SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tampa Police Department Replaces Official Duty Pistol with SIG SAUER P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tampa Police Department Replaces Official Duty Pistol with SIG SAUER P320 Login/Join 
Picture of CHLP290
posted
Ammoland Inc. Posted on June 11, 2018 by AmmoLand Editor Duncan Johnson

Newington, N.H. –-(Ammoland.com)- SIG SAUER, Inc., is pleased to announce the Tampa Police Department will replace their official duty pistol from the Smith & Wesson M&P, to the SIG SAUER P320. The Tampa Police Department has over 1,000 sworn officers, covering three districts that encompass the entire municipality of Tampa, Florida.

“SIG SAUER is honored to earn the trust of the men and women of the Tampa Police Department through their selection of the P320 pistol as their official duty pistol,” began Tom Jankiewicz, Executive Vice president, Law Enforcement Sales, SIG SAUER, Inc. “The modularity of the P320, with its ability to select grip size, combined with the proven reliability, accuracy, and safety of the firearm made it the right choice for this diverse group of officers.”

The P320 is a modular, striker-fired pistol available in full-size, carry, compact, and subcompact sizing. The serialized trigger group makes the P320 adaptable to multiple caliber, size, and grip options. The P320 is available in 9mm, .357SIG, 40S&W, and .45ACP, with a choice of contrast, or SIGLITE Night Sights. The intuitive 3-point takedown requires no trigger pull for disassembly, and safety features include a striker safety, disconnect safety, and optional manual safety.

The Tampa Police Department will acquire 1,375, P320 pistols to replace their current Smith & Wesson M&P’s as the approved official duty pistol.

“We here at SIG SAUER are very proud to gain the confidence of the Tampa PD and assist them in safely carrying out their department’s mission – to reduce crime and enhance the quality of life through a cooperative partnership with all citizens,” concluded Jankiewicz.

US Army Veteran
Proud NRA Member
Sig P229 40 Cal.
Sig P290RS 9mm
Sig P320C 40 Cal
Sig P365 9mm
Sig 516G2 Patrol
Sig 716G2 DMR
Sig MCX Virtus 300 BO
Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun
Savage Axis II XP 30-06

Posts: 92 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
What caliber? NCSBI scheduled to transition to P320's .45acp, but had many failures during testing. Sig and NCDPS mutually agreed to cancel the order. This, at the time, was after Sig focused their attention to the military contract.

NCSBI went Gen 4 Glocks.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
What caliber? NCSBI scheduled to transition to P320's .45acp, but had many failures during testing. Sig and NCDPS mutually agreed to cancel the order. This, at the time, was after Sig focused their attention to the military contract.

NCSBI went Gen 4 Glocks.

Surprised to hear this. I took a class at the Sig Academy and the guy next to me had his H&K go down. The Academy lent him an P320 in 45acp and he shot a couple of thousand rounds through it the rest of the week without a flaw.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
quote:

NCSBI went Gen 4 Glocks.

Surprised to hear this. I took a class at the Sig Academy and the guy next to me had his H&K go down. The Academy lent him an P320 in 45acp and he shot a couple of thousand rounds through it the rest of the week without a flaw.

Ah, yes. I remember. The only time I have witnessed an HK go down hard....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats NCSBI?

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
Whats NCSBI?

http://www.ncsbi.gov

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

NCSBI went Gen 4 Glocks.

Just a curiosity, what HK model was it that failed and failed how?

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPNunes:
quote:
quote:
quote:

NCSBI went Gen 4 Glocks.

Just a curiosity, what HK model was it that failed and failed how?

MK23. Something in the external safety system/decocker locked up internally.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding and letting me know. Smile

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only time I have witnessed an HK go down hard....

NJ State Trooper Scott M. Gonzalez died when the firing pin failed on the issue P7M8 handguns. Not long after that, then Gov. Kristie Whitman ordered a new handgun to be issued immediately without a bid process. Unfortunately, the SW99 was no better. eventually the P228 was issued.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So not only an HK but THE HK. Smile. Wow.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that particular HK had been rebuilt several times . I know my agency traded out of our issued P7M8s around the same time.
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
The only time I have witnessed an HK go down hard....

NJ State Trooper Scott M. Gonzalez died when the firing pin failed on the issue P7M8 handguns. Not long after that, then Gov. Kristie Whitman ordered a new handgun to be issued immediately without a bid process. Unfortunately, the SW99 was no better. eventually the P228 was issued.

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
MK23. Something in the external safety system/decocker locked up internally.

Thankfully the MK23 doubles as a bludgeoning weapon, so it's not like the shooter was defenseless. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I was saddened to read of the NJSP officer death. These internet links shows that he was able to discharge his service weapon seven times in self-defense against a lethal shotgun attack after his cruiser was rammed.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/1...per-scott-m-gonzalez

http://www.njsp.org/memoriam/1990s/gonzalez.shtml

As the P7M8 holds eight rounds, and he was able to shoot and wound the assailant even though himself gravely wounded, it appears that the P7M8 did not fail. The entire incident is just a horrible event that shows once again how our officers risk it all every day.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post