SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    pistol p320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pistol p320 Login/Join 
posted
What is the "O" Ring of the "Take Down Lever" of this gun for ?

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luis@figueredo.com:

That's a good question.
For whatever reason, the left side hole in the frame is oversized.
Probably makes it easier to fish the pin through with the additional room.
Then the O-Ring fills the annular space once the pin is seated/locked without any wear on that frame hole.
The O-Ring probably also keeps the pin from walking out under recoil.

That's my Internet Guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

Then the O-Ring fills the annular space once the pin is seated/locked without any wear on that frame hole.
The O-Ring probably also keeps the pin from walking out under recoil.

Correct.

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think the "O Ring" is what is making the rotation of the Take Down Lever so hard.

posted Hide Post
The P250 has the same "O Ring" and the same Take Down Lever and i can rotate it with two fingers and i cannot do it in the P320

posted Hide Post
quote:
i think the "O Ring" is what is making the rotation of the Take Down Lever so hard.

Impingement of the takedown safety lever, acting against the cam on the take down lever, is what makes rotation difficult.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you that it's the take down levers cam that makes it a bear to turn. As I see it the worthless rubber washer that causes the pain in turning the lever.I have removed the washer on my lever at least 2 years ago and now the operation is simple. The lever goes in with a snap and removal is just a solid push with the thumb.I've noticed no walking of the lever while shooting and the lever is not loose at any time in any of my frames. So, yes it is the rubber washer that makes it a bear to turn and no, I see no problems with it out. So what is the purpose of the washer??

Posts: 144 | Registered: September 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. You're smarter than the Sig engineers who designed the pistol. Perhaps they'll learn.

Of course, it is a metal part in mix-and-match interchangeable, modular system, designed to be held in place in a polymer frame, so maybe the o-ring has a purpose after all.

It should be greased.

When rotated, the act of moving the takedown lever also mechanically cams the takedown safety lever into position, and that lever is under spring tension. That is the source of the resistance when rotating the the takedown lever. By moving the takedown lever, you're doing more than simply rotating the lever. you're also altering the condition of the FCU by moving the takedown safety lever, and that's your resistance.

The takedown safety lever must also be reset upon assembly, or the pistol will not fire.

That beveled angle on the inserted end of the takedown lever...if you wondered what it's for, it's to fit past the takedown safety.

A little grease goes a long way. It's better than removing parts that the engineer put in the design.

Even better to spend some time getting to understand the design and why it works. Have you put any lubrication in the FCU and on the takedown safety lever?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to have step on the toes of an internet genius . Have no fear as you will never have me give an opinion on any thing that you know the infinitive answer to. I just know what works for me and I will leave it at that. Cheers . Now I'll go back into the shadows and just watch the comedy.

Posts: 144 | Registered: September 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sns3guppy is providing accurate information. I just completed the P320 armorer's course 2 weeks ago, and everything he just told you is consistent with what was taught in the class. I guess you can ignore him if you want...that's absolutely your right...but you're disregarding sound advice.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be oiled so the lever removes more easily!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post