SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any easy pulling slides besides the S&W Shield EZ ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any easy pulling slides besides the S&W Shield EZ ? Login/Join 
posted
As the title states, is there any contenders in the Shield EZ category?

Common, center fire, defensive pistol, something beside 22lr with an easy pulling slide?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The Walther CCP was designed for easy slide operation, and employs a gas-delayed blowback system to facilitate this. I researched the .380 version for a friend a few months back, but got scared off by a lot of negative reviews. I've not had the opportunity to handle or shoot one myself, though.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The Walther CCP was designed for easy slide operation, and employs a gas-delayed blowback system to facilitate this. I researched the .380 version for a friend a few months back, but got scared off by a lot of negative reviews. I've not had the opportunity to handle or shoot one myself, though.

There were definitely a lot of negative reviews with the 1st generation 9mms. Bizarre takedown, parts breakages, ...

The second generation 9mm less so. The .380, I do not recall seeing problems.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't say I did a formal study.

I was kind of keeping an eye on the gun's progression for awhile as the gun feels so good in the hand.

I will say Walther's or Umarex's concept with this gun was not the best. They correctly saw a market niche but making a hard-to-maintain,maintenance intensive, unforgiving gun and then marketing it to newbie shooters was not a good idea.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've got a 99 year old friend who just doesn't have the hand strength to rack a "traditional" slide anymore. He has tried the Shield EZ in both .380 and 9MM. And, I've been volunteering with a local chapter of "The Well Armed Women" and I know that several members have both the Walther CCP and the Shield EZ.

Everyone seems happy with their choices. (Although, my experience has been that IF someone isn't happy with a purchase they can't return, they just say how much they love it)!

Another choice for men and women with weaker hand strength is the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1st generation of Walter CCP was impossible to field strip. In concept - great design, like the HK P7. Fixed barrel, easy to rack, accurate, small grip for females.
Cons— mag release is easily depressed by the shooter, field strip requires depressing a latch to release the slide. Trying to put it back together is worse the reassembling a Ruger MK 2 or 3.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It’s very easy to rack the slide of my .380 SIG P238 if its hammer is cocked. That can be done while its safety is at the SAFE position.

Easy take-down and reassembly too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not common now, but the easiest slide to cycle of the guns I have is the P250's.

And this helps (when it's possible to use it, of course):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018761599

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walther Pk380. We used to sell a ton of these prior to the shield EZ’s coming out because they were the best option imo for easy to rack slides. Only downside is takedown sucks when you need to clean it

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is the ONLY problem working the slide or are there strength issues across the board that would preclude shooting a smaller gun.

The reason I ask is because something like a .380 Beretta Tomcat with a flip up barrel totally negates slide use in most circumstances.

Other than that, and I know I’m gonna be that asshole who goes off the reservation with an unwanted suggestion so I apologize and feel free to ignore me, but what about a medium frame revolver?

Also I am aware there is a special place in hell for folks like me who give an unwanted thread answer or suggestion. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason I ask is because something like a .380 Beretta Tomcat with a flip up barrel totally negates slide use in most circumstances.

but what about a medium frame revolver?

The Beretta Model 86 tip up .380 is vanishingly scarce. "Something like" pistols include only .22 and .32 Berettas and a few obscure antiques, like the Jo Lo Ar and le Francais.

The usual recommendation of a revolver presents the question: "I can't pull a slide against a 15 lb spring with both hands, so you want me to pull a 10 lb double action with one finger?"

I have seen more than one woman answer that by getting both forefingers on the trigger. And not just a revolver, it works on a DA/SA auto, too. Which leaves both fingers on a SA trigger for the next shot. I didn't SEE any mishaps from that but imagination runs wild.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The usual recommendation of a revolver presents the question: "I can't pull a slide against a 15 lb spring with both hands, so you want me to pull a 10 lb double action with one finger?"

No disagreement hence I am wondering about strength period. That said a DA revolver is easily cocked providing a light trigger pull.

I am not familiar with all eleventy billion 9mm 1911 variants but I wonder if any of them have an easy slide as the trigger takes care of itself here.

This does beg the question, why not the Smith and Wesson EZ? I have no experience with them but they seem well liked.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Walther CCP is a great gun. My mom bought it after much research.

they 2.0 is a simpler take down but the original isnt that hard

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...0EE23460E7&FORM=VIRE

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is ridiculously easy to get a revolver trigger pull down to a very low yet still reliable weight. The slide rack vs trigger pull weight discussion is the epitome of apples vs oranges. Hand strength issues are very unique to the individual. Gripping a slide by squeezing two fingers together is a whole different animal than merely pulling a trigger to the rear. One person might have difficulty with both, another with just the one.

Trying out a revolver with a smooth light trigger pull might be the answer. Realistically if the trigger pull is the issue, a tip up Beretta 86 ain’t the answer. I own a bunch of Cheetahs and none of them came stock with light triggers.

When I get too old to rack slides I have two fall back options. Revolvers as discussed and cocking the hammer and then racking the slide. Yes it adds a step. It’s an administrative action in nearly every case however so who cares if it takes an extra step?

I’ve owned a hundred handguns in my life. Of those that were semi autos I never owned one that cocking the hammer didn’t drop the slide resistance to nearly nothing. Best example is my Beretta 21a Bobcats. Tip up barrel. You can load from the magazine though. It’s a righteous bitch however. Twin recoil springs and a tiny slide. It’s fucking hard to do. Hardest auto of any caliber I’ve ever owned to rack the slide. But... if you cock the hammer and try it again, easy peasy.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

No disagreement hence I am wondering about strength period. That said a DA revolver is easily cocked providing a light trigger pull.

I always have this thought when this topic comes up, so long as it's not a bobbed hammer.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the EZ? We rent and sell a slew of them and everyone seems satisfied, if not enthusiastic.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only is the EZ easy, duh, but those little wings on the slide make it less of a “pinching” action and more just brute pulling action. Easier.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
For weaker hands, dont forget the Ruger LCR revolvers. They have some of the smoothest lightest triggers, much lighter than a typical 12 pound Smith & Wesson trigger.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife has weak hands and now osteoarthritis in the base of the thumb. We just went to the range yesterday to have her shoot her S&W 520 with action by Randy Lee of Apex. It has a 6.5 lb (average by Lyman gauge) double action trigger, shoots reliably at that weight; is modified for moon clips so reloading is easy. As an L-frame it's about the right weight.

We're going next week to an OpSpec class so we'll see how she does there. I have ordered splints for her thumbs.

The Shield EZ is not on the CA approved list.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
For weaker hands, dont forget the Ruger LCR revolvers. They have some of the smoothest lightest triggers, much lighter than a typical 12 pound Smith & Wesson trigger.

I had a gunsmith install wilson combat springs in my 642 and brought it down to six. then the gunshop owner let me try the trigger on his lcr. and it was still better. But I like my smith!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
What's wrong with the EZ? We rent and sell a slew of them and everyone seems satisfied, if not enthusiastic.

That what I was wondering here. Bought a 380 Shield EZ 380 M2.0 not long after it came out, its been a good little 380. The ladies really seem to like it compared to other guns I own above 22RF.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post