SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Check out the S&W Model 19 Carry Comp from the Performance Center.

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
A 70's vintage Model 19 or Model 66 S&W would be my choice. Smooth actions, easy to shoot

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Thinking about a new 357 Magnum with a 3" or possibly a 4" barrel. On the list Kimber, S&W, Colt and Ruger. A smooth DA trigger a significant issue. Opioins on the current manufacturers?
The truth is that ANY of those brands will serve you well.

Today's Modern manufacturing and metallurgical techniques minimizes any strength difference between the brands (Forged vs. Cast)

It comes down to personal preference. Different folks buy firearms for different reasons

I was going to point out those in the previous posts but some folks might take that as an attack on what they like.

Once you get past a Favorite Manufacturer, then you have to deal with Blue Steel, Nickel Plated or Stainless construction

The best advice we can give you is go out with some shooting buddies and try what they own. Your personal experience with half a dozen revolvers greatly Trumps a hundred opinions of anonymous folks on the Internet

All that said, my personal preference for a 3"- 4" 357 Magnum revolver sits with various Smith and Wesson models depending on if I am trying to conceal, belt carry, target shoot or headed to a BBQ

Here are some examples

My preference for Smith and Wesson goes back decades to when a 6" Model 27 was my first new firearm. I like the visual characteristics of the S&W product, I like the almost always perfect out of the box single action "Glass Break" trigger that has been common on their product for well over half a century.

The Colt action is longer on the DA pull, the appearance of the cast frame Rugers just never appealed to me. The Kimbers have a very impressive action and they are going places with those models, I just visually prefer a Smith and Wesson. Though a snubby Kimber s in my future

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
+1 for GP-100 4“

Mine is a great shooter and of course hell-for-stout. I put a gold bead front and ghost ring rear on it and it acquires the target super quick. This is more a defense set-up, not quite as accurate for target shooting, of course.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a S&W Model 66-8 that I really like. I also have a S&W 327. The Pugnose shoots great too.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was let down by the Kimber.
A friend bought one. A friend who buys a lot of guns, then sells them relatively quickly at discount prices. So I had my hopes up for a future purchase. Big Grin

But when I handled it and shot it, I was underwhelmed. For the praises I'd read (and price) I expected it to be better built. I lost all interest in getting it or another.

As others have said, I'd look at older S&W's.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Kimber K6 is what you seek. Someone should send one to the company calling itself s&w. So they can see what a fine revolver is. Regards 18DAI

If only Kimber would make a barrel longer than 2"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of new production guns: GP100.
In the used market:
S&W 686, 586, 581, 66, 65, 13, 19, GP100.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Kimber makes the K6 in a 3 inch barrel. With or without a hammer. Im looking at 1 of each as I type this. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Visco:
Check out the S&W Model 19 Carry Comp from the Performance Center.

I thought seriously about the Carry Comp since back in the early 70s I had a Model 19 with the 4" barrel. I really liked it but like a moron I sold it.

What I am not sure I would like is the ported barrel especially in a self defense situation where your gun might be close to your body. So I decided to buy the 66-8 with the 2.75" barrel. I sent it off to S&W a few days ago for their "Master Revolver Action Package". After all is said and done I should have just as nice of a revolver as far as the action goes at a cheaper price than the Carry Comp. I do realize that with the Carry Comp you get an extra set of grips, front night sight, and different finish on the revolver but those are things I am not concerned about.

S&W should have received it yesterday except for the fact that FedEx lost it for two days after picking it up. That made me nervous for a good while. FedEx customer service sucked for a couple of days. Finally someone who knew what they were doing located my package.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Lotta good choices already presented here though I’ll give my 2 cents. If you want one that you can easily carry and enjoy at the range, then I feel that is where the SP101 shines. Not the smoothest or prettiest out there, and only 5 rounds, but it’s a tank and actually handles the 357 recoil quite well while being a nice and more compact package. I like mine in the 3” variant quite a bit.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I’m a fan of 357 wheel guns, 3-4” barrels are my favorites. I do have 2 & 6” models also.

My 586 has a great trigger, even the bare bones S&W Model 65 is smooth. A Model 60 with a 3” is great too.

I can’t help but buy the Ruger Security-Six when I see one at a good price. Not as smooth as a Smith, but a fine revolver.

Also a Ruger fan.

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger special edition LIPSEYS 5.5 HALF LUG

Posts: 29 | Location: tn | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
What's it going to be used for? Carry? Target? Range toy? For carry I have a Smith 3" 66 pre-lock that I absolutely love. I've also got a Ruger 3" GP100 with the Novak sights in 10mm, but they also make a similar revolver in .357 that is comparable to the 3" 66. My GP100 has the easiest to stage DA pull of any double action revolver that I own. Target and range toy, hard to argue against a Smith 4" 686 with the 6" barrel better for target if you want to go that long. That said I'd be looking at used Smiths rather than new production.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 686 and a GP100. I like longer barrels on my 357 Mags as I’ve used them as hunting sidearms for years. With a little work, the out of the box trigger advantage that the S&W has can be equalized. Both are great guns. If I needed a 357 Mag to be a tank, eat tons of magnum loads and last forever, I’d get the Ruger. The 686 IMO is a better looking handgun. You’re probably not likely to wear either one of them out in your lifetime unless you shoot the crap out of them.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with the new Colt 3" King Cobra. Really has a nice trigger and I like the front sight a lot.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I must say there are a ton of nice revolvers in the .357 flavor. But for me and real life use, I am a Ruger fan of the GP kind.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Manurhin MR73. Makes a Smith look weak. Smile

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
No love for the Rhino in this thread?

If money is no object then I suppose there's the Korth, but I get the feeling that's not what the OP is looking for.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
Manurhin MR73. Makes a Smith look weak. Smile

-Tom

Beautiful!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post