SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ETA - Gimme some real world experience and reviews of ACT P220 mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ETA - Gimme some real world experience and reviews of ACT P220 mags Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Well I’ve just about struck out With finding Bomar cut fixed sights for the 220 so while I shift gears let me know you real world experience with the ACT mags. I’m weird about magazines, I have at least 25+ for every firearm I own. And I still feel like I need more. So I’d prefer to pick up some ACT mags at 18$ than Sig mags at $40+.

*** Old post below ***

I’ve read that standard .45 P220 mags like 1911 tend to work just the same with 10mm.

Can some owners confirm before I spend lots of money on my mag addiction.

With regards to the sights, I know at least one company makes Bomar style fixed sights to eliminate the adjustable ones. Does anyone know if that option is out there for the P220?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Bumping for the day crowd.

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but I would doubt they would work reliably. Perhaps for the range, but not for anything that really mattered.

I'm not generally inclined to use magazines that were not made for the gun and caliber I'm shooting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have a 10, but I can tell you that regular 7 rd 45 mags feed well in a 220-9mm. Kind of a ragged looking stack, but that works in all of my 220-9s. Would I carry them? probably not, mostly because a 220-45 fits the same holster. For range use? Sure, why not?

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both.

I tested an old 7 round 45A magazine in my 10mm and it fit and fed a 10mm snap cap.

I tested an new 10 round 45A magazine in my 10mm and it fit and fed a 10mm snap cap.

The feed lips on the 45A magazine will hold a 10mm bullet in place.

The next time I shoot my 10mm I'll try to remember to bring a couple of 45A magazines with me to test live fire.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it with either one. The OCD would kick in.

I did try it with other mags. Seems like the magazines were the same for 45 and 10mm, but they didn't like 38 Super.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Changed up the topic rather than crowding the board with another thread.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered three from Greg Cote about seven or eight years ago. Never had an issue with them, and I used them for range and carry.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Changed up the topic rather than crowding the board with another thread.

James, the ACT P220 mags work reliably just like the factory mags (made by Mec-Gar). That's my "real world" experience.

Now, the following problem I have not experienced, but there's a member (I forgot his username) who has had experienced the lips at top cracking or separating, and he did post pics on here. Maybe he'll see this thread and post again.

ETA: Found it! https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6990053254/p/2

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ACT mags have worked fine!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I know your OP was about inter-changability. The quality of the ACT mags I'm not sure about. I have used Novak .45ACP mags and personally like them. I used them in my GSR, but I know some people had issues with them, with the feed lips cracking.

Novak mags were, I believe, made by ACT-MAG. ACT-MAG says they design and manufacture according to the spec of the OEM for which they are providing magazines.

I liked them in my 1911 as Novak, but personally, in my P220 I would use factory. I just have this sense, not science, that the ACT version of the mags is not as high quality as the Novak precursor. You should take that with a grain of salt, but I've only purchased factory (essentially Mec-Gar) for my P220s of all varieties, including 10mm.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problems encountered with my P220 ACT-Mags. Have both the stainless and blued varieties. They are a fantastic deal - stock up while they're available.

Not sure about feeding 10mm from them, however, as I've never tried.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used a number of ACT/Novak magazines in my P220 over 15+ years, with no issues. I would have no qualms with using them instead of factory magazines.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused, is the question will the act mags run 10mm? If so, I don't know. If the question is/are there potential issues with the act mags versus OEM. Then my experience is yes. I bought some and had feed lip cracking issues. I'm an not sure if that was a specific batch or production time or what. Since then Greg Cote (who is a guy that should know) says current production is quite good according to a post about this not too long ago. at a 2-3 to 1 price ratio even if a few are problematic you can use them for range mags. Me personally I wouldn't run them as self defense mags based on my experience. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the early ACT mags had some problems with the lips cracking. Not all of them, just some.
'Early' is at least 10-15 years ago; any new mags are fine.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Current magazines are good. Original mags had some issues with cracking

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have some 8-round ACT mags that I bought to carry as reloads for my P245. I have not had any problems with them to date...they lock in and function just fine, and feel very well made...definitely on par with the Sig factory P245 magazines I have. I can't speak to shooting 10mm out of them, as I've only used them for .45ACP.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
ACT-MAG are good magazines that you can rely on. We had a few customers with cracked lip issues early on, but in the past 10 years, I haven't seen that happening.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ Every ACT P220 and 1911 mag I owned (7-8?) cracked.

Yes, it was over ten years ago now. But with that track record why would I buy them again, to find out if they still crack? lol

(FWIW... at the time, everyone was telling me they cracked "in the past, but not now.")

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a couple or three never any issues. That said they haven’t been used heavily.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post