SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the P250 "collectible?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the P250 "collectible?" Login/Join 
posted
Do you consider the P250 to be collectible?

I remember when I first took the P250 seriously and asked some fellow LEOs what they thought of the weapon while eating lunch at a local Greek restaurant in late 2009.

Now, I collect guns. I buy at least one gun each month. All are investments for my children.

The P250 seems to be forgotten as of late, but I am thinking of purchasing one as an investment.

Most of my "collectible" guns are far more expensive and recognizable than the P250. Nonetheless, I think this might be a highly desirable piece of weapons history that might be worth something one day. Not sure if my Sig bias (I carried a P226 as an officer) is influencing my thinking here.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Since this seems opinion based answers, my opinion is that any firearm is or can be collectible. I knew a guy who “collected” Lorcin, Raven, Jenning, Phoenix type pistols. We’re they expensive or desirable, no. We’re they collectible, he thought so.

So in the same vein of thinking, is the P250 collectible, absolutely. Many different calibers and sizes. Will they bring big bucks down the road, possibly, but I doubt it.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All guns are to some degree collectible, but to answer your question directly- no, not really.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the question is where they all went?

Some have said the HK LEM is the best trigger for LE because it is light but long, causes visible hammer movement, allows an officer to see if stress is causing them to finger the trigger and stop before it's too late, can be holstered thumb on hammer, etc. There was a really good article about this that I read that was probably linked from here.

And the P250 was basically a long light DAO similar to the LEM. Just was the wrong product at the wrong time as the market was moving away from DAO and DA/SA hammer pistols to striker fired DA-ish pistols. At the time I preferred DA/SA so I wasn't interested.

But you think now they'd turn up used in shops but you don't see them much at all. Guess the people that have them like them.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God, I hope so! I have 3. And remember, people now collect Edsels. And Corvairs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time thinking of them as collectible just because I still shoot mine from time to time.
quote:
To me the question is where they all went?

That's a damned good question. I think some fair number of people bought them cheap and don't want to give up what they consider a good deal for what they expect will be an uninspiring resale price.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
To piggyback on Para's post, any gun can be collected, but it is very unlikely to become the "investment grade" kind of collectible.

The P250 was - arguably unfairly - unpopular when it came out, was sold at ever-decreasing MSRP and has been largely forgotten in favor of the P320. Buying one as a shooter, OK. Buying one as an investment - i.e., appreciating in value - wouldn't be a smart move, IMO.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will there be a day where somebody sees a P250 at a pawn shop and pays more than what it cost new? No. Although not terribly popular, there were a lot of them built. There are many far more compelling guns built and sold in much smaller numbers for those that want to "collect."

But I agree with the others that a "collection" need not be stocked with "collectibles."

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that 'rare' does not correlate with 'desirable'.

My guess that the P250 will be in the same league as the Gen2 Glock.

I don't think there are many firearms that will be worth more than what they are selling for right now.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 250 a while back and initially liked the trigger pull. After shooting a couple hundred rounds, I decided to sell it as it was not all that great. I couldn't get used to the trigger pull and there was no way of making it shorter. As far as being collectable, I would say no. It's a nice gun but I wouldn't want another.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember shooting my nephews when he first bought it years ago. I did not like that trigger! As a matter of fact he even traded it off on a Remington 1911 as soon as he could

Posts: 461 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get one thinking it was going to appreciate in value because of the relatively short period of time it was marketed, but these were a good design for those interested in getting something akin to a DAO revolver that were willing to spend some time developing the skill set needed to operate one efficiently. I'm an old school revolver shooter (DA in just about any situation, including 50 yard shooting in PPC competition), and really liked the trigger. IMHO, it was smoother than nearly any S&W revolver from the factory. My P250 was purchased as a 9mm Compact originally and I bought the necessary conversion components to use it as a .40 S&W Compact, .40 S&W Subcompact, and .45 ACP Compact when desired. All shot well and were quite dependable. Presently I'm awaiting a .357 Sig Compact barrel, so I'll have that option too.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, like it, it's a good reliable pistol. I really don't think it will ever be collectable.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it, but can't see it as particularly unique. Hard for me to think of it as collectable.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I view the P250 the same as I do the P290. I don't consider them collectible at all. I do like them well enough but no longer own one. I see them for sale on consignment from time to time, and they're usually priced pretty cheap.

十人十色

Posts: 2102 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Investment-No. Collectible-No. Worth buying if you find a good deal on one-Sure. I have never carried my P250, but it is a damn fine range gun. I have never had any reliability issues, and would not hesitate to carry it, just not in the line up right now.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you could find good examples in the calibers you like, I'd buy them. But I'd also upgrade to the newer grips and magazine baseplates. P250 is a very good gun and it's sad to see SIG dropped it. If they had made a modular DA/SA, it would likely be as popular as the P320.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
If you could find good examples in the calibers you like, I'd buy them. But I'd also upgrade to the newer grips and magazine baseplates. P250 is a very good gun and it's sad to see SIG dropped it. If they had made a modular DA/SA, it would likely be as popular as the P320.

The SIG Pro is pretty modular DA/SA. You can choose from 3 grip sizes and swap between .40, .357 SIG, and 9mm (which may require a different slide and recoil spring). But not as modular as the P250 or P320.

I have 4 P250s and can swap calibers between .357 SIG (which I carry), .40, .45, 9mm, and .22lr. I had a .380 kit and sold it, but want to get another just to have it on hand. I hate rails, so I buy compact models and use subcompact grip modules, with compact mags and X-grip adapters to bridge the gap between the mag baseplate and the grip module.

I'm a believer in having at least 2 guns in each of the major calibers: handguns in 9mm, .380, .357 SIG, .40, 22lr, .45, and .38/.357 magnum; rifles in .223/5.56, .308, and .22lr; and shotguns in 12 gauge. So while the P250 isn't collectible, it was a less expensive way for me to work toward that goal.

After I shot the SIG Pro lately, I'm planning on switching to it for carry. I really like the DA/SA, because I like having that stronger DA trigger pull to make the first shot require more deliberation, but with quicker follow-up shots if necessary.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm all for the SIG Pro, but even Bruce Gray couldn't talk SIG into producing the 2022 equivalent of a 320 Full Size. I would've been all over such a thing myself.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Aside from the P210 I don't think many people view Sig pistols as collectible.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post