SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Small da/sa handgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small da/sa handgun Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I currently carry a SW 442 38spl in my front pocket. I'm looking to get a small 9mm for a little extra punch, but only if it's a dao or da/sa. What can you recommend?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any true pocket pistols that are DA/SA 9mms. There are some options which are subcompacts, but a bit too large for pocket carry, like the Sig P224, HK P30SK, or S&W CS9.

However, there are some DAO pocket 9mms, like the Sig P290 or Rohrbaugh R9.

In addition, the Kahr PM9/CM9/MK9 are pocket-sized pistols that, while striker-fired, have a long trigger pull in the style of a DAO handgun. If it doesn't have to have a hammer, one of these Kahrs would be my suggestion for a pocket 9mm with a similar trigger feel to your 442 (just as long, but lighter). The MK9 is all metal and a bit fancier, but heavier than your 442. The PM9 is polymer framed, so lighter than the MK9 and just barely lighter than your 442. And the CM9 is the budget version of the PM9, with less fancy finishing externally but internally the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Springfield XD-E. It's single stack DA/SA. Might be a tiny big too big for a pocket, but might fit your needs.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
HK
P2000sk
P30sk

Springfield
XD-E

CZ
Rami / Rami BD

SIG
P239 (out of production)
P224 (out of production)

Smith
3913 (out of production)
CS9 (out of production)

Walther
P99as compact (striker fired but true DA/SA operation. Weird sounding but in practice fantastic.

Those are a few that pop to mind quickly.

I don’t think you will find any true “pocket pistols” that meet your needs. Also even the true small 9mm pocket guns don’t draw or carry as nicely in a pocket as a Jframe. IMO.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't messed around with the G-43's yet, outside of just shooting one.
Does anyone know if you can put in the New York trigger in a G-43?

That might fit your bill if you're looking for a pocket pistol with a heavier trigger.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I was going to bring up the CZ Rami also, but it's going to be big compared to the J-frame.

If safety is your issue deal with that explicitly and get the manual safety version of the SIG P365. You'll just have to train the safety manipulation into your muscle memory.

Another option in the realm of discontinued guns is the old SIG P290RS. If you want an auto with the most DA revolver like trigger imaginable, this is your gun. And also quite small.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This what Sig needs to exploit. Reintroduce a slimmed down P250 series!! Or a small single stack P2022 Sigpro.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what the P290RS was (single stack P250.) It wasn't particularly popular. In point of fact the entire P250 line was never very popular. So don't expect anything like that to come back. The world seems to have gone striker.

quote:
Originally posted by sox:
This what Sig needs to exploit. Reintroduce a slimmed down P250 series!! Or a small single stack P2022 Sigpro.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re not going to find a pocket sized pistol in DA/SA. But a Kahr cm9 would work great for you. It’s about as small as you’re gonna get in 9mm, it has a trigger that feels very much like a DA revolver trigger pull, but it’s pretty smooth.
And if you’re not used to carrying a gun with a safety don’t. Unless you put in a TON of practice. I tried it, loved my 938 but just couldn’t reliably get that safety off when doing drills with it at the range. And I put an honest effort into it.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the Beretta Nano is a slim, single-stack, subcompact DAO 9mm. I don't know if it's pocket-able, but it might be worth checking out.

The smallest DA/SA 9mm I can think of is the Beretta PX4 Subcompact, but it's a double-stack gun so probably not pocket-friendly, but should be fine in some kind of belt holster (OWB/IWB/AIWB).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I believe the Beretta Nano is a slim, single-stack, subcompact DAO 9mm. I don't know if it's pocket-able, but it might be worth checking out.

I had a Nano. It's on the outer edge of pocketable. It depends on how big your pockets are and how well your physique allows you to keep your pants up -- it's a heavy little sucker as pocket guns go. IIRC, it's striker-fired, though -- not what most people mean when they talk about "DAO".

The Kel-Tec PF9 is, AFAIK, the smallest, lightest DAO 9mm out there. I'm hesitant to recommend it because I had problems with mine, but there are others who have nothing bad to say about them. YMMV, etc. Do a bit of research and form your own conclusion. For what it's worth, Kel-Tec's warranty and customer service are top-notch.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Not yet. But Glock makes an increased pull (8.0-lbf) connector 33847 for the G42/43, equivalent to the PLUS connector ("Miami" trigger) used in larger Glocks

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
The Kel-Tec PF9 is, AFAIK, the smallest, lightest DAO 9mm out there.

Nyet, comrade.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Guns America has ten P290's listed. Many are listed as new. They are a mix of 9 and 380 cal. I've been considering one as a pocket pistol.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Rogue- Rohrbaugh needs VZ grips. Carbon fiber are slippery.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P225
P239

Posts: 717 | Location: Keystone State  | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:

I had a Nano. It's on the outer edge of pocketable. It depends on how big your pockets are and how well your physique allows you to keep your pants up -- it's a heavy little sucker as pocket guns go. IIRC, it's striker-fired, though -- not what most people mean when they talk about "DAO".

The Kel-Tec PF9 is, AFAIK, the smallest, lightest DAO 9mm out there. I'm hesitant to recommend it because I had problems with mine, but there are others who have nothing bad to say about them. YMMV, etc. Do a bit of research and form your own conclusion. For what it's worth, Kel-Tec's warranty and customer service are top-notch.

I’ve had 2 kel-tec pf9’s and they are shit guns. Even if it works the trigger is terrible and bites with recoil, the gun is absolutely miserable to fire more than one box of ammo at a time and the finish is a few steps below cheap spray paint.
If you’re broke and your drug dealer is after you then fine get one but they are not worth mentioning. Besides they are a bit big for a pocket

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 442 ankle gun with a Kahr CM9. It has a similar long trigger pull as the Smith, shoots a slightly hotter round, has better sights, and 2 more booletts!

Dimensionally it's pretty close. The Kahr is a little heavier fully loaded (17 vs 21ozs), but on the rare occasion I put it the front pocket of my cargo shorts I don't see much of a differenc. I use an Alabama pocket holster in kydex.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
S&W CS-9 is the only answer if DA/SA. If DAO hammer fired, find a P290. I had one. It was ok. Really small.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I haven't messed around with the G-43's yet, outside of just shooting one.

That might fit your bill if you're looking for a pocket pistol with a heavier trigger.

Midwest gun works shows a ny spring for the Glock 42 and 43.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post