SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 42 range report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 42 range report Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Picked up a G42 this morning and took it straight into the range.

Wiped some of the bronze colored packing grease out, but not thoroughly. No other cleaning was done.

Shot 195 rounds of various types. Used 4 mags: 2 -02 I got from Greg Cote and 2 -03 that came with the gun.

50 rounds Prvi, 50 rounds American Eagle, 25 rounds Blazer Brass, 25 rounds Critical Defense, 25 rounds Gold Dot and 20 rounds of HST.

I had one failure to chamber during the first box on the second round of a magazine. I am almost certain this was user-induced because I had done a speed reload and I don't think I seated the mag the whole way.

On almost every type of ammo I had an occasional failure to lock back on the last round, but I can definitively say it was my finger on the slide release. I could feel my thumb touch the catch, so not the gun's fault. Had no failures to lock on the HST, however.

Trigger was definitely heavier than any Glock right out of the box, but it smoothed out and seemed to get lighter just from dry fire. It actually doesn't have as much take up as other Glocks, IMO, even if it's heavier. Trigger didn't keep me from shooting quarter sized groups at 3 yards.

Gun begs to have the Glock U sights changed out. I never noticed it before when I shot other 42s, but that front blade is SO wide for such a short sight radius. It was hard to get a good sight picture. Will be adding Trijicon HDs eventually.

Mags don't drop free, but that's not too unusual for a Glock, and these ones are way lighter than your average Glock mags.

Two things I learned: Federal HST recoils like a MOTHER. Seriously, felt like the .357sig I was shooting immediately afterwards and gave what felt like horrible trigger slap. Also, whoever created Federal's packaging should be dragged through the streets.

Knowing HST seems to underpenetrate in the gel tests I've seen, I'll fire the last box I have and then never again. I'll go with Gold Dots for now, once I put another 100 through it. I am going to try some of the Lehigh XD loads from Underwood (plus Lehigh is local) and see how that works out. Tests I've seen look promising.

Now just gotta get the gun into the Raven Concealment Morrigan and the Stealthgear AIWB I got for it and test their fit.

Overall, quite pleased with the little pea shooter.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I thought the bronze colored grease was supposed to be left in there as a lubricant.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I thought the bronze colored grease was supposed to be left in there as a lubricant.

^^^^
Definitely.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Eh, really?

Oh well. This is my first Glock since 2003 maybe, so I'd never seen such a thing.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
I love the G42, it's one of the few 380's you can shoot all day and not rfeel it later.

For what it's worth I've never had a single failure of any kind with mine. Granted I've only shot Federal FMJ, Hornandy CD and some new stuff called American Gunner.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
The ones made may 2016-present should have the new connector which usually yields a 4.5-5.5# pull. The older ones are hit or miss, sometimes upwards of 9+ lbs. I am lucky that even my older one is good. You can always .25 cent trigger job it. When was it built? Lotta changes internally just over a year ago.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
^^^^
Definitely.
Hello, longtime Glock shooter here to dispel that rumor. The copper colored lubricant is Loctite C5-A. It's an anti-seize agent. It's copper and graphite suspended in a petroleum grease. The stuff is resistant to high temperatures and won't run off or burn off. If your Glock is sitting in a warehouse in Dubai for two years, the Loctite C5-A stays in place, won't run off like conventional lubes.

Do you know what happens to your Glock if the very moment you pick it up you clean every last bit of this anti-seize agent off if it? Not a damn thing, just as long as you lubricate the pistol with any other qualified lube. The stuff is not magical and it doesn't "get into the pores of the metal". Metal is not porous, and the surface is coated anyway. If you wipe it off but want to put it back on later, C5-A is readily available online.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post