SIGforum
Any info on USPIS 229’s?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2270056654

May 12, 2019, 07:43 PM
Maestro
Any info on USPIS 229’s?
Howdy y’all,

Does anyone have any info on the US Postal Inspection Service P229R’s? I picked one up as a CPO, and it has absolutely the most beautiful double action trigger I’ve ever felt in a Sig. I’m curious when it might have been manufactured, and if they are still using the pistols. It has a unique USPIS serial number, so I can’t date it with our sticky thread with serial numbers.

Any info that you have would be appreciated. This is one of the finest pistols I have ever owned.
May 12, 2019, 07:48 PM
jljones
The last I heard the FAMS were the last .gov agency with the DA/SA SIG.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

May 12, 2019, 08:30 PM
henryarnaud
The only thing I know about the USPIS pistols is that they adopted the Sig P229R DAK in .40S&W in 2005. Before that it was a variant of the Beretta 92 (or 96) series, but I don't know which one.

I don't know what they're currently issued.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 12, 2019, 08:41 PM
BuddyChryst
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

HSIs still carry the P229. They’re waiting for the money to actually come through for the P320. It’s already been at least 2 years.

ETA: just realized you mean DA/SA specifically.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
May 12, 2019, 08:57 PM
Mountain Man
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Howdy y’all,

Does anyone have any info on the US Postal Inspection Service P229R’s? I picked one up as a CPO, and it has absolutely the most beautiful double action trigger I’ve ever felt in a Sig. I’m curious when it might have been manufactured, and if they are still using the pistols. It has a unique USPIS serial number, so I can’t date it with our sticky thread with serial numbers.

Any info that you have would be appreciated. This is one of the finest pistols I have ever owned.

How unique is the numbers? You dont have to post it all, just what makes it different.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm
May 12, 2019, 09:31 PM
IanT
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

How unique is the numbers? You dont have to post it all, just what makes it different.

I've got one of these also. The serial number starts with "USPIS" - i.e. USPISXXXX.
May 13, 2019, 03:55 PM
Maestro
quote:
Originally posted by IanT:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

I've got one of these also. The serial number starts with "USPIS" - i.e. USPISXXXX.

That is correct. It's a CPO Da/Sa in .40.
May 13, 2019, 07:09 PM
Michael J. Shannon
US Secret Service continues to use P229 Sigs (357
Sig). When I retired in 1988 from the USSS, HQ was
issuing Sigs to protection details in DC, then a year or so later, field offices around the US got
to replace the S&W Model 19's.

My retirement present to myself was a Sig P220 .45
auto, and I have collected quite a few Sig's since
then.
May 13, 2019, 07:53 PM
quote:

National Park Service and BLM still has a large number in service. Last I heard the NPS was going to the P320 in 9mm.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
May 13, 2019, 08:27 PM
Pardon the dumb question, but what does the "I" stand for?

Q

May 13, 2019, 08:50 PM
RogueJSK
United States Postal Inspection Service
May 13, 2019, 09:07 PM
Duh. It pays to read the post carefully, and not just the acronym. Roll Eyes

Q

May 14, 2019, 07:43 PM
Ivan
quote:

Secret Service still carries the P229 in .357Sig. I personally spoke to USSS Director Randolph "Tex" Alles a few months ago about it , and he wanted a new service pistol with a light rail, and preferably striker fired. But, since he was fired, I doubt the changeover will happen any time soon.
May 14, 2019, 07:57 PM
henryarnaud
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:

Secret Service still carries the P229 in .357Sig. I personally spoke to USSS Director Randolph "Tex" Alles a few months ago about it , and he wanted a new service pistol with a light rail, and preferably striker fired. But, since he was fired, I doubt the changeover will happen any time soon.

I recall reading a few years ago that they were switching over to DAK from DA/SA. I don't know what the current situation is with them.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 14, 2019, 08:23 PM
Ivan
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:

I recall reading a few years ago that they were switching over to DAK from DA/SA. I don't know what the current situation is with them.

I am a former Agent, and one of my friends is the head of the USSS firearms program. I see what they all still carry everyday.
May 15, 2019, 04:10 AM
triaxle
I picked up a new in box 229 ICE with the DAK trigger , night sights in 9mm also has the Gov bar code etched on the slide . I has a very smooth trigger pull . the gun was a contract over run , box is marked ICE . Had the same Gov gun in 40 USCG got it in plain brown box DAK . Got them a few years back .
May 16, 2019, 12:59 PM
ajp3jeh
The background of that gun would be interesting. I'm wondering if Sig had an IOP for Postal Inspectors.

By law, all firearms that are considered surplus, cannot be sold to the public. They can be given to another agency but aren't supposed to be in the public domain.

There are some rare contract over run guns, such as some S&W revolvers, that can be found but they were never technically owned by the Federal Government.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.
May 16, 2019, 05:51 PM
Mountain Man
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I picked up a new in box 229 ICE with the DAK trigger , night sights in 9mm also has the Gov bar code etched on the slide . I has a very smooth trigger pull . the gun was a contract over run , box is marked ICE . Had the same Gov gun in 40 USCG got it in plain brown box DAK . Got them a few years back .

Love to see some pics of the Govt 229' s

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm
May 20, 2019, 12:38 AM
HCM
ICE issued the P229R DAK in 40. New trainees at FLETC are now being issued the DHS SKU P320s. ICE has approximately 15,000 LEOs so expect the transition to take 1 to 2 years.

ICE allowed P229 40cals in DA/SA as optional personally owned weapons for several years. There was also an ICE IOP program for the 229R DAK 40. There is an IOP in place for the DHS SKU P320 - it is basically a 320 carry slide /FCU with X ray sights and an X grip frame. The only unique things is the coating on the internals, supposedly the same coating on the GOV contract M17/M17.

The FAMS, USSS, FPS, NPS and BLM and I believe USFWS are all still using or allowing DA/SA SIGs as are the USPIS. I haven’t heard anything about the postal inspectors switching guns and guns accepted for GOV service cannot be sold or traded in so the CPOs might be contract over runs or guns rejected and then rebuilt for the CPO program.
May 21, 2019, 08:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:

The FAMS, USSS, FPS, NPS and BLM and I believe USFWS are all still using or allowing DA/SA SIGs as are the USPIS. I haven’t heard anything about the postal inspectors switching guns and guns accepted for GOV service cannot be sold or traded in so the CPOs might be contract over runs or guns rejected and then rebuilt for the CPO program.

The US Fish & Wildlife Service LE has had Glock's for some time.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.