SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Sport info please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Sport info please? Login/Join 
posted
Looking at an auction ad that includes what I think is a P220 Sport based on the mag floor plate and the one crap picture I've seen. Stainless, muzzle weight comp thing, box of same style as my West German guns only black. Looks to have manual, but no test target.
Anything special I should check or know about before looking at it. Also, I'm assuming this should be any easy $1k gun, no? Its a public auction with internet bidding(at a premium) and a buyers premium of 10% so I'm gonna have to get it cheap for it to be feasible for me...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
There is not enough information for me, I'd pass.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Yes, easily 1k gun if a real Sport. Just from judging by my 226 Sport, you should probably see matching SN's on at least the frame and slide. The muzzle has a comp, the 226 is a weight. It should also have extended controls, ie. slide release, mag release, decocker. They are fine guns, so if you can get it for a around 1k or a little higher, you will be in great shape. I recently saw one on GB for upwards of 3k if I remember correctly, but certainly not worth that IMHO. Good luck, post pix if you score it.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
At $1,000 I would grab one so fast . . . .

Remember the Sport-family is the predecessor to the X-family of pistols

A Sport or Sport Stock is easy to spot as they have the LPA adjustable rear sight on the firearm as opposed to fixed sights

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don't remember my 220 sport having any type of special mag floor plate. Sure it's not a 229 Sport? Those had extended silver base pads.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
There is not enough information for me, I'd pass.

I'm with Gary on this. Auction with one crappy pic and no description? OP is not even sure what it is. He "think" it's a P220 Sport.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
This what a P220 Sport all decked out for Steel should look like:

That's my flight jacket, too!

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I had a limited edition P220 Sport one of 500 but I was new to firearms and didn't know it was a collectors item and sold it. The only gun sale I regret. I got it new.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know its a sport model. I am guessing 220 because of the black floor plate on the mag pictured. I haven't seen a description for the auction yet, so my details are limited. I will see it in person, before I spend any money on anything. Pic isn't clear enough to see triple serial #s, or condition.

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I know its a sport model. I am guessing 220 because of the black floor plate on the mag pictured. I haven't seen a description for the auction yet, so my details are limited. I will see it in person, before I spend any money on anything. Pic isn't clear enough to see triple serial #s, or condition.

Post the pic.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I would also be reluctant to bid on a gun without several clear pictures and more specific information.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Looking at an auction ad that includes what I think is a P220 Sport based on the mag floor plate and the one crap picture I've seen. Stainless, muzzle weight comp thing, box of same style as my West German guns only black. Looks to have manual, but no test target.
Anything special I should check or know about before looking at it. Also, I'm assuming this should be any easy $1k gun, no? Its a public auction with internet bidding(at a premium) and a buyers premium of 10% so I'm gonna have to get it cheap for it to be feasible for me...

Brand new, in the day, they were $1350. Now they are going for 2000+ used. Depending on the auction site, I'd watch out for a scam. People steal pictures off the internet and post them on an auction. I've run across that at least twice.

A pacity of pictures, not much description, is a caveat.

Given what they sold for new some time ago, if it's new or as new, $1500, IMO, would not be out of the ballpark based on value.

Personally, even new in box would not be worth more than $1500 to me. Interestingly, the P226 Sport is more rare, but they generally didn't sell for as much as the P220 Sport once production ended on the Sport models. The P229 Sport was much more common, ie, the one with the compensator.

There was a later P220 Sport without the compensator and a standard rail that came out later.

Based on collector status, the sky seems to be the limit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auction was tonight. Was a nice gun. Smiley on the barrel, 2 mags, paperwork.
Sold online for $2000 + 25% in auction fees. Too steep for me.
Really liked the feel and the extended controls. Will have to keep looking for a new SS P220.