SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230SL project...complete
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230SL project...complete Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Absolute Classic

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Absolute Classic

Yes....so much so, I immediately regretted trading my first one away; it was a 1984 proofed gun with three mags and original box. I only did it to get a unicorn of a gun...a Beretta 87 Long Barrel. That guy wouldn't sell....would only trade and the only thing he would accept of what I offered was the first 230SL I had. The fact that he immediately traded it away on something else was insult on top of injury.

So...I've been on the hunt for a Herndon or Tysons example since. I found this one of all places during my weekly stop at my LGS and it wasn't pretty put polished out nicely.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.
The stainless 230/232 with wood grips are great looking guns.
I have a 232 .380 with Nills. I would love to have a .32 to go with it.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Very nice PGT.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
So sexy.
The 230SL would be the last SIG in my safe I would ever sell.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice. What was the project?

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Nice. What was the project?

a) finding another P230SL at a good price, b) cleaning it up and polishing out 25+ years of wear, c) finding the 32acp barrel and d) getting the barrel modified to work on the P230 (it was from a P232 with small extractor vs. large on the P230) and then finding walnut grips for it (and new grip screws...old ones were buggered).

Now....to figure out what to do with the old 380 barrel and whether to remark the slide for 7,65B vs. 9mm Kurz

posted Hide Post
Who did the barrel swap?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Josh at Allegheny Arms & Gun Works up in PA. He also milled the barrel for the larger extractor on the P230 slide. I compared my Japanese Spec 7,65B example and confirmed it had the same size extractor. Josh put a few mags through the gun after the work and confirmed all was good to go.

posted Hide Post
It looks great - I thought you had found a NIB P230 until I saw your polishing comments! I assume (knowing what that spells!) that you're using .32 magazines - but the stainless mag looks like a .380 mag. Now you're forcing me to go downstairs and check a .32 round in a 230 magazine. Seeing your location - I assume you've seen that there are at least three P230/P232's on VaGT right now. Prices aren't bad either ...

Edited to add: Having time on my hands ... Wink ... I tried an S&B 7,65 round in a .380 P230 magazine and it looks like it would work. The lips have plenty of 'grab' on the sides of the round - but, I don't know if the round would be presented at the correct angle to feed. Kind of an exercise in futility since the odds of me finding a .32 barrel are prolly slim to none!!

Sorry for Mr. Blurrycam - I have no idea how to get an iPhone to focus at such short distance ... Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep...I've seen them and surprised they haven't sold yet. The 7,65 mags I have are not caliber stamped yet I've read that the followers might be different. Comparing them, they're indeed different but likely not due to caliber but rather generational updates/changes.

32acp runs flawlessly in those "380" mags shown in the pic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Yep...I've seen them and surprised they haven't sold yet. The 7,65 mags I have are not caliber stamped yet I've read that the followers might be different. Comparing them, they're indeed different but likely not due to caliber but rather generational updates/changes.

32acp runs flawlessly in those "380" mags shown in the pic.

Must be revisions, as its been posted before that the 32/380 use the same mags.

Did the barrel come from a Japanese pistol or was you able to find a spare barrel somewhere?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It was a spare P232 barrel in the SIG/Hammerli bag. Numrich had some...unclear if more than one because it went OOS when I purchased mine. I regret not buying earlier in case more were available as I'd love a matching blued version.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I guess it wasn't as complete as I expected....decided some proper grips were needed or it would always bug me. These took a litte bit to fit but nothing too major.

Big thanks to sj4550 for parting with these.

Picture of BoehT
posted Hide Post
Nice!

-Bo

Posts: 548 | Location: Allen, TX | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
LOL...you're errywhere

Picture of BoehT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
LOL...you're errywhere

Yup. I was on SF way before I felt forced to jump into social media

-Bo

Posts: 548 | Location: Allen, TX | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Just by the pictures, I like the set of grips shown in the first picture the best.

First set appear to have thumbrests, both sides?

Interesting pistol your created.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Absolute Classic

A beautiful classic pistol. Congratulations, well done!

Posts: 39 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post