SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 carry Login/Join 
posted
Hi all back again was at my local place again and they had a carry 1911 looks to have the nitron finish with the rosewood grips 4.2 inch barrel . Never looked at the 1911 models since they are usually a little pricey for me but this isn't to bad . According to sig it's a 2013 model so again looking for a little feedback thanks in advance

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 2006 GSR Revolution Carry which also has the 4.2 barrel. It's a really nice pistol, but mine is heavy as lead and is very sharp on the grip frame and checkering.

Now, to be fair, the early ones like mine were made with different components and machining than the later ones, as this was a pistol to introduce the Sig 1911 to the public, not to be sold as a regular offering.

I say all that to get to the point that while I like the gun, it is nicely fitted, and I shoot it very well, I'm not sure how well I would like it as a carry gun. Mine would be very hard on cover garments, and again, it's heavy.

This gun goes with me to the range every time I go, and is loaded in my office as a home defense gun, but I'm not sure I'd carry it all that much, other than as a BBQ gun.

I'd say that if it's a good price, buy it as they are really nicely made pistols.

ETA Pic:

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Commander sized 1911 is a little bit on the weighty side for carry. Unless its in a good belt holster and your using a real gun belt made to distribute the weight. That said. I carry a Officers sized 1911 In an IWB holster with just a t-shirt and jeans most days. Yes there are smaller lighter guns out there. But for me the 1911 is the ultimate firearm. It works for me.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I haven't carried my RIA 1911. I have carried my Citadel 1911 compact. The weight didn't bother me. It got replaced as EDC when I got my P365.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of Sig 1911s and all shot great. I am carrying a Ruger full size SR1911 right now. With a good belt and holster, It is no problem for me to carry.
Holster is a Winthrop Pancake with matching mag carrier and my belt a Nexbelt nylon gun belt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the SIG 1911 but as far as size of carrying 1911s go....

I had carried a DW full stainless CBOB (Commander sized) but after acquiring a DW CCO (much lighter Commander slide on an Officer's aluminum frame), it became my EDC. Liked it so much I bought a "spare." Big Grin

CBOB

Brace of CCOs

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience with the Sig 1911 platform, which is odd since there's about every other Sig made in the house. As for 1911's and carry, I have many years doing so.

Others have already mentioned the CCO models (Commander slide/Officers frame - this is what I found to be the best CCW sized single stack .45. They are lightweight, offer decent sight radius and full size gun options, the grip is big enough to use and you can carry some full size mags as reloads to stuff it full if you like.

The big brother full size guns are ok for OWB/IWB if you dress right, but they are heavy. The little Officers models are ok, but some have reliability issues and are quite the handful to torch off. The CCO seems to be the best of all worlds for this type of pistol. Just my experience.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I'm going to go check it out again this week I'll keep you posted thanks again for the help

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I should also note that mine has required "shooting in" to become reliable. I have about 200 rounds through it, and it is reliable with the supplied Novak magazines, but is not yet reliable with GI mags. I have a MecGar 8 round stainless to try with it, but have not yet done so.

I understand this was a "feature" of the early guns are they are quite tight. I believe this problem has been resolved with later guns, and I have not sent this gun back to SIG, and won't, until I have at least 500 through it.

No problems with extraction, but occasional misfeed toward the bottom of the magazine (round 6 or 7) from a GI mag.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I bought that same pistol about three years ago and have been very satisfied with it. Yes, it's a bit heavy but that also equates to stable. It's very accurate and it's never failed to cycle or fire. I'm glad that I bought it and don't plan on letting it go.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
All steel, formerly carried, but now reassigned to home defense and range duty. (Sig 1911 .45 "Nightmare" Carry.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear that you are happy with that model I was hoping for some feedback on that one . I don't mind the weight like you said should help with recoil since it's not full size

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have the Sig 1911 C3 model, carried it in an OWB holster for about a year, nice gun, haven't shot it in a while as it left rotation for higher capacity lighter guns or same capacity smaller firearms...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post