SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well darn, broken striker.. No, not on a P365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well darn, broken striker.. No, not on a P365 Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted
On my S&W M&P 1.0 40, while dry firing.

Round count of somewhere north of 1k with many, many, dry fires.

Apparently, this is a "thing" that I was unaware of, and S&W had a bit of a kerfuffle regarding these back around 2012. Anyway, they (S&W) changed over from a black version to a silver version. Just purchased a replacement via flea-bay, guess we'll see how it works out.

I'm not sure how many other people have had this problem, but just thought I'd share the fact that not just SIG has issues with broken strikers. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the P365 gets a rap for breaking strikers, but according to SIG, this only occurred on slightly more than 1% of just the first 1400 P365s produced. ("Less than 2%" was their statement.)

So that'd be a few more than 14 total broken strikers, out of the million+ P365s produced so far, and limited to the first relative handful of P365s produced.

It's not nothing, but that's pretty miniscule.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Do you actually believe that figure Rogue?

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to take their statement at face value until conflicting data is presented. This is reportedly based on their in-house data.

Doesn't absolutely make it the gospel truth, but I have yet to see anything to the contrary.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I actually believe their problems at SIG were more widespread than they claimed when the P365 launched, but it was the hottest thing on the planet and they couldn't make them fast enough. Wink

It didn't keep me from buying a P365.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

Did you use a snap-cap when dry-firing?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
On striker fired guns, sometimes, but not always.
On my hammer fired SIG's, no, but I put an O-Ring over the back of the firing pin that keeps the hammer from hitting the back of the firing pin. I didn't used to do this, but started after a I broke several FPPP's and roll pins...

NRA Benefactor

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
On striker fired guns, sometimes, but not always.
On my hammer fired SIG's, no, but I put an O-Ring over the back of the firing pin that keeps the hammer from hitting the back of the firing pin. I didn't used to do this, but started after a I broke several FPPP's and roll pins...

Sounds it would be wise to invest in some quality snap-caps.

I only very rarely dry-fire a firearm, any firearm, w/o a snap-cap. I even bought snap-caps for our scatter-guns so I could drop the "hammers" on them for storage.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would have contacted S&W. They may have sent you one for free under warranty.

quote:

Apparently, this is a "thing" that I was unaware of, and S&W had a bit of a kerfuffle regarding these back around 2012. Anyway, they (S&W) changed over from a black version to a silver version. Just purchased a replacement via flea-bay, guess we'll see how it works out.

I'm not sure how many other people have had this problem, but just thought I'd share the fact that not just SIG has issues with broken strikers. Razz

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Depending on the date of manufacture, the pistol may have the early Gen firing pin installed. They changed firing pin designs in ‘08 (I think). The newer mod firing pins were beefier, and the broken firing pin problem went away.

I broke two in ‘06 and ‘07 and Smith fixed both without any heartburn. Broke both in dry fire.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Do you actually believe that figure Rogue?

What do you 'think' the number is?

I know that SIG sells a shitload of P365's, and I haven't heard of a broken Striker for quite some time! Cool

Often times 'the fuss' is just amplified because of, well, the internet, and people REALLY like to bitch, over and over and over! This phenomena skews the public perception of the prevalence of just about ANY problem, especially if then group is passionate about the subject.

Does ANYONE believe the entire country is up in arms over EVERYTHING that Trump says/does just because that's all you hear on Twitter? Just Sayin'... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8864 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds it would be wise to invest in some quality snap-caps.

I only very rarely dry-fire a firearm, any firearm, w/o a snap-cap. I even bought snap-caps for our scatter-guns so I could drop the "hammers" on them for storage.
I don't need to invest in any, as I noted, I have plenty, but just rarely use them. In fact I pretty much only use them to simulate malfunctions during live fire. I'm not planning on reducing the amount of dry firing I do, as I find it very helpful for muscle memory and technique.

I mean, S&W released a revised design, so it was apparently enough of a problem to cause them to act. Frankly, I hardly think a broken striker on a weapon that clearly had problems with broken strikers, is necessarily a reason to change my methodology. This is the only striker I have ever had fail in decades of dry fire.

Parts will break, it happens, I merely posted on the topic because I learned that S&W had changed the design due to breakages. A fact I was completely unaware of...

Just to add:
I didn't call S&W because I'm not the original purchaser of the weapon, they may well have sent me one free, I just didn't feel like calling them in this instance.

Additionally, the replacement I purchased off flea-bay is "supposedly" a S&W factory replacement part in their packaging, as I said, we'll see.

NRA Benefactor

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t matter. Contact Smith and they will still fix it for you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Interestingly, the P365 gets a rap for breaking strikers, but according to SIG, this only occurred on slightly more than 1% of just the first 1400 P365s produced. ("Less than 2%" was their statement.)

So that'd be a few more than 14 total broken strikers, out of the million+ P365s produced so far, and limited to the first relative handful of P365s produced.

It's not nothing, but that's pretty miniscule.

https://youtu.be/Q_VK6vYkWO0?t=1011

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post