SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P250 and P320 What are the differences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P250 and P320 What are the differences? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Likely this has been discussed before. I've been off the forum for a while.

I see the P250 has been restricted to .22 now and the P320 seems to be taking off. How different are they really other than striker rather than hammer and what seems to be a much better trigger.

I can see some visual design differences. How different are they really and why, do you think, the P250 just didn't make it and the P320 has?

I have an early P250 and just didn't like it very much. I'm considering dropping some money on a P320 X5 and using either the compact or carry for regular carry. I've preferred a P229 in the past.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If im not mistaken the P250 has a DAO trigger while a P320 has a striker fired trigger similar to a Glock..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the current or most recent generation of the P250 and the P320 share the same grip modules and magazines. They both have a fire control group that resides in a stainless chassis that inserts into the grip module. And there the similarity pretty much ends.

The SIG P250 is a "true" double action only pistol, very unlike nearly all the striker-fired pistols that call themselves DAO. Like most other double action only hammer-fired pistols and double action revolvers, it has a trigger pull that is quite long and rather heavier than the majority of striker-fired weapons. The P320 has a fairly typical trigger action for a striker-fired weapon, much shorter and somewhat lighter.

Why the P250 did not take off is multifactorial from what I gather. The first generation had reliability issues which included failures to fire. Most of these were subsequently rectified, but by then the law enforcement agencies that had initially been a big part of the target market for the pistol had lost interest.

The P250 also has a proprietary non-dovetailed rear sight that cannot be swapped for aftermarket sights which bothered some people.

My gut feeling is that a lot of people who thought they knew what a "DAO" pistol was all about, because they had been shooting a striker-fired pistol that called itself DAO, were taken aback by the quite long trigger pull. Individuals who had experience shooting double action revolvers or other DAO hammer-fired pistols seemed generally satisfied with the P250 trigger action.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Well said! If you are an old school revolver dude, you will likely find the P250 to be a natural.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post