SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gun for mom in her 70s. Arthritis in her hands.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun for mom in her 70s. Arthritis in her hands. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I know it's been asked many times.

I've tried a 442 with apex kit. Can't pull the trigger. Too much recoil. She doesn't like or understand semi autos. 22s have pretty heavy triggers.

I'm going to try a sig 250 and hk p2000sk with lem but again she doesn't like or understand semi autos. Is there any revolver that she can pull the trigger on? Any suggestions for a purse gun are appreciated. Needs to be simple to operate.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the Kimber K6 6 shot 357 can get it in the DAO like the 442 or with a hammer. But a fantastic trigger pull and use 38 loads.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat. The tip up barrel means no slide to rack. If she can work the trigger, that is.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Shield 380 EZ if you can convince her to try an auto.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my mother (83) a Shield EZ .380.

She loves it.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When I was dealing with this issue for my wife, Randy Lee of Apex suggested buying a S&W 520 with a 7-shot titanium cylinder, in .38 Special.
He put in an Apex action, lowering DA trigger pull to about 5 pounds.
It’s heavy enough that recoil is not bad.
Full disclosure though: she’s hardly shot it, or anything else, for quite a while. I still think it’s the right handgun for her.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giuseppepepperoni:

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

That'd be my advice for a "little old lady" gun.

But the other aspect besides "Which gun should I get for my Mom?" is "Does my Mom actually want a gun?" If she's not willing to learn, practice, and potentially use it if necessary, it won't do any good. It's not just a talisman that will keep evil at bay if it's kept somewhere in the house.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by giuseppepepperoni:

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

That'd be my advice for a "little old lady" gun.

But the other aspect besides "Which gun should I get for my Mom?" is "Does my Mom actually want a gun?" If she's not willing to learn, practice, and potentially use it if necessary, it won't do any good. It's not just a talisman that will keep evil at bay if it's kept somewhere in the house.

I agree with all of this. The 380 EZ is very easy to use. Revolver with exposed hammer she can cock is another option. Failing that if she's unwilling to learn something as simple as a semi automatic is having a handgun really something she wants or is appropriate for her?

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
This is kind of my suggestion, except I would go with the beretta 84/85 variant that has the tip up barrel. Again, no need to rack a slide. .380 is a good caliber. And it’s a steel pistol that will mitigate recoil.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat. The tip up barrel means no slide to rack. If she can work the trigger, that is.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I know you said no semi autos. But I'm with these guys on the 380 EZ. My lady neighbor lacks hand strength. She can manage the slide, recoil, and trigger just fine.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I also read that you don't want an auto but I cast a vote for the Shield 380 EZ.

They are EZ to use. My wife has one, loves it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I will look into these. Thanks.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understanding is not necessary.
Will she practice alone? Probably not.
Will she practice with you? Hopefully.

Hand her a loaded P320, P365, Glock, S&W, PPQ, etc. Instruct her on how to aim and squeeze trigger. 10-17 times. As W.W. Greener said, if the peril has not passed by then, hastily reloading the handgun probably won't do any good. She doesn't really need to know what all the buttons and levers and slides and gadgets do. Just aim and squeeze.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what purpose? Home defense, carry, range fun?

Any gun she was interested in should be handled in-person. Her arthritis and limitations are unique to her.

I'm older than mom and have arthritis in the hands/fingers and other joints. First, the amount of degradation can vary by day.

Second, arthritis doesn'g get better over time. It's degenerative. If something works marginally when tried, it may not work as well later. Try to plan ahead.

Third, what's suitable for me or somebody elses mom may not be suitable for her. You're going to have to work with her and make that determination.

While the Shield EZ has a "light, crisp trigger" would it be safe for HER? Depends on the severity of the arthritis. Unique to mom.

Without more info, I'd be inclined to go with a .38 Spl revolver. Start with one that has a good, smooth, fairly light trigger to start with. Plan on the possibility of making it better by having action work done. Use full wadcutters (per Mas Ayoob). Different grips can be selected, if necessary. Depending on the purpose, consider a 3" rather than 2".

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 75 year old mother like her LCP much more than a snubby. She also wants my KSG are shooting it with mini-shells.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Ruger, is this a carry gun, or home defense. If she's not going to carry it (or purse carry it), I'd look for an ex-cop S&W model 10 or 64 (stainless version of the 10.) Bigger and heavier than the snubbies, so the weight will take up the recoil. Since it's used, the previous use may have smoothed out the trigger.

This may go against the grain, but out of 2" barrels, .38 is pretty anemic. Out of 4" barrel it can be acceptable. And, of course, you can get .38 rounds in everthing from puff ball wadcutters to near .357 velocities.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Shield 380EZ. It comes with or without a safety. A totally separate question as to whether a gun is appropriate for her, will she practice, etc.

BUT, if she wants a gun, a Shield EZ with no safety is no more complicated than a revolver to operate once loaded. I suggest a holster to keep the trigger covered, and then it's "remove from holster, point, pull trigger".

As for loading, the Shield EZ is very easy to rack the slide, and even easy to load a magazine. But that's for practice. For use, she's not going to be reloading.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It will be for carry mostly but if she gets familiar with it, I'm sure it will be her go to HD weapon as well. I appreciate all of the suggestions so far.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts, FWTW. My mother seems to feel like she really gets slapped with recoil with revolvers, so finding the right grips to suit her may be an issue. Also, if she really wants a revolver, perhaps the best bet is to talk to a local gunsmith (or one you're familiar with, anyway) about a revolver that takes the best trigger job while still firing reliably.

I wish I could recommend a good revolver based on my mother's experience, but she wound up being really happy with a Beretta 86 Cheetah that I found for her.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger LCR X in 327 magnum? Several cartridges of lower power available for practice and a hammer for single action if desired.
My Grandmother had an old 32 S&W revolver and she liked it.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post