SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gun for mom in her 70s. Arthritis in her hands.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun for mom in her 70s. Arthritis in her hands. Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A Shield or larger M&P is a pretty easy to shoot and understand gun. If she isn't willing or able to master the basic function of that setup, I would reconsider providing her with a gun.
Everyone has a right (well almost) to a gun but not everyone is a good candidate for a gun.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
It will be for carry mostly but if she gets familiar with it, I'm sure it will be her go to HD weapon as well. I appreciate all of the suggestions so far.

Any idea what carry mode she'll use? Holster...purse...pocket.

Years ago, whwn the NRA revised their Personal Protection courses (In & Outside the home), Instructors were required to take the certification course. It included live-fire range use of carry purses. While I understand women have problems carrying on their person, the purse option sucks. Convenient for actual carry, PITA for deploying. Still, better than nothing.

I used a Ruger SP101 3" with a bobbed hammer...ideal. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a striker pistol for purse carry. Especially with severe arthritis.

I'll still stand by my recommendation for a 3" revolver using wadcutters. Per sig operator, the .327 Mag looks viable/versatile as well. I've owned a number of 2" and 3" revolvers over the decades. Thw 3" are markedly easier to hit with than the shorties. Both point shooting and aimed fire.

Generally, a woman outside is more likely (than men) to be engaged at or near contact distance. No fear of being overpowered by the intended victim. Us men like to impress each other with larger guns and great groups at the traditional 7, 10 and 15 yard distances. A woman who carries has different requirements. A snubby or small semi-auto will work just fine.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
How about a Ruger LCR X in 327 magnum? Several cartridges of lower power available for practice and a hammer for single action if desired.
My Grandmother had an old 32 S&W revolver and she liked it.

That would be my suggestion, as well. LOVE the .327 LCR. You can put some mild (but effective) .32 H&Rs in it.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be for carry mostly but if she gets familiar with it, I'm sure it will be her go to HD weapon as well. I appreciate all of the suggestions so far.

For the HD part, does it have to be a handgun?

My step-dad in a similar situation went to a shotgun with a lighter load for HD.

Of course this doesn't answer what to use for carry.

FWIW: my elderly uncle ended up feeling most comfortable with a .25 ACP Colt. He is aware of the shortcomings of .25 ACP, but decided it was all he could handle with his elderly hands. Obviously most gun experts don't recommend the .25 ACP.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
My mom is 81 and I fixed her up with a S&W Model 31.
She is comfortable with it and does not fear it.
Anything else was too much.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I suggest a steel framed J-frame or SP101 with a 3” barrel. As for semi-autos; the all steel Kahr K9 is a great option. It has a revolver trigger and not a lot of buttons & levers. Recoil is also very mild with standard pressure 147’s.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My mom has bad arthritis also, and she quit shooting the 38 smith I gave her years ago due to the recoil.

I swapped it out wit a beretta tomcat and some cci minimags and she’s GTG now. She likes the fatter grip and less recoil.

I told her if she has to shoot anything with it, just empty the gun into it. One 22 might not stop a growling dog, but several 22s will.

She’s not a semiautomatic kinda person, but the tip up barrel sold her on it. I think Taurus makes one very similar

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cocked and locked Beretta Tom Cat, .32ACP.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend any of the Beretta pistols with a tip-up barrel: models 20,21,3220,86. All can be safely loaded by cocking and locking the hammer, putting a round in the tip up barrel and locking the barrel back in position. Then installing a loaded magazine. This safely provides a loaded, cocked pistol without ever retracting the slide or having to deal with a double action trigger.

Anothe option, if strength permits is the S&W M&P Shield EZ

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357p239:
I would recommend any of the Beretta pistols with a tip-up barrel: models 20,21,3220,86. All can be safely loaded by cocking and locking the hammer, putting a round in the tip up barrel and locking the barrel back in position. Then installing a loaded magazine. This safely provides a loaded, cocked pistol without ever retracting the slide or having to deal with a double action trigger.

Anothe option, if strength permits is the S&W M&P Shield EZ

Great minds think alike!

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've already commented and recommended the Shield EZ, but I can't emphasize enough that y'all have to handle one of these if you have not. It is amazingly easy to rack the slide. It is very easy to load the magazine.

I would say that if a person does not have the strength to manipulate a Shield 380EZ, then that person really has no business handling a firearm.

I get the comments about the Tomcat and the tip-up barrel, but it is so much smaller. Smaller guns are harder to handle-grip, reach the trigger, etc.

I am not a fanboy of S & W, at least not for semi-autos, but they absolutely nailed it with the 380EZ.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I appreciate every response.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would an HK p7 work? It is hard to rack the slide, but the trigger is super light and might be easy for her to use the squeeze cocker and light trigger.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rented the ez this week. It is easy to load and operate the slide. Recoil is mild. I would love to see it in a double stack.
I don't think most people needing this type of gun are going to be needing to reload and operate the slide. An extended firefight seems unlikely. A second loaded gun would serve in the home as a reload.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I agree with rogue about handgun selection but I totally agree on his other aspect since we dont know how proficent your mom is with handguns and what kind of threats she would encounter. I was picturing my mom in her 70's with a handgun, scary, wouldnt have trusted her with a wrist rocket, wouldnt want to hit by one either. Maybe a ruger lcr 22lr(8 shot) snubnose revolver or can of mace.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by giuseppepepperoni:
I bought my mother (83) a Shield EZ .380.

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Shield 380 EZ if you can convince her to try an auto.

That'd be my advice for a "little old lady" gun.

But the other aspect besides "Which gun should I get for my Mom?" is "Does my Mom actually want a gun?" If she's not willing to learn, practice, and potentially use it if necessary, it won't do any good. It's not just a talisman that will keep evil at bay if it's kept somewhere in the house.

Posts: 41 | Location: Spencerport, New York | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC, that squeeze cocker takes some strength.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Would an HK p7 work? It is hard to rack the slide, but the trigger is super light and might be easy for her to use the squeeze cocker and light trigger.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My mother went with the walther CCP. gas operated and easy to rack the slide. single stack and fairly ergonomic grip!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'd rather she improve her arthritis (RA?) and increase hand strength so she's not so limited on her choices.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m going to try her out with the tomcat, hk p2000 lem and p2000sk lem. If she can deal with the semi auto I may get her a 380 EZ.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’m going to try her out with the tomcat, hk p2000 lem and p2000sk lem. If she can deal with the semi auto I may get her a 380 EZ.

If she has trouble racking the HKs get her to a shop with the EZ to handle. When I was a dealer (I'm with a manufacturer now) I sold a lot of guns to elderly people with arthritis and other hand issues. Most of them wouldn't be able to rack the HK, and could do the EZ easily. It really was a bit of a game changer for the elderly hand strength issue crowd. It even has a little nub on the magazine to pull the follower down like you usually only see on .22s to make loading easier.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post