SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no P239 mags from Mec-Gar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no P239 mags from Mec-Gar? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Question for those more knowledgeable than I on such subjects...

Since Mec-Gar made the P239 magazines to begin with, why are they not providing P239 mags now under their own brand name to fill the void since SIG-Sauer seems no longer interested in supporting their customers' needs? It seems like such a simple thing to do, so I really don't understand why it isn't happening, therefore there must be more to the story than I am "seeing"... so what is it?

My frustration with SIG continues to build over their lack of support for owners of pistols once production has ceased, and the P239 is no different. It is my all-time favorite concealed carry, and I really, REALLY do not wish to replace it any time soon... or at all for that matter! I want my current P239 to stay with me the rest of my life, and to pick up another for my daughter to carry once she graduates from college. Since I can find no adequate substitute in other makes, I'm pretty much stuck with the P239, or "settling" for something that I don't like quite as well... all because SIG won't support their customers like they should! Frown

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bet they have a non-compete agreement for OEM mags. It's the same with some CZ mags also made by Mecgar.

A shot not taken is a shot missed

Posts: 408 | Registered: April 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think it had more to do with demand than anything else.

The 239 was never a high demand item.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22940:
I would bet they have a non-compete agreement for OEM mags. It's the same with some CZ mags also made by Mecgar.

Agreed.

They already make the OEM P239 magazines and unlike the P226 / P228 / P229 magazines, where they innovated and created the higher capacity versions to sell, there isn't much that can be done with the P239 mags - so they likely have no business case to 'redesign' a magazine that there is likely only fleeting demand for.

Probably one more design they are glad to not make and allow them more tooling time on better selling ones.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I think it had more to do with demand than anything else.

The 239 was never a high demand item.

This. Directly from the (Italian) horse's mouth at the NRA convention this year. He claimed cost on the order of $100k to ramp up production for a very low demand item was a no go.

I, like the original poster here, being very pissed at SIG for their total lack of loyalty to customers, promptly divested myself of all P239 guns and mags.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22940:

That is what a Mec-Gar rep told me at an NRA convention a few years ago.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Well I just snagged two more brand new ones for $45 each plus shipping, but I won’t be buying anymore P239’s as originally planned! I’ll grab some replacement springs as I can for good measure, but I’m about done buying anything Sig... if they cannot support it any better than this, then I don’t want it! I’m old enough I’ll make do with what I have and not fool with them anymore. All future purchases will be of a different make...

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand people ditching a firearm then like just because it goes out of production. I mean maybe if it becomes extremely valuable but beyond that how likely are most users to wear out their gun or mags. Yes there are folks who run a TON of rounds and are susceptible to various maintenance concerns but I would posit the average shooter will never wear out a P239 or it’s mags.

I would also posit most folks on here have a fallback gun or 10 if necessary. Smile

I will not be dumping my P239. I do however have a bunch of mags. Do I hear $200.....$250. Free shipping if you buy two. Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too may be falling from the true faith. All my older Sigs run great. My experience with the 320 and now reported problems with the 365 have given me pause. The new P225A1 was not what I expected but it has gotten good reviews. If Sig wants to discontinue the 239 at least keep us in mags and parts for a while.
I am going to take a hard look at CZ and HK

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owning only a P239/9 - Didn’t I see here on SF a few weeks ago that P225 mags could be adapted to the P239? I sure hope so!

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
Owning only a P239/9 - Didn’t I see here on SF a few weeks ago that P225 mags could be adapted to the P239? I sure hope so!

They can. Also, there are still some new ones in the LE pipeline as of now, if you have access to it.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Well I just snagged two more brand new ones for $45 each plus shipping, but I won’t be buying anymore P239’s as originally planned! I’ll grab some replacement springs as I can for good measure, but I’m about done buying anything Sig... if they cannot support it any better than this, then I don’t want it! I’m old enough I’ll make do with what I have and not fool with them anymore. All future purchases will be of a different make...

As it turns out I ended up getting three new mags for $90.00 shipped, so I got all the magazines I originally wanted. Now to pick up some replacement springs as I can find them.

Maybe someday, somehow, things might turn around on the magazine supply issue, and on replacement springs, but I won't hold my breath since so few people appreciate this model Sig any more.

posted Hide Post
I was down in Tampa Florida at Shooters World today Friday at 230 PM in the SIG area on the mag rack their were three Sig P239 9mm mags at $49.00 each. I bought one mag. I don't know if they do sell over the phone. Here is their # (813) 381-1111

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
In another thread I posted the email I received after asking this question of Mec-Gar-

Those magazines are made exclusively for Sig. Our agreement will not permit us to sell them aftermarket. If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
In another thread I posted the email I received after asking this question of Mec-Gar-

Those magazines are made exclusively for Sig. Our agreement will not permit us to sell them aftermarket. If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Yup - same reason you don’t see MecGar branded P220 or P220C/P245 magazines.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scarcity of mags is the reason I passed on a really good deal on a 239 9mm locally. If I knew Mec-Gar would be able to produce mags in a year I would've pick it up.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having bought my first P239 a few weeks ago, all this talk of magazine shortages/non-availability/price-gouging had me somewhat concerned.

It's been a rainy day in northern Minnesota, so I took a ride and stopped at one of the area guns and sporting goods shop. In the "misc" bin were two new, in-the-wrapper, P239 9mm mags for $39.95 each. I bought both, so the clerk knocked off five bucks on each.

I'm thinking of getting another P239.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a CPO 239 in .40 for a great price. Strange as it sounds, it will be a garage gun. .40 ballistics are pretty good. Spent a crazy amount on mags. Will try and find a .357 barrel. Maybe a recoil spring and trigger return spring.

I like the 225A enough to sell a 229. Will wait for awhile on a 365.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve found a couple of P6 mags locally & I am waiting on pictures. Gent says these will also fit P225 so I think they may fit my 239? Plan to send them to CCR for, maybe, nickel-plating if I am able to pick them up… I am sending a B92 barrel and slide down to them next month so I could just add these to the package.

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Don’t think that’s going to work! The P225/P6 mags you’re talking about are NOT the same as the newer P225A1 mag that also fits the P239... those are two completely different P225’s! The only similarity is the name, and being a single-stack 9mm. I don’t know of any parts that are interchangeable except the sights!