SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Small da/sa handgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small da/sa handgun Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I believe the Beretta Nano is a slim, single-stack, subcompact DAO 9mm. I don't know if it's pocket-able, but it might be worth checking out.

I had a Nano...IIRC, it's striker-fired, though -- not what most people mean when they talk about "DAO".

I just looked it up. You're right, the Nano is striker-fired. I was probably thinking of the Pico, which is DAO.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Get a S&W CS9. You will be glad you did. I sold my last J-frame after aquiring my CS9. Great pistol. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Get a S&W CS9.

quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
S&W CS-9 is the only answer if DA/SA.

The CS9 is a great subcompact DA/SA 9mm, but unless you're built like the Incredible Hulk, it's too chunky for pocket carry (which is what the OP wants). It's bigger than a Glock 26.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wanting a pocket sized (think P938) DA/SA for years. Unfortunately, it appears to be unobtainable. Thus, I pocket carry a P938 and have spent many hours and dollars making mine reasonably reliable.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig 290RS. DAO. Solid gun. Fits in the pocket easily. Very accurate. You can put your thumb on the hammer when drawing. It feels similar to a revolver hammer. I am used to double action revolvers and I have had no problem with it.
I feel safe carrying it, unlike a striker fired pistol with a 5 lb or less trigger pull. I won't carry one of those with a round in the chamber, but this one I would.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
My CS9 has been modified with cut down Delrin grips and a rounded mag baseplate from a 3913TSW. While pocket carry is not a preferred mode, for me, it is doable.

With a DeSantis Nemesis holster, I have carried my modified CS9 in the front pocket of 511 pants. And it printed less than my former 442. Slightly heavier though. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wife carries/loves her LC9, I think they may be discontinued, but still available. Tons of LC9S out there that is the striker version. The LC9 is not a traditional DA even though it's listed as so. It requires the slide to be racked to fire, so you get no second strike attempt, if you get a bad strike.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've carried the LC9 or LC9s since 2011. the LC9s has been flawless and is a big improvement. I'm not sure how big a firearm you are willing to carry to have restrike capability (SCCY or Bersa ?) or only from major manufacturers. Ruger may still quietly put out the EC9s just like Sig has the SP2022. good hunting.

very reasonable mag price:
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/2-...nded-floorplate.html

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
P290. It's perfect for pocket carry as a DAO and pocket holsters are not hard to find. Mine has been perfectly reliable.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not be happier with my PM9.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glocks and other striker fired pistols are perfectly safe, even in a pocket. I carry a g43 in a kydex pocket holster daily. I also had a nasty wreck on my dirt bike where I dislocated and broke my shoulder/elbow. And I landed right smack on my Glock 20. Even had a nasty bruise on my side the shape of my Glock slide, damn near perfectly rectangular.

Hell I feel more comfortable with my G43 than I ever did with my 938. I was constantly sticking my hand in my pocket to make sure the safety was still on. With a Glock if you don’t pull the trigger it doesn’t go off. A heavier connector will just make it harder to shoot and you’re not gaining much in the safety department

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I believe the Beretta Nano is a slim, single-stack, subcompact DAO 9mm. I don't know if it's pocket-able, but it might be worth checking out.

(OWB/IWB/AIWB).

I have a Nano and it is my regular CCW gun. I wouldn’t say it is a pocket holster unless you are wearing cargo pants. When it gets cooler, it does work well in jacket/coat pockets.

As mentioned, it is a striker but it really shoots like and is a DAO pistol. I find mine to be accurate and completely reliable. I just put 50 rounds through it yesterday at the range practicing for qualifications next month. Shooting DAO is more of a challenge that DA/SA or a striker but I was still able to “qualify” during practice yesterday. I would not hesitate to recommend a Nano to anyone. In fact, I haven’t been able to justify the P365, despite the capacity advantage, because of how well my Nano performs.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Glocks and other striker fired pistols are perfectly safe, even in a pocket.

This is the correct answer. Glock 42 or 43 in the pocket in a pocket holster will never ever go off. Extremely safe and reliable.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
in the pocket in a pocket holster

THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH. Pocket holster and NOTHING ELSE in that pocket.

Frankly the Jframe should be no different but is slightly more forgiving.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
The Kel-Tec PF9 is, AFAIK, the smallest, lightest DAO 9mm out there.

Nyet, comrade.

I stand corrected. I guess "AFAIK" wasn't "F" enough.

But I didn't know that Rohrbaughs were Russian ...

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
I've carried the LC9 or LC9s since 2011. the LC9s has been flawless and is a big improvement. I'm not sure how big a firearm you are willing to carry to have restrike capability (SCCY or Bersa ?) or only from major manufacturers. Ruger may still quietly put out the EC9s just like Sig has the SP2022. good hunting.

My LC9s is pretty much the only gun I carry anymore. It rides in my right hip pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis and I hardly even know it's there.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both the DA only P290 & the striker fired P365. Either will do for pocket carry (if you have well reinforced, holster lined pockets) but are bit on the bulky side in my view.

Given a choice between the two, I'd go with a P365 over the P290 for it's outstanding sights, better trigger, greater capacity, superb reliability and lighter weight (17.8 vs. 20 oz's). The 365 is 1/10" to 1/3" bigger in most dimensions, but again it's lighter by over 2 oz., and is just so outstanding in its attributes that I'd gladly adjust my wardrobe to accomodate it.

That said, I'll also admit that as a rule, I seldom pocket carry, choosing instead to employ a slim OWB holster at the 4 o'clock position, for either gun.

I do own a S&W Bodyguard 380 for situations where I absolutely cannot carry in the OWB. It slips into a front jeans or rear pocket easily, but is severely compromised by caliber, poor sights, and miniscule size. It's better than a rock, but not by much.

Believe me, the P365 handles and shoots like a much bigger gun but conceals like a micro. It's head and shoulders better than the P290. YMMv Rod

The pic below shows a typical 10 yd, 10 shot P365 group and the gun's relative size. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post