SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reliable "Combat" or "SD" Style 22 cal. LR Pistol?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reliable "Combat" or "SD" Style 22 cal. LR Pistol? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I may have asked this question here before, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread if I did.

I recently realized I've quite a quantity of .22 cal. LR ammo.

I've a couple rifles and a couple handguns that'll shoot the stuff, but what I'd really like is something that more-or-less looks, feels, and operates more like my center-fire auto-loaders. Something that would be to center-fire pistols what my S&W M&P 15-22 is to my AR-15.

Problem is: To this day nobody seems to make a .22 cal. LR auto-loader that's as reliable and as un-fussy about ammo as is my venerable old Ruger Mk. I.

Suggestions?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I may have asked this question here before, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread if I did.

I've a couple rifles and a couple handguns that'll shoot the stuff, but what I'd really like is something that more-or-less looks, feels, and operates more like my center-fire auto-loaders. Something that would be to center-fire pistols what my S&W M&P 15-22 is to my AR-15.

Problem is: To this day nobody seems to make a .22 cal. LR auto-loader that's as reliable and as un-fussy about ammo as is my venerable old Ruger Mk. I.

Suggestions?

The Walter PPQ 22 in 4" and 5" are great. I have both. The 4 inch balances better but the 5 inch has better sites and gives me a little father reach. I have had very few malfunctions with both of these guns and I have shot 12,000 rounds out of the 4 inch and 2000 rounds out of the 5 inch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR-22. S&W M&P .22 Compact.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Ruger 22/45 mk iv tactical.

Posts: 367 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I had an early P22 that just went back to Walther. Still waiting to hear back. I acquired a Ruger SR22 that I am absolutely in love with. I just mounted a red dot on it and love it even more!

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
M&P Compact 22 but it is a bit on the small size depending on one's hands/fingers. Also take a look at the Glock 44. I have read tons of threads and almost everyone that actually owns a Glock 44 and has put rounds through one loves it and it works well with a wide variety of ammo. I plan to get one soon.

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...ock-44-range-reports --- a good read about the Glock 44

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Glock 44

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell you how impressed I’ve been with the S&W M&Pc .22lr. I’ve had it a few years and it’s been a really great pistol. It eats every type of ammo I’ve fed it including cheap thunderbolt stuff. I’m going to get a Glock 44 when I find one but really this Smith has been absolutely amazing.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-ups, everybody.

So far I have, as candidates:

• Walther PPQ 22
  • Ruger SR-22
  • S&W M&P .22 Compact
  • Ruger 22/45
  • Glock G44
  • Taurus TX22 - barrel problems persist

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
G44, and you can get spare 18 round mags on Sheedy Ern Ern, just ordered two pro mags to see how they do, $19 on sale each so it's not a big investment.

Also ordered the threaded barrel from GLock, tsc tsc shame on Glock for not having a G44 with the barrel from the factory, still it's fun with the Spikes Lil Buckwheat suppressor...

Only issues I've had is a few rounds not chambering, and it's typically because I didn't get the last round in the mag properly.

My next 22lr will be the Kel-Tec CP33, or P17 if I can locate one.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also the LCP in .22 LR if you want to mimic a pocket pistol. For normal size the M+P would be my choice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the follow-ups, everybody.

So far I have, as candidates:

• Walther PPQ 22
  • Ruger SR-22
  • S&W M&P .22 Compact
  • Ruger 22/45
  • Glock G44

what barrel problems?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
what barrel problems?

Type "Taurus TX22 barrel problem" (w/o the quotes) into your favorite search engine.

Very poor production quality and QC, resulting in "chatter" marks, which leads to excessive leading, and chambers not concentric with the barrels, leading to poor accuracy. This has been an issue with these from Day 1. I would've expected they'd have corrected it by now, but nope.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I have an early model Walther P-22 that has been flawless through countless rounds - both 5” and 3” barrels, but I won’t recommend that due to stories of later models and troubles (supposedly). With that stated, I also have an SR-22 that has equally been reliable. For current production guns I think that recommendation is solid.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up the Glock 44 in .22 LR. It's identical in size (but not weight) to my G19. My only changes to the gun was the installation of sights identical to the sights on my G19.

On my initial magazine, I had 1 FTE, but no issues since.

Today, I put 180 rounds through the gun flawlessly.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what I can say for sure is G44 is out (its fussy), SR 22 is out (even more fussy). No opinion on the walther or the ruger. But a modern ruger 22/45 or the S&W victory will shoot anything and everything all day long for as long as you want to pull the trigger. OK combat style probably doesn't apply but who cares? I can't exactly say how many rounds I've shot since in .22lr I don't count but its in the tens of thousands. I have conversion kits for many of my carry guns, and those are great for training and I accept the limited reliability. But go bang every time, get one of those two.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 87 Cheetah

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you shoot 1911s, the Ruger 22/45 has a similar grip angle and control locations. The thumb safety pivots at the front instead of the rear, but is still up for safe, down for fire. I have one, a Mark IV Lite, and it has been 100% reliable (referring to the gun, not the ammo). A steel receiver/heavy barrel model would come a lot closer to the weight of a 1911.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:

Suggestions?

The Walter PPQ 22 in 4" and 5" are great. I have both. The 4 inch balances better but the 5 inch has better sites and gives me a little father reach. I have had very few malfunctions with both of these guns and I have shot 12,000 rounds out of the 4 inch and 2000 rounds out of the 5 inch.

My PPQ has been bomb proof. Only time it starts to fail is when I don't clean it after about 1K rounds. Then the slide starts moving slow. But It eats everything I've ever fed it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional comments/suggestions.

Here's my current thinking:

• Walther PPQ 22 - some concern about reported reliability issues
  • Ruger SR-22 - not real fond of the appearance
  • S&W M&P 22 Compact - may be too small for my large hands
  • Beretta 87 Cheetah - way too expensive!
  • Ruger 22/45 - too expensive, IMO
  • Glock G44 - reportedly ammo-sensitive and I'm not fond of Glocks

Of the remaining four three, the Walther and Beretta are is currently the front-runner, but I haven't discounted the Ruger SR-22 or S&W M&P 22 Compact.

It's really too bad Taurus can't seem to get their act together regarding the barrels Frown. That little 22 is said to digest just about anything, has a nice trigger, and is very affordable.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If you shoot 1911s, ...

I shoot most everything. I even still have a single Glock, a G34, in the stable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,