SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot my first Dot Torture drill (SIG P230)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my first Dot Torture drill (SIG P230) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I'd seen this drill in videos and articles but hadn't ever tried it before today. I shot my SIG P230, which I don't carry and don't typically shoot a lot, because I had .380 ammo loaded up and was out of everything else. Distance was 4 yards. Some people advise starting at 3 yards. I drew from a loose Bianchi IWB holster, just stuffed in my right front pocket. Reloads came from my left pocket. I obviously need to work on my weak hand, and I'm not super pleased with strong hand only either, though I guess if it breaks the line it counts. The DA first shot pull was usable two-handed and strong hand, but weak-handed I need to practice for sure. Anyway, it's a fun drill and a good way to warm up, and you might want to try it out.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Anyway, it's a fun drill and a good way to warm up

Agreed.

For those who'd like to try it, here's a website with instructions and free printable targets.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

(Click on the image of the target to bring up a full size printable PDF target.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Try it with an instructor calling out numbers and how many shots to fire all while moving (advancing) on the target. That drill was an eye opener.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good time.
Thanks for the link, planning on shooting this Sunday so I'll try it out!

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to print the targets!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the new training aid! Looks like you did pretty good in my opinion.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I enjoy that drill...and the targets are useful for a number of different drills. That's pretty darn good shooting, especially for a little .380!

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
needs to be on five pages (two targets each )

put one ,two target page in each lane and move in between.

disclaimer:
sorry , I am a Gemini, and almost nothing is good enough , something always needs fixing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
needs to be on five pages (two targets each )

put one ,two target page in each lane and move in between.

Personally, I don't see any benefit to that. What do you believe that will accomplish?

Besides, most people aren't willing to pay for 5 separate range lanes at a time while practicing...

For example, at most of the ranges around here, it's ~$15 per lane per hour. That would require $75, for no extra benefit, when the same drill could be accomplished using just one lane for just $15.

Even if you have a private range with unlimited target stands available, I don't see the benefit of hanging separate targets for each string of fire in this specific drill.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting!

I like that one. Three others that I like are the Consistency Drill from Guerrilla Aproach, the F.A.S.T. Drill by the late Todd Green that Ernest Langdon does and a simple 20 or so dot target by Tactical Performance.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast

https://guerrillaapproach.com/...istency-target-free/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/file...?8835263832813347138

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Dot Torture drill is one of my favorites. Good shooting.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Good shooting.
I shoot dot torture at least twice a month with both my carry gun and my range gun and am able to clear it easily now at 10yds regularly.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good shooting, OP! I'll have to give this one a try

Posts: 131 | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Haven't done this before. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I browsed the website and it had a bunch of other useful drills and info. Looking forward to the challenge the next time I hit the range. I can only imagine how bad my weak hand will be since I only shoot it that way once in a blue moon during my range trips.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Tried it with my old Glock 23 and did a bit better (but from 3 yards). I don't shoot this pistol much but every time I do, I shoot it pretty well. I just don't like the ergos. Can't argue with the results though. Next time I'll move out to 4 or 5 yards.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Good shooting.
I shoot dot torture at least twice a month with both my carry gun and my range gun and am able to clear it easily now at 10yds regularly.
Wow. That's impressive!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Failed with Dan Wesson 1911; pulled one shot low left strong hand. D'oh!

Major failures with S&W M&P 340PD. Sights still print way to the right even after a trip to the factory, Big Dot front sight doesn't help precision. Plus I suck. Big Grin

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Failed with CZ75B Omega. I shot SA with the safety on to start. The DA trigger on this needs some smoothing. I pulled one shot low/right shooting weak handed. Concentration slipped, going too fast. D'oh!

posted Hide Post
interesting.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Passed with Beretta 92FS Brigadier after a quick fail/restart (see the pasty at 7 o'clock on the top dot). This pistol hits ridiculously low. I had to hold 12 o'clock to hit center at 3 yards. I then shot a Glock 19 on the same target and passed also. Time to move to 4 or 5 yards next attempt.