, for about $18 bucks, from Amazon.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Roller baskets work well on hard surfaces. Okay on packed dirt. On sand it's 50/50, picks up half, buries the other half. On soft ground they're better if you strategically "poke" rather than roll. Orient the basket the same direction as the case and dab at it.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brass picker upper ?? I recommend bribing a couple of 10 year olds !! Razz

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
No privates or rookies available? In my experience the rollers are only good for hard smooth surfaces.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shoot more steel and use a magnet. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Garden Weasel Nut Gatherer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

What size do you recommend? I would assume small?

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:

What size do you recommend? I would assume small?

I think the small one is the right one. I knew lots of 9mm and .38 Super shooters who used them at USPSA matches.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the roller basket type and it works well. My range floor is concrete.
Truth be told I got it as a gift but for $55 from Dillon I would not have bought it myself.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never heard of this before, but one look at it on Amazon and I can see how it works! Cool

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-...+Weasel+Nut+Gatherer

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
This is great for concrete, high volume pickup. Bring money.

the rolling baskets work pretty well in sand/dirt but you get a lot of rocks also (anything that's the size of a casing.

They make a .22 and a larger size basket/roller... make sure you get the larger one if you want to pick up centerfire. The .22 one bends if you do that with it and then won't keep .22s inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwNT-RVqnK4

I second the 10-year-olds idea. Many hands make light work... plus it's easier for them as they're closer to the ground. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
if you are standing in one place, use a tarp.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an inexpensive small painter's drop cloth.
Just spread it out and when finished shooting just
gather it up and there's your pile of brass.

Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I learned about this about 15 years ago, but the Nut Wizard brand. My brother was living in SE Alabama (near Foley), and he had quite a grove of pecan trees. I was visiting and watched him use the Nut Wizard to pick up all of those pecans. It comes in various sizes for different applications. I checked out their web site and ordered the small size, which I thought would be about right for brass. At the time, they were not advertising the product as a brass picker, but it took off and now they actively advertise and sell to the shooting community.

It works well here in AZ, where our typical pistol bay is hard packed dirt, with small rocks, which sometimes get in with the cases. We use either the "punch" method, or roll it. Either works on our ground. Nut Wizard also offers a steel wire thingie that fits on a 5 gallon bucket, and the wires on it will spread your picker basket open so the cases fall right into the bucket.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'll be sure to order one soon.

Our outdoor range consists of a thick layer of loose sand at the firing line, so I hope it will at least pick up most of them (and probably half of the rocks too)

The current method was to use the garden rake and rake everything to the center in a pile, and pick through the dusty mess.