SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any easy pulling slides besides the S&W Shield EZ ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any easy pulling slides besides the S&W Shield EZ ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who is an NRA instructor guides his clients with poor hand-strength towards the larger framed Bersa 9’s which are supposedly easier to rack.

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's some more info, answers and thoughts.

This is for older people asking me about firearms. So overall strength is the issue.
I always show them the hand over slide holding/frame pushing technic.

As above (older folks), so small usually adds some difficulty to the mix.

Totally forgot about the Beretta pop-up barreled pistols, the 86 is nice (however, not easy to come by).
I always stayed away from the 32 Tomcat for the frame issue.
And as most of us here, would like to stay with center fire ammo for reliability.

I kind of ruled out the CCP for a couple reasons:
1. The funky takedown on the original, I guess the new ones would be ok...
2. They don't show up in the stores around here too often.

Kind of forgot about the 238/938... as it seems like the 365 took over the Sig ccw role. Wink

Revolvers seem to be hit or miss with the folks I encounter.
I'll have to take a second look at the Ruger LCR when they hit the shelves again. But I recall them having a hefty DA pull.

Nothing wrong with the S&W, last couple bought an EZ 9MM.
Just getting some ideas and suggestions for the next time I get asked... as it's becoming more frequent.

The 365 has a great trigger and capacity, but the slide pull mostly kills it for people with strength issues.
Anyone make aftermarket slide parts (T handles) for the 365 to help?

Thanks for the ideas... please continue. Smile

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll have to take a second look at the Ruger LCR when they hit the shelves again. But I recall them having a hefty DA pull.

Definitely give the LCR another look if you get the chance. I don't own one because I already have a J-frame that I like, and I can't get over the funky appearance or the idea of a plastic revolver....but I have to admit there's some magic going on with the LCR trigger. It's far from heavy...long, light, and smooth would be the 3 words I'd use to describe the ones I've handled.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
It’s very easy to rack the slide of my .380 SIG P238 if its hammer is cocked. That can be done while its safety is at the SAFE position.

What he said. They're easy to shoot too, at least for me. The older I get, the better I like mine.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Definitely give the LCR another look if you get the chance. I don't own one because I already have a J-frame that I like, and I can't get over the funky appearance or the idea of a plastic revolver....but I have to admit there's some magic going on with the LCR trigger. It's far from heavy...long, light, and smooth would be the 3 words I'd use to describe the ones I've handled.

In 2 words, Kahr like. Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2 words, Kahr like.

Possibly. I've never shot a Kahr. Closest thing I've got experience with that I could compare it to would be a P250. Just SMOOOOOOTH!

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I can't quote, but I'll echo
SigFreund above. I have a P250 in .380 that is a
pussycat to cycle.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just remembered the Browning .380 caliber 1911 pistols. Should be nice and easy... cool pistols.

https://www.browning.com/produ...911-380/current.html

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How's the actual felt recoil on a 9mm EZ? I've not shot one yet but I would have some concern about that for older folks or anyone with weak hands, considering how softly sprung the RSA is on that gun. I have shot the 380 EZ and that one is relatively soft on recoil, at least to me. Biggest downside is just how difficult .380 ammo has been to source over the last year. Makes the search for reasonably priced 9mm seem like child's play in comparison.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My father bought the 9mm EZ after struggling to rack the 9mm Shield. He does not do well with recoil, is a relatively new shooter and had no problem with recoil. I’ve never shot the 380 version so I can not comment on the difference.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired several hundred rounds thru the 380 EZ including g Gold Dots. Recoil is mild.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course it’s mild. It’s 380 and it isn’t blowback operated. It’s 380’s that are blowback operation that are snappy.

S&W made some good choices with the EZ.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always thought a well cleaned and lubed Beretta 92 or variant thereof is one of the easiest racking semi-auto around.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Technique can help a lot.
Don’t pull the slide.
Hold the gun up to your chest an push the grip, while holding the slide stationary.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCPII

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a huge gun but HK USP has a easy slide. It’s the first gun my wife could actually rack the slide on her own!

Posts: 116 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Ruger LC9 is extremely light to rack as well.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A serious thing to consider, for a support hand too weak, or otherwise unable, to reliably run a slide, is that the weapon hand may not provide sufficiently firm support for the frame, to ensure reliable auto-loader cycling. In my case, it is not only arthritis in my right thumb, hand, and wrist, but nerve issues with my right thumb, ring finger, and little finger, which do not always do what my brain is telling them to do.

I can numb-thumb/limp-wrist a malf, too often to continue to trust my aging right hand to use an autoloader defensively. Fortunately, I am functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, but using that gimpy right hand to run the slide compelled me to switch to what seems to be best known as the “Israeli” method.

I know that the original post did not ask about revolvers, but depending upon the individual shooter, a revolver may be a viable consideration. If I want to continue to consider my right hip to be my “primary” carry position, a revolver remains a best choice. I can still lock an SP101 firmly into my right hand’s grasp. The same is true of a K/L-Frame with compact grips, and a GP100 with the original-style factory grip.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hm...seems I forgot to add anything relevant to consider a few days ago...my bad.

The two I offer are definitely in the "big gun" class. In 9mm and with a somewhat generous budget, how about a X5 Legion? Ridiculously easy slide to rack. And regarding the HK USP mentioned above, the ever more spendier sibling USP Expert makes even easier work of the chore of racking the slide.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
For weaker hands, dont forget the Ruger LCR revolvers. They have some of the smoothest lightest triggers, much lighter than a typical 12 pound Smith & Wesson trigger.

I had a gunsmith install wilson combat springs in my 642 and brought it down to six. then the gunshop owner let me try the trigger on his lcr. and it was still better. But I like my smith!!

I used to install the apex kit in pretty much every j frame we sold. That mixed with minor work with a stone makes the j frame reliable, smooth, and light for DA. I have one in my own and can't recommend them enough.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post