SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any info on USPIS 229’s?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any info on USPIS 229’s? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Where are y’all finding / buying the USPIS CPO. Guns?

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a Sig P229R DAK in 40cal when I switched from NCIS (Sig M11) to the USPIS in 2008. They used the Beretta 92 prior to the Sig. A friend that is still with postal advised word is they are swapping to Glocks. Money to purchase the Sigs cane from seizure money as will it for the Glocks. Friend had no idea how one w/the USPIS SN got into the wild other than to think it was one not excepted. The armory at the academy still has a bunch of unissued Sig’s in inventory. Below is a copy of the release Sig put out when they got the contract.

U.S. Postal Inspection Service Awards SIGARMS® A Contract For 3,600 SIG SAUER® Pistols

Award is the fourth major contract won by SIGARMS in just six months.

EXETER, NH - The U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) has awarded SIGARMS® a contract for just over 3,600 SIG SAUER® pistols chambered in 40 S&W. The contract which was announced February 9, is for the SIG SAUER P229R featuring an M1913 Picatinny rail, SIGLITE® night sights and the new DAKT trigger system. The contract is the fourth major federal contract won by SIGARMS in the last six months and follows on the heels of the $23.7 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in August, a $4.2 million pistol contract awarded by the U.S. Coast Guard and a contract with the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command for 5,000 units of the new SIG SAUER SP2022 pistol.

"More and more we are seeing federal agencies turn to SIGARMS for the reliability, accuracy and durability of the SIG SAUER pistols. Testing conducted by the Department of Homeland Security showed that the SIG SAUER is the most reliable pistol available. Agencies like the USPIS, have validated this testing through their own test and evaluation process," said Peter Kujawski, SIGARMS Vice President of Military and Government Sales.

The SIG SAUER P229R selected by the USPIS is the same model selected by the U.S. Coast Guard and one of the three models selected by the DHS. The P229, available in 9mm, 357 SIG or 40 S&W, is the model that is the most popular with SIGARMS' extensive list of law enforcement customers.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanT:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

How unique is the numbers? You dont have to post it all, just what makes it different.

I've got one of these also. The serial number starts with "USPIS" - i.e. USPISXXXX.

The contract originally went to HK for the P2000 but Sig filed a lawsuit and won the contract. As the academy’s range master told me, it was “the right gun for the wrong reason” (contracting legalities). Sig actually had to retool their machinery to meet the contract spec requiring a “USPIS#####” serial number as it was one digit longer than they were set up for. I left the agency a few years ago, so I don’t know if they’ve started to replace them or not. I REALLY grew to love the DAK trigger, and the next Sig I buy will be a DAK. In the academy we “carried” the old 92 DAO’s converted to blanks. What a monster.

The agency didn’t allow Inspectors to purchase the Berettas when they were replaced, but when the Berettas were new, they were allowed to buy their issued Ruger Speed Six which was a special configuration and pretty collectible now. http://www.lsbauctions.com/892...al-mfd-1987-357-mag/

I think USCG LE carries the same exact P329. Inspectors are allowed to carry a personally owned weapon as a primary or backup if it is one of several approved manufacturers/configurations. I always liked Glocks, but never joined the militant Glock Inspectors who blasphemed Sig. The gist of requirements were .40, DAO/Striker fired, 7 round minimum, no decocker or safety.

I still keep in touch with the retired range master so I’ll ask what the current status on the P229’s are. I’ve seen a steady supply of identical DAK’s turn up on the usual sites that buy PD guns and it seems you could get a nice condition P229R .40 DAK for under $400 with case.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:

Just saw your post, small world. Like yourself, I came from another alphabet agency but wasn’t an 1811 so I went through the regular CDD class. I left in late 2015, but that’s another story, shoot me an email in my profile, curious if you were in the same program as me.

GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShoreGuy:
In the academy we “carried” the old 92 DAO’s converted to blanks. What a monster.

I was in the USPIS hiring process several years ago, and I remember being told academy students carried blue guns. Interesting.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
In the academy we “carried” the old 92 DAO’s converted to blanks. What a monster.

I was in the USPIS hiring process several years ago, and I remember being told academy students carried blue guns. Interesting.

I remember all the rubber guns used in the gym were read, but maybe the Berettas had blue painted grips instead of Red. We were told to carry them during training loaded with blanks and they would “see” who cranked off a couple A/D’s.

GOTM Nickel P229

posted Hide Post
The red rubber guns were used in hands on DT classes and the lead barrel former 92’s were used for everything else and daily wear “so you could get used to wearing it”

Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nciswit:
The red rubber guns were used in hands on DT classes and the lead barrel former 92’s were used for everything else and daily wear “so you could get used to wearing it”

If those were still in use when I was hired, it would be the best incentive ever to buy a Glock 23.

GOTM Nickel P229

posted Hide Post
Anyone with any Leo experience hated the 92; just to dam big to carry in s plainclothes capacity. The postal police/security was fine with them in uniform. The majority of the old timers I saw only took their guns out of safe to qualify with or if they had to help with s search warrant. I made some friends but glad to get out of that agency. The training was always good but it just was not someplace I fit into. I was a street cop/detective then NCIS so I was used to a little more law enforcement and less sitting around.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just saw your post, small world. Like yourself, I came from another alphabet agency but wasn’t an 1811 so I went through the regular CDD class. I left in late 2015, but that’s another story, shoot me an email in my profile, curious if you were in the same program as me.

I’m not USPIS - I’m with another Fed Agency - my grandfather was with USPIS though that was before FLETC was even a thing.

CPO in the context of SIG pistols refers to SIG’s “Certified Pre Owned” program. SIG takes demo guns and guns from State and local agencies that can legally trade in guns, has them armorer inspected, any necessary work done, and re-sells them as “CPO” Guns. They usually come in red boxes as opposed to the Blue or black for new guns.

I have a ton of P229R holsters, mags etc so I could always use an excuse for another DAK.

Re: buying GOV guns: The USPIS Ruger revolvers were the last Fed LEO guns traded in and sold to the public. The Clinton administration issued an executive order in the mid 90s restricting the disposition of federal LE Agency Guns to destruction or transfer to another Govt Agency. This was subsequent codified in 49 CFR.

You may recall in the late 80s and early to mid 90s There was significant transition in LE from revolvers to autos, 9mm to 40 etc. many of those guns were traded in and resold cheap. Of course some wound up being used in crimes and there was a great hue and cry among the anti gunners about police guns, bought to protect us, being “put out on the street.” Hence the Clinton executive order.

In other words, when USPIS traded their Beretta 92D Centurions for SIGs not allowing the troops to buy them was not a discretionary decision. There was (and is) no legal mechanism to to do so unless the relevant section of 49 CFR is rescinded.

The most likely ways for the USPIS serial number guns to get into SIGs CPO pipeline would be contract over runs or guns sent to USPIS and rejected. Once a gun is accepted as GOV property it cannot be re-sold.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

For dummy guns it is just a matter of brand. The two primary makers of solid dummy guns, ASP, and Rings, make their dummy guns in red and blue respectively.

At FLETC, and in LE in general training guns are color coded for safety reasons. Dummy guns, solid or functional are red, sim/ marking round guns are blue and dedicated blank guns are white.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nciswit:
Anyone with any Leo experience hated the 92; just to dam big to carry in s plainclothes capacity. The postal police/security was fine with them in uniform. The majority of the old timers I saw only took their guns out of safe to qualify with or if they had to help with s search warrant. I made some friends but glad to get out of that agency. The training was always good but it just was not someplace I fit into. I was a street cop/detective then NCIS so I was used to a little more law enforcement and less sitting around.

I carried a 96D in plain clothes for several years. While it is heavy, like any full sized metal gun, the grip is actually relatively short and easy to conceal given a decent belt and holster.

Of course:

1) Most cops are not gun people and those nkt working the street regularly bitch about having to carry a gun in general.
2) the only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops. A Walmart skinny dress belt and the cheapest holster you can find are not a formula for success.

While my current G17 is lighter, the hump / grip shape of the 17 makes it harder to conceal than a Beretta Grip. IME the Beretta grip conceals about the same as the SIG 228/229.

posted Hide Post
ICE adopted the SIG P229R DAK in 2005 as a result of the same 2004 DHS pistol tests which resulted in CBP adopting the P2000.

USCG, NCIS and USPIS purchased their P229Rs off the DHS / ICE contract. NCIS guys I know we’re not happy to give up the M11 for the 40 but they have a pretty broad POW program.

posted Hide Post
I picked up a Sig USCG 229 in 40 cal DAK ,night sights, etched bar code on the gun , came in plain Sig brown box , new in the wrapper . also a 229 DAK ICE new in box etched bar code , N/S in 9 . I traded the USCG gun to a SIG guy who wanted it bad , got a new Les Bear 45 and some cash . I only ever saw one other one for sale .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did also see a Ruger Stainless Speed Six 357 marked NCIS , all fact from what I could see and find out . also just last week saw a rare Ruger Security Six Boarder Patrol 357 with dull finish go for 1000 bucks . I would post photos of the 229 ICE gun with bar code and box also marked , but I still use a old flip phone , its to much for me to figure out .

posted Hide Post
Triaxle, now the Ruger marked Naval Investigative Service (NIS) is one I’d love to have come across. A few of the old timers I worked with had their old ones.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

For dummy guns it is just a matter of brand. The two primary makers of solid dummy guns, ASP, and Rings, make their dummy guns in red and blue respectively.

At FLETC, and in LE in general training guns are color coded for safety reasons. Dummy guns, solid or functional are red, sim/ marking round guns are blue and dedicated blank guns are white.

When I said "blue" guns I was refering to the solid plastic dummy guns, which is what I thought USPIS academy students carried. I guess I should've been more specific. I didn't know about the blank-firing guns being carried.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that one on Gunbroke some time back , it was marked and like new . That Boarder Patrol Ruger was a good one had box and every thing . I picked up a new in the box Gov, Speed Six 4 in round but with lanyard in tin foil wrapper ,brown box and Gov marked manual . have had it 20 yr never fired .