SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no P239 mags from Mec-Gar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no P239 mags from Mec-Gar? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Don’t think that’s going to work! The P225/P6 mags you’re talking about are NOT the same as the newer P225A1 mag that also fits the P239... those are two completely different P225’s! The only similarity is the name, and being a single-stack 9mm. I don’t know of any parts that are interchangeable except the sights!

Yep. I tried my 225/p6 mags and they don't seat.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Okay, if ALL P239 mags made were done by Mec-Gar, WHEN did they make them with dovetailed backs and with the Sig "triskelon" on them? I thought those were features found ONLY with German-made magazines!

Anyone know the answer to that one???

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Okay, if ALL P239 mags made were done by Mec-Gar, WHEN did they make them with dovetailed backs and with the Sig "triskelon" on them? I thought those were features found ONLY with German-made magazines!

Anyone know the answer to that one???

I'm not saying that MecGar was the only manufacturer of P239 magazines, but I think they are the only non-SIG OEM manufacturer - as I have seen both variations with P239.

I venture to hazard a guess that SIG Germany made magazines for the initial P239s in house, much like other SIG magazines of the era. SIG began moving to OEM provider (MecGar) but likely kept some in house or saved for replacements. I've seen P239 mags like the ones you describe and I'd say they were made by SIG (PW Arms / Dan's Ammo imports about 8-10 years ago, the 9MM P239s were also made in Germany <--- old thread I found on the subject). All the unibody constructed were done by MecGar.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting it!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bronicabill - Glad you posted this - Thanks! As a result, a kind SigForum member is going to alleviate my P239 mag shortage as soon as I return home in July. I have given up on finding a clean shooter P232 so my two spare mags will become 239 mags ... Smile

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
bronicabill - Glad you posted this - Thanks! As a result, a kind SigForum member is going to alleviate my P239 mag shortage as soon as I return home in July. I have given up on finding a clean shooter P232 so my two spare mags will become 239 mags ... Smile

Glad to hear it, and glad I could be of assistance! Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

posted Hide Post
This is almost a moot point, because I haven’t found P239 mags available (from stores/online) in any caliber, but a well-known poster over on S&W Forum made the following comment:

“Additionally, 9MM ammunition feeds perfectly in the 357SIG magazines due to the narrow nose on that mag. You do not even need to change the recoil spring.”

He owns at least four P239’s so I have to assume he knows about which he speaks.

Edited to add: I don’t have a .357 or .40 P239 so I didn’t (until now Wink ) know that the mags couldn’t be interchanged between the frames. I had a .40 239 for a year or so, in Germany, back in the early 2000’s but quickly sold it given how hard it was to find .40 ammo. Sold it to Chris Schwimm who used to hang out a lot here on SF ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
This is almost a moot point, because I haven’t found P239 mags available (from stores/online) in any caliber, but a well-known poster over on S&W Forum made the following comment:

“Additionally, 9MM ammunition feeds perfectly in the 357SIG magazines due to the narrow nose on that mag. You do not even need to change the recoil spring.”

He owns at least four P239’s so I have to assume he knows about which he speaks.

You're not implying that he's using .357sig mags in a 9mm framed gun are you? I don't think that will work.
What he's probably talking about is .40/.357 framed guns w/ a 9mm barrel, and those mags feed 9mm ammo.

I have a 9mm bar-sto barrel I need to get fitted and plan on using 9mm in my .40 mags.
Range use only.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Unless I am missing something, what protection or value does a non-complete agreement with Mec-Gar provide Sig Sauer, now that THEY have made the decision to no longer produce or support the P239?

I mean, if you don't have a dog in the fight, why not let a long-term vendor partner (Mec-Gar) continue to support your customers needs for a critical part???

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Exactly.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22940:
I would bet they have a non-compete agreement for OEM mags. It's the same with some CZ mags also made by Mecgar.

If SIG no longer sells P239s, nor mags for it, why wouldn’t they release Meg-Gar from the non-compete agreement? Would be mean not to do so.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Probably depends on if MecGar sees a business case to continue making them, then asks / pays SIG for release from the agreement.

Or maybe it’s just more of a hassle for MecGar to do that and instead devote production time / resources to more financially viable products?

It’s business, not personal. While in a different industry, we’ve done that kind of thing before - ie, sure we could make some money doing a task, but it was no longer worth the hassle dealing with a customer / business area or we could make more money devoting those times / resources somewhere else - so we just dropped it and moved on.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post