SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    40 SW vs 357 Sig
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 SW vs 357 Sig Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I find that the .357 Sig has recoil similar to a hot 9mm round. The fotay, though, rocks back in my hand much more, and over a long time might cause wrist damage.

However, I think a quality 9mm round would be better overall for most persons. Accuracy and speed should be somewhat higher, and you are carrying more rounds.

Of course, with the .357 Sig, only one round is required. After all, how many warheads is enough?

When faced with less than three million attackers, a single shot should suffice. Anything more would be overkill.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig, all day long!

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
quote:

.357 Magnum, 4" bbl, 600 ft/lbs, and 1500 fps. Muzzle energy goes up from there.

.357 Sig, 4" bbl, 1300-1400 fps, 500-550 ft-lbs, and the increase is fairly flat.

.357 Sig doesnt have a lot of potential past touching the lower limit of .357 Magnum. The .357 Magnum, on the other hand, has much greater potential.

Sure, but lets do apples to apples again. Boutique ammo like Underwood, etc that load the Magnum to it's potential, And it definitely outperforms any commercial 38 Super load.

This just in from Underwood ammo about their .38 Super:
Muzzle Velocity:1640 fps
Muzzle Energy: 537 ft. lbs.
Penetration: 17.5 inches
All of that with the capacity of a 9...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

This just in from Underwood ammo about their .38 Super:
Muzzle Velocity:1640 fps
Muzzle Energy: 537 ft. lbs.
Penetration: 17.5 inches
All of that with the capacity of a 9...

It's not "just in." Underwood has been overstuffing cartridges to the breaking point for some time, now.

What they're not doing is making pistols...and very few manufacturers are making pistols (or aftermarket barrels) in .38 Super.

.357 Sig is an option in many .40 pistols. .357 Sig ammunition is a lot easier to find than .38 Super. .40 is a lot easier to find than .357 Sig.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
There is virtually no difference in the field results of most service cartridges (eg 9X19, .40, .45). This is not true of .357 Sig.

While other service cartridges produce an entry, and occasionally exit wound and eventual incapacitation by blood loss or central nervous system damage, the .357 Sig leaves no trace, except the faint outline of the subject remains etched in brick or rock walls as evidence that the subject ever existed. Stucco, drywall, or wood panels are simply vaporized along with the subject. In some cases, the very memory of the subject is diminished or completely erased from the minds of those who knew them. All that, and no recoil. At least, none that can be remembered.

I fired one once. I immediately got a set of six-pack abs, my hair all grew back and I suddenly knew all the lyrics to every Ted Nugent song ever recorded. Wouldn't have been a bad thing, but it got all three of the women standing nearby pregnant.

Use with caution.

Smile
Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience with both calibers and the same gun...

.357 SIG shot much flatter, more accurate and less muzzle rise/recoil.

The downside was noise and muzzle flash.

I would also recommend more range time with said gun/caliber.

quote:
Originally posted by jumbeaux:
This has probably been discussed before but, faced with the option of a P229 in 40 S&W or 357 Sig for home defense which would you choose and why ? I realize that ammo costs vary but it will be fired for initial break in then kept loaded with JHP ammo. It will be fired once or twice a year at the range. Thank you...

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I find that the .357 Sig has recoil similar to a hot 9mm round. The fotay, though, rocks back in my hand much more, and over a long time might cause wrist damage.

However, I think a quality 9mm round would be better overall for most persons. Accuracy and speed should be somewhat higher, and you are carrying more rounds.

I will give you that splits with 9mm should be a bit faster, but I'm going to have to disagree with accuracy, at least when comparing to .357 SIG. I have found .357 SIG to be one of the most inherently accurate rounds I have tried.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will give you that splits with 9mm should be a bit faster, but I'm going to have to disagree with accuracy, at least when comparing to .357 SIG. I have found .357 SIG to be one of the most inherently accurate rounds I have tried.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I have no preference of caliber to offer. However, I will say that in a self-defense shooting, you will barely hear the gunshots (auditory exclusion is a fact). I know this from personal experience.

So, pick the caliber what you want based upon other factors...don't worry about the noise.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The straight wall 40 is easier to reload. More practice, more proficient.

Posts: 102 | Location: N.E. Wyoming | Registered: May 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a gently used or CPO 229 in 40 cal, add a decent 357 barrel and shoot em both. Only way you'll know for sure. It is a great time to shoot 40 right now with ammo prices.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The answer is both. By a .357 SIG barrel and play around with it. If you don't like it or .40, get a 9mm conversion barrel. The P229 is one of those guns that can swap calibers to whatever you want.

I have 9mm, 357Sig and 40S&W barrels for my X-5 Allround, P226 and P229 so I can take advantage of ammunition availability. I like them all but am partial to the 357S. I also have a P227 Elite waiting for Bar-Sto to come out with a 10mm conversion barrel. Smile

Posts: 54 | Registered: January 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post