SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Trigger....What to do about gritty trigger?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Trigger....What to do about gritty trigger? Login/Join 
Picture of Howie in AZ
posted
I recently bought a Sig P320 9mm with the Romeo sight. It is very accurate but the trigger is gritty and heavy.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it better?

Thanks

Posts: 90 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know what you consider heavy and gritty. What I mean is, if you're used to a 1911 trigger, just about anything will feel that way. However if you're used to Glocks, well there's probably something to it. Do you have access to another P320 for comparison?

The easiest thing is to send it off to someone to do a trigger job. But that's also gonna be costly. If you can get a smith to put a gauge on the trigger and you repeatedly get like 8+ pounds, I'd put a call into SIG.

You can try to diagnose what is causing the feel. I'd start by taking the slide off and manipulating the trigger. Obviously the weight will disappear, as you're not engaging the sear to the striker. But if you're still feeling grit, then it's not a burr on the striker. Then I'd remove the FCU from the grip. If the grit goes away, something is rubbing the grip module. If it's still gritty, something in the FCU is the cause.

If the grit and weight went away just with the slide off, then it's the sear/striker interface. Look at both to see if there's anything visible. If so, you can try to smooth it. You're not trying to remove material, you're trying to flatten/smooth it. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it. Try a lot of dry fire (or live) and see if they smooth out on their own.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Try a Grayguns trigger replacement.

But “gritty” and “heavy” are relative terms. If you’re comparing it to a tuned 1911 trigger by a top tier maker, you may be out of luck for getting it the way you want. In my experience with P320 triggers, they all have some degree of creep (which some people describe as “gritty,” and yet is something I prefer), and pull weights aren’t in the breathe on it to discharge range.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put Grayguns triggers in mine and I find them perfectly good duty style triggers. Very good actually. I have both flat and curved and I go back and forth on which I prefer. I think flat currently.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own four P320 pistols, in various vintages and configurations, and they all exhibit somewhat different trigger characteristics.

You did not note whether you purchased new or used, or whether the pistol came with, or has been upgraded to, the Sig voluntary "drop-fire" sear and trigger system? If you are not familiar with this upgrade there have been numerous threads on this forum, and elsewhere, regarding the upgrade. Opinions differ regarding the merit of the upgrade, but I personally recommend it, and I would suggest you do that before attempting to diagnose or fix the gritty trigger. You will find photos of the slide cut and sear arrangement on this forum and on the web for reference if you are unsure whether your pistol has the upgraded configuration.

More specific to your question, I can offer my experience with the trigger "feel" on my P320 pistols. I have the following:

320F-9-B, Date Nov 12, 2014. This was my first, acquired it in a trade in 2015. I purchased the original GGI PELT trigger for this pistol, prior to the drop-fire upgrade. I sent the pistol to Sig for upgrade, and then I replaced that trigger with the newer PELT when GGI exchanged them last year with their new "drop-fire upgrade" PELT. This pistol exhibits the best trigger feel of the four pistols.

320F-45-BSS, Date May 18, 2016. Purchased this one new when the .45 Auto versions first came out. This pistol doesn't get shot much. It was sent to Sig for the upgraded trigger, and still runs that configuration. The trigger feels heavier on this pistol, but not gritty. I don't have a trigger gauge, so can't measure the actual weight.

320F-9-TSS-RX, Date Oct 11, 2016. This was purchased new from Cabelas in Dec 2016 and came with the Romeo sight. I upgraded to the original GGI PELT trigger, prior to sending back to Sig for the upgrade, and have now replaced that trigger with the newer PELT when GGI exchanged them last year. The trigger on this one does not feel as smooth or light as trigger on my first P320 as described above, but it also does not have more than 400-500 rounds thru it.

320X5-9-BAS, Date Feb 21, 2018. Purchased this new this past spring, it is the full size X5, and came with the upgraded trigger from the factory. While it feels somewhat improved over my other P320 pistols in stock form, it is still not as crisp as the trigger on my first P320 after the Sig and PELT upgrades.

All four of the P320 pistols exhibit a little bit of a "spongy" or "squishy" feel, not crisp like you would get with a 1911 trigger. The trigger feel changes when I swap slides and FCU's between the X5 and original FS 9mm, and the "best" trigger feel between these four comes from my original FS with the upgraded Sig and GGI PELT arrangement.

I discussed some of these details with Robert Burke earlier this year when I dropped off my P229 for his magic (well worth the $$, by the way), and sending the P320 out for custom work would be my choice if I eventually decide to get one of these pistols tuned for my intended usage. GGI could perform this work as well. My dilemma is that spending the $$ on trigger work for the X5 would seem the logical choice, but I haven't warmed up to the different grip on the X5, and may eventually stay with the original P320 for my casual target use.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I own four P320 pistols, in various vintages and configurations, and they all exhibit somewhat different trigger characteristics.

A quite common thing among striker designs. You can have a series of 4, maybe 5 consecutive s/n guns of the same version and each has a noticeably different trigger pulls. At the shop I see this more often than an average buyer might normally assume to be the case.

---------

As mentioned in above posts, 'grittiness' and heavy pull weight are relative to what a user is already used to. I've encountered NIB 320s fresh from SIG with what I would call 'dirtier than normal' trigger actions. Chalk it up to tolerance variance commonplace with many striker designs. Plus the 320 trigger group has plenty of parts and bits to stack tolerances with.

A 'heavy' trigger however is less common IMO. A 320 trigger should normally break in that 5-6lb range (+/- a few tenths or so). Anything significantly less and you're tempting fate with a striker unless the 320 is equipped with a thumb safety. The only time I've experience a new 320 with abnormally heavy trigger action, the trigger group was deemed defective and the gun was sent back to the factory for repair. It came back much better, so I was told.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seven P320 pistols presently, and the triggers are all consistent. None gritty. I'm not a P320 armorer. One of the best voices in the business seems to be Bruce Grey; it may be worth getting with him directly. If the pistol is unacceptable out of the box, then first reconcile with Sig.

Have you lubricated the pistol?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Dry fire and live fire. It’s a striker fired gun and is manageable with proper fundamentals.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! If your trigger feel is objectionable, please send it to me. I’ll fix it up as a favour to you. I wouldn’t want you to pursue options which lead to safety issues or warrantee-killing weirdness. From our competition-oriented action packages to replacement triggers for duty, everything we offer maintains factory safety values, and is guaranteed for life. Even if it’s free to Forum member.

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Hi! If your trigger feel is objectionable, please send it to me. I’ll fix it up as a favour to you. I wouldn’t want you to pursue options which lead to safety issues or warrantee-killing weirdness. From our competition-oriented action packages to replacement triggers for duty, everything we offer maintains factory safety values, and is guaranteed for life. Even if it’s free to Forum member.

Well shit. It doesn't get much better than that lol

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
It doesn't get much better than that lol

Yet again. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To the OP, I'd take that deal, you won't be disappointed.

Bruce, very generous offer.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
quote:

To the OP, I'd take that deal, you won't be disappointed.

Bruce, very generous offer.

+1 No brainer.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Howie, go for that!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Dang, wish I had complained about mine... but in reality I think it is pretty good for a striker fired... a tad better with a Gray Guns trigger I installed myself.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Glock. Not as pretty, half as gritty Wink

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Howie in AZ
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray, I thank you for the offer but I am willing to pay for your expertise.
Finally got the email to send it to you, and it ships out today.
I eagerly await getting it back.

Posts: 90 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi Howie! I’ll look for your blower and get it fixed up for you. I have always had a policy of offering assistance to our fellow Sigforum members, but never ambulance-chasing ‘em. If you don’t mind covering some shipping, I’d be grateful! Thank you for your faith in us. ❤️

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You're a stand up guy, Bruce, and no mistake.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Howie in AZ
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray, my 320C arrived at your facility yesterday. I am excited.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Howie in AZ,