SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reliable "Combat" or "SD" Style 22 cal. LR Pistol?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reliable "Combat" or "SD" Style 22 cal. LR Pistol? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
S&W M&P 22 Compact - may be too small for my large hands

I really like the M&P 22 Compact, but it is a little small for my big hands.

The main symptom is just that the slide doesn't lock back after the last round, due to my hands impeding the slide stop.

If you're okay with that, it may still be worth looking at. It's a great little gun.

(The full size M&P 22, on the other hand, is a different design made by a different company and is reportedly not as good.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
(The full size M&P 22, on the other hand, is a different design made by a different company and is reportedly not as good.)

Yeah, it's made for S&W by Walther.

I have a PPS M2 9mm. I love that little pistol, and mine has been flawless, but the PPS M2, along with every other current-production Walther, has suffered from variable quality and reliability issues. That's why my first .45 ACP was a Sig P320, rather than a Walther.

If you get a good Walther you're probably GTG. If you get a bad one, well... good luck. (Their CS, in handling such things, isn't highly-rated, either.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my S&W M&P 22c. It's about 90% smaller than a standard M&P, you can definetly feel in. BUT, mine runs like a top and is super excellent.

Two options that I haven't seen mentioned are the CZ Kadet (though if you don't want the Beretta 87 due to expense this is probably out), but there is also the Sig Mosquito. I have not personal knowledge of this pistol other than it exists, but that might float your boat.

There are also a number of .22 1911 platforms as well. Browning makes one. I think ATI, the guys who make .22 clones of MSRs and SMGs do too I think.

Plus there are the various .22 conversions for Glock, Sig, 1911, and CZ that exist if that is something you would consider (though it seems you are looking for a dedicated pistol).

And if you are just looking for a handgun that will give you trigger practice, a .22 revolver might be something you should consider. Great for trigger control exercises (using a double action revolver) and cheap "square" range practice as well and super reliable if you choose well (Ruger or S&W imo), but obviously not going to be a duplicate of any pistol you're using.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t add Beretta 87 to that list you are nuts. I have shot 10’s of thousands of rounds through mine. It shoots bulk pack to mini mags equally well. It is all metal and feels like it. If I carried a 22 for SD which I don’t know why I would, this would be it. Shoot, you can even go cocked and locked with this baby 92ish gun.

It’s easily my favorite of all my 22’s. It goes to nearly every range day.

Not even a contest if you go head to head with your list.

If you want a 22 that feels, breaks down, handles, like a real gun this is it. It’s a frame mounted safety baby version of a Beretta 92. Can’t lose. Bite the bullet on the cost and jump in.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two Ruger MKIII 22/45s...they both are workhorses. Never had a round jam, even with shitty mixed ammo my buddy gave me from his gunstore(no telling where it came from).

I’ve had a Walther P22, and the slide cracked after several thousand rounds...they fixed it, but I s old it off.

My buddy uses Ruger SR22s for his CCW classes and they are rock solid.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

And if you are just looking for a handgun that will give you trigger practice, a .22 revolver might be something you should consider. Great for trigger control exercises (using a double action revolver) and cheap "square" range practice as well and super reliable if you choose well (Ruger or S&W imo), but obviously not going to be a duplicate of any pistol you're using.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
If you don’t add Beretta 87 to that list you are nuts.

Two excellent ideas as well. My .22lr SP101 lives in my range bag and gets a lot of use. I had a 617 that I traded for the SP101 that I also loved. There was nothing wrong with the S&W, I’m just more of a Ruger fanboy than a Smith fan so when I got the opportunity to trade a new Smith for an old model .22lr Ruger I jumped on it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up on "combat" .22's because of various issues. Walter P22 (OK but cheap), Mosquito (utter crap), Beretta 87 (mile of overtravel, WTF?).

I have a Ruger Mark II Competition Slab Barrel, S&W Model 41, and two Sig/Hammerli Trailsides.

The Trailsides are so accurate and fun to shoot it's a shame they are so hard to get now and there are some small parts that fail now and then. A real Hammerli would be awesome.

That said, I would consider the G44 after a little while once they bugs are worked out. The $200 threaded barrel for a $350 gun is way up there in Sig accessory territory...

And you know, the CZ 75 Cadet is probably the best one out there. I've never fired one, but CZ's are always good.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two options that I haven't seen mentioned are the CZ Kadet (though if you don't want the Beretta 87 due to expense this is probably out), but there is also the Sig Mosquito.

The CZ Kadet appears to be discontinued. No matter. I've a friend that had one. He liked it well enough, but said it was a Royal PITA to clean, IIRC.

The Sig Mosquito was a train wreck. Are they even still making those?

quote:
There are also a number of .22 1911 platforms as well. Browning makes one. I think ATI, the guys who make .22 clones of MSRs and SMGs do too I think.

I'm going to guess those are as expensive as the Beretta, if not more so.

quote:
Plus there are the various .22 conversions for Glock, Sig, 1911, and CZ that exist ...

Not particularly interested in conversion kits.

quote:
And if you are just looking for a handgun that will give you trigger practice, a .22 revolver might be something you should consider.

Not interested. I want a .22 cal. auto-loader.

Thanks for the suggestions, nonetheless.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
If you don’t add Beretta 87 to that list you are nuts. I have shot 10’s of thousands of rounds through mine. It shoots bulk pack to mini mags equally well. It is all metal and feels like it. If I carried a 22 for SD which I don’t know why I would, this would be it. Shoot, you can even go cocked and locked with this baby 92ish gun.

It’s easily my favorite of all my 22’s. It goes to nearly every range day.

Not even a contest if you go head to head with your list.

If you want a 22 that feels, breaks down, handles, like a real gun this is it. It’s a frame mounted safety baby version of a Beretta 92. Can’t lose. Bite the bullet on the cost and jump in.

70s pfumpf pfumpf Cool

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you have seen this thread about the PPQ 22. I love my 9MM PPQ but steered clear of the PPQ 22.

https://www.waltherforums.com/...e-broken-off.114600/

The Beretta M9 22 and M9A1 22 may also be worth a look at. I have not tried one myself but seems like a lot of good reports.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/...facturer=Beretta&p=1

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Beretta 87 Cheetah

The Beretta 87 Cheeta is certainly a good choice. Too expensive, you say, but for SD…

Another possibility: the Browning 1911-22:

www.browning.com/products/fire...pistols/1911-22.html

I have no experience with it, but it intrigues me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Yes, but without the Sig branding. It’s now the GSG Firefly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Don't know if you have seen this thread about the PPQ 22. I love my 9MM PPQ but steered clear of the PPQ 22.

Yeah, I've seen it. Thus my "some concern about reported reliability issues" notation.

This is the problem with current-production Walther product. They're all great guns, but... the issues with the PPQ 22, the barrel issues with the PPQ 45 (I was this >< close to buying one of those when that one cropped up), the barrel peening issues with the PPS M2. And, like Taurus with the TX-22, they're slow to actually fix the problems. At least Taurus acknowledged theirs, though.

I love my PPS M2, but I'm disinclined to purchase another Walther product.

quote:
The Beretta M9 22 and M9A1 22 may also be worth a look at. I have not tried one myself but seems like a lot of good reports.

I'll look into it. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The Beretta 87 Cheeta is certainly a good choice. Too expensive, you say, but for SD…

This won't be for SD.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Another possibility: the Browning 1911-22:

www.browning.com/products/fire...pistols/1911-22.html

I'll look into it. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

Whomever the hell GSG is.

posted Hide Post
Beretta also has their little Bobcat pocket pistol in .22LR, the Model 21A. When I carry it, I use a DeSantis Nemesis. Only ever fed it CCI Stingers, though, so I can't speak to its ability to be reliable with anything else.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 90 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

Whomever the hell GSG is.

German Sport Guns. They made the Sig Mosquito for Sig.

They actually make a lot of really cool .22lr guns including a STG-44 copy that I’d love. But I had a Mosquito and so I have no faith in the quality of anything they produce.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No handgun GSG produced ever seems to have inspired all that much confidence.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
No handgun GSG produced ever seems to have inspired all that much confidence.

Sounds like a company roughly similar to Umarex, the people that bought Walther. Just goes to show that "German" doesn't necessarily mean "quality."

posted Hide Post
My wife has had an SR-22 for about 8 years now, and has put countless rounds of varying brands of .22LR ammo through it.

I has never failed to go bang and cycle properly.

Best of all, the gun is easy to clean, for a .22LR.

Rimfire cartridges are notoriously dirty, and being able to clean the carbon and grit from inside the action is an important thing to me, since gritty actions will cause malfunctions sooner or later.

The SR-22 is easy to disassemble, and all the areas that get fouled are easy to clean.

Add that to the reliability, and it's a great "self-defense" rimfire pistol.

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are familiar with 1911’s you should consider either one of the 1911 clone-ish guns from gsg and others, or even better a quality conversion kit like a marvel
I have not been at all impressed with these what I call “ combat trainers regarding accuracy reliability or durability

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://grabagun.com/firearms/...facturer=Beretta&p=1

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SesgxB4f88I" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The Walter PPQ 22 is a great gun. I have 2 of them, 12,000 rounds through the 4 inch version and 2000 rounds through the 5 inch version. The failure rate is about 1 to 2%. Some people dry fire 22 caliber pistols and that will cause parts to break in any 22 caliber firearm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post