SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have both a GP100 and 686. They are both nice guns and each have pros and cons. I like the Ruger a bit more due to it's cylinder release. The button is quicker and easier to use for me. I will keep both as they are both great revolvers..

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The only. 357 magnum I really want is a Smith 3" 686+.

I bought a 3" Talo 686+ several years ago.
I don't care about the lock since I never use it.

I liked it so much I bought another one.
One of only 2 handguns I own the same make and model of.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Kimber makes the K6 in a 3 inch barrel. With or without a hammer. Im looking at 1 of each as I type this. Smile Regards 18DAI

That 3" is sweeet....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what... no python fans??????

Posts: 86 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My one and only current production Smith with the annoying lock had a clocked barrel that no amount of sight adjustment could compensate. I took it back to the shop for a full refund. I've heard this isn't uncommon with newer Smiths.
But classic pre-lock smiths are out there and that would be my advice. If you want new then a good look at the new Colt .357 or a Ruger GP.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my 357 shooting is a purely recreational, i prefer the GP100 as its build and heft just lend themselves to comfortable range fun. Once broken in, it can be a very smooth shooter. I love mine and wont part with it.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Go S&W. If to carry 686+ or 586 3”. Range use go to N frame 8 rods. 6”. If you don’t like the trigger they fairly easy to work on. They are all fine guns I just prefer S&W.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally decided to get another wheel gun. I shoot semi's so much better. I went with a S&W 686+ 7 round .357 3" Magnum.

The trigger is pretty good. Very accurate from the factory with all ammo. For those who care a very attractive gun. My only other choice was a Model 66 Combat magnum. I really regretted selling my old 2 1/2" K Frame.

My only con is if you want to shoot magnum loads I would change the pretty wood grips for rubber.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I only read a few replies and some were what I would have said. No need to repeat, so here is my very recent experience. I’ve wanted a Ruger GP100 for years and finally broke down and bought one. I just sent it back to Ruger yesterday, but not till I put about 100 rounds thru it. From what I read in the Ruger Forum, Ruger QC isn’t what it used to be. Mine came with a deep rust spot on the barrel and I would give the bluing job a 2 out of 10. You can see machine marks in the photo below. When I shot some of my .357 handloads I got a very nasty and painful trigger slap. Hardly noticeable with factory loads, including some warm Underwood ammo. Other than my handloads, which I never indented for anything but my levergun, it handles well. I have several Rugers, but only two that I bought brand new. A Mini-14 and the GP100. Both had to go back to Ruger. No problems with the used Rugers that I have purchased.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see you identify what role you expected to use this revolver in.

I respect S&W a Lot, I like Colt [old/original] and am a Ruger fan. The current Kimber doesn't do much for me.

IF smooth DA trigger pull, out of the box, is a significant issue, I think you should look at the 3" Ruger LCRx in .357mag.

The tradeoff is the 5 rounds and light weight- but it has a smoother and lighter DA trigger pull, out of the box, than the GP100, the S&W lineup, or my Colt's did.

That said, I use my revolvers for range fun, and want a minimum of 6 rounds in my revolver.

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W or GP100.

While we are on the subject, a weird one, but that has a smooth DA trigger also, was the Rhino revolver. I don't want one- but they are smooth.

If you have the skills to do some spring changes and 'smithing, or are willing to have a 'smith work on them, any of them can be made smooth and reliable , and some can get lighter than others in DA pull while still igniting any ammo reliably.

IF you are wanting a range gun only, and are willing to either handload or stick to one brand of .357ammo, you can probably get the trigger even lighter- but it may then not ignite harder primers.

This circles back to the role you envision for it. What is your purpose?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Purpose of the wheelgun would be primarily woods carry. A slim auto is more urban concealed carry in my part of the world.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I only read a few replies and some were what I would have said. No need to repeat, so here is my very recent experience. I’ve wanted a Ruger GP100 for years and finally broke down and bought one. I just sent it back to Ruger yesterday, but not till I put about 100 rounds thru it. From what I read in the Ruger Forum, Ruger QC isn’t what it used to be. Mine came with a deep rust spot on the barrel and I would give the bluing job a 2 out of 10. You can see machine marks in the photo below. When I shot some of my .357 handloads I got a very nasty and painful trigger slap. Hardly noticeable with factory loads, including some warm Underwood ammo. Other than my handloads, which I never indented for anything but my levergun, it handles well. I have several Rugers, but only two that I bought brand new. A Mini-14 and the GP100. Both had to go back to Ruger. No problems with the used Rugers that I have purchased.

I purchased a brand new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 357 magnum and the first range session the front sight and base flew off the barrel. Ruger fixed it no questions asked but come on, not even a whole box of ammo through it.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t need a lightweight for carry definitely get a good heavy steel frame revolver. Especially if you’re going to shoot it a lot. I bought the short barrel Ruger lcr 357. It has a really smooth trigger, but that things kicks. Makes my super blackhawk 44 mag feel like a 22 after shooting the 357 LCR. I wish I could afford a stainless python.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For dancing at the prom once a year get a 686. For dirty dancing at the bar every weekend, pick up a slightly used GP100.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I like the "Big Three", S&W, Colt, and Ruger. I have more Rugers than anything else.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:

I purchased a brand new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 357 magnum and the first range session the front sight and base flew off the barrel. Ruger fixed it no questions asked but come on, not even a whole box of ammo through it.

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel in 357 Magnum that was made in 1977. Never a problem. Great revolver, but QC was a lot better back then.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
I didn't see you identify what role you expected to use this revolver in.

I respect S&W a Lot, I like Colt [old/original] and am a Ruger fan. The current Kimber doesn't do much for me.

IF smooth DA trigger pull, out of the box, is a significant issue, I think you should look at the 3" Ruger LCRx in .357mag.

The tradeoff is the 5 rounds and light weight- but it has a smoother and lighter DA trigger pull, out of the box, than the GP100, the S&W lineup, or my Colt's did.

That said, I use my revolvers for range fun, and want a minimum of 6 rounds in my revolver.

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W or GP100.

While we are on the subject, a weird one, but that has a smooth DA trigger also, was the Rhino revolver. I don't want one- but they are smooth.

If you have the skills to do some spring changes and 'smithing, or are willing to have a 'smith work on them, any of them can be made smooth and reliable , and some can get lighter than others in DA pull while still igniting any ammo reliably.

IF you are wanting a range gun only, and are willing to either handload or stick to one brand of .357ammo, you can probably get the trigger even lighter- but it may then not ignite harder primers.

My mom recently got a Ruger LCR in 357 mag. It is stoked with 38 +P tactical loads and lives by her bed stand. Was the only she could work the trigger on. We tried a number of autos she could not reliably work the slides. She just turned 89.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W

My mom recently got a Ruger LCR in 357 mag. It is stoked with 38 +P tactical loads and lives by her bed stand. Was the only one she could work the trigger on. We tried a number of autos she could not reliably work the slides. She just turned 89.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A 3” SP101 is a great carry gun for the woods.

A tuned N frame smith can have a better trigger, but it costs quite a bit.

A 3” 686 plus handles beautifully, My next gun will be a 3” model 60.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A 3” SP101 is a great carry gun for the woods.

A tuned N frame smith can have a better trigger, but it costs quite a bit.

A 3” 686 plus handles beautifully, My next gun will be a 3” model 60.

I've got a 686+ 2-5/8" barrel that I had S&W do a Combat Revolver Package on. It is phenomenal. The bead blast finish is great (much better than the factory satin finish) and trigger is outstanding in both DA & SA. I have recently starting carrying my Model 60 Pro 3" on extended hikes though due to the weight savings.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post