SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have both a GP100 and 686. They are both nice guns and each have pros and cons. I like the Ruger a bit more due to it's cylinder release. The button is quicker and easier to use for me. I will keep both as they are both great revolvers..

Posts: 4879 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The only. 357 magnum I really want is a Smith 3" 686+.

I bought a 3" Talo 686+ several years ago.
I don't care about the lock since I never use it.

I liked it so much I bought another one.
One of only 2 handguns I own the same make and model of.

Certified iPhone and Glock fan-boi..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Posts: 4027 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Kimber makes the K6 in a 3 inch barrel. With or without a hammer. Im looking at 1 of each as I type this. Smile Regards 18DAI

That 3" is sweeet....

Posts: 7315 | Location: WPA loving the weather..missing Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what... no python fans??????

Posts: 17 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My one and only current production Smith with the annoying lock had a clocked barrel that no amount of sight adjustment could compensate. I took it back to the shop for a full refund. I've heard this isn't uncommon with newer Smiths.
But classic pre-lock smiths are out there and that would be my advice. If you want new then a good look at the new Colt .357 or a Ruger GP.

Posts: 28 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my 357 shooting is a purely recreational, i prefer the GP100 as its build and heft just lend themselves to comfortable range fun. Once broken in, it can be a very smooth shooter. I love mine and wont part with it.

Posts: 1948 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Go S&W. If to carry 686+ or 586 3”. Range use go to N frame 8 rods. 6”. If you don’t like the trigger they fairly easy to work on. They are all fine guns I just prefer S&W.

Posts: 1038 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally decided to get another wheel gun. I shoot semi's so much better. I went with a S&W 686+ 7 round .357 3" Magnum.

The trigger is pretty good. Very accurate from the factory with all ammo. For those who care a very attractive gun. My only other choice was a Model 66 Combat magnum. I really regretted selling my old 2 1/2" K Frame.

My only con is if you want to shoot magnum loads I would change the pretty wood grips for rubber.

Why are we encouraged not to judge all Muslims by the lunatics BUT are encouraged to judge all gun owners by the very few lunatics? Ironic?

Posts: 1543 | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I only read a few replies and some were what I would have said. No need to repeat, so here is my very recent experience. I’ve wanted a Ruger GP100 for years and finally broke down and bought one. I just sent it back to Ruger yesterday, but not till I put about 100 rounds thru it. From what I read in the Ruger Forum, Ruger QC isn’t what it used to be. Mine came with a deep rust spot on the barrel and I would give the bluing job a 2 out of 10. You can see machine marks in the photo below. When I shot some of my .357 handloads I got a very nasty and painful trigger slap. Hardly noticeable with factory loads, including some warm Underwood ammo. Other than my handloads, which I never indented for anything but my levergun, it handles well. I have several Rugers, but only two that I bought brand new. A Mini-14 and the GP100. Both had to go back to Ruger. No problems with the used Rugers that I have purchased.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2091 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see you identify what role you expected to use this revolver in.

I respect S&W a Lot, I like Colt [old/original] and am a Ruger fan. The current Kimber doesn't do much for me.

IF smooth DA trigger pull, out of the box, is a significant issue, I think you should look at the 3" Ruger LCRx in .357mag.

The tradeoff is the 5 rounds and light weight- but it has a smoother and lighter DA trigger pull, out of the box, than the GP100, the S&W lineup, or my Colt's did.

That said, I use my revolvers for range fun, and want a minimum of 6 rounds in my revolver.

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W or GP100.

While we are on the subject, a weird one, but that has a smooth DA trigger also, was the Rhino revolver. I don't want one- but they are smooth.

If you have the skills to do some spring changes and 'smithing, or are willing to have a 'smith work on them, any of them can be made smooth and reliable , and some can get lighter than others in DA pull while still igniting any ammo reliably.

IF you are wanting a range gun only, and are willing to either handload or stick to one brand of .357ammo, you can probably get the trigger even lighter- but it may then not ignite harder primers.

This circles back to the role you envision for it. What is your purpose?

Sig P226, P220 Carry Stainless Elite, and a bunch of non-sigs. Smile

Posts: 543 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Purpose of the wheelgun would be primarily woods carry. A slim auto is more urban concealed carry in my part of the world.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 771 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I only read a few replies and some were what I would have said. No need to repeat, so here is my very recent experience. I’ve wanted a Ruger GP100 for years and finally broke down and bought one. I just sent it back to Ruger yesterday, but not till I put about 100 rounds thru it. From what I read in the Ruger Forum, Ruger QC isn’t what it used to be. Mine came with a deep rust spot on the barrel and I would give the bluing job a 2 out of 10. You can see machine marks in the photo below. When I shot some of my .357 handloads I got a very nasty and painful trigger slap. Hardly noticeable with factory loads, including some warm Underwood ammo. Other than my handloads, which I never indented for anything but my levergun, it handles well. I have several Rugers, but only two that I bought brand new. A Mini-14 and the GP100. Both had to go back to Ruger. No problems with the used Rugers that I have purchased.

I purchased a brand new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 357 magnum and the first range session the front sight and base flew off the barrel. Ruger fixed it no questions asked but come on, not even a whole box of ammo through it.

DPR

Posts: 483 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t need a lightweight for carry definitely get a good heavy steel frame revolver. Especially if you’re going to shoot it a lot. I bought the short barrel Ruger lcr 357. It has a really smooth trigger, but that things kicks. Makes my super blackhawk 44 mag feel like a 22 after shooting the 357 LCR. I wish I could afford a stainless python.

Posts: 53 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For dancing at the prom once a year get a 686. For dirty dancing at the bar every weekend, pick up a slightly used GP100.

"Live every day as if it's going to be your last, and one day, you'll be right.”
Malachy McCourt

Posts: 11259 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I like the "Big Three", S&W, Colt, and Ruger. I have more Rugers than anything else.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 22907 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:

I purchased a brand new Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 357 magnum and the first range session the front sight and base flew off the barrel. Ruger fixed it no questions asked but come on, not even a whole box of ammo through it.

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel in 357 Magnum that was made in 1977. Never a problem. Great revolver, but QC was a lot better back then.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2091 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
I didn't see you identify what role you expected to use this revolver in.

I respect S&W a Lot, I like Colt [old/original] and am a Ruger fan. The current Kimber doesn't do much for me.

IF smooth DA trigger pull, out of the box, is a significant issue, I think you should look at the 3" Ruger LCRx in .357mag.

The tradeoff is the 5 rounds and light weight- but it has a smoother and lighter DA trigger pull, out of the box, than the GP100, the S&W lineup, or my Colt's did.

That said, I use my revolvers for range fun, and want a minimum of 6 rounds in my revolver.

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W or GP100.

While we are on the subject, a weird one, but that has a smooth DA trigger also, was the Rhino revolver. I don't want one- but they are smooth.

If you have the skills to do some spring changes and 'smithing, or are willing to have a 'smith work on them, any of them can be made smooth and reliable , and some can get lighter than others in DA pull while still igniting any ammo reliably.

IF you are wanting a range gun only, and are willing to either handload or stick to one brand of .357ammo, you can probably get the trigger even lighter- but it may then not ignite harder primers.

My mom recently got a Ruger LCR in 357 mag. It is stoked with 38 +P tactical loads and lives by her bed stand. Was the only she could work the trigger on. We tried a number of autos she could not reliably work the slides. She just turned 89.

Mundus Vult Decipi

Posts: 1080 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:

If you want out of the box smooth/light, and don't/can't do any 'smithing to it [either yourself of having a 'smith do it], I think you should check out that LCRx, and compare to an off the shelf S&W

My mom recently got a Ruger LCR in 357 mag. It is stoked with 38 +P tactical loads and lives by her bed stand. Was the only one she could work the trigger on. We tried a number of autos she could not reliably work the slides. She just turned 89.

Mundus Vult Decipi

Posts: 1080 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A 3” SP101 is a great carry gun for the woods.

A tuned N frame smith can have a better trigger, but it costs quite a bit.

A 3” 686 plus handles beautifully, My next gun will be a 3” model 60.

Posts: 3740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A 3” SP101 is a great carry gun for the woods.

A tuned N frame smith can have a better trigger, but it costs quite a bit.

A 3” 686 plus handles beautifully, My next gun will be a 3” model 60.

I've got a 686+ 2-5/8" barrel that I had S&W do a Combat Revolver Package on. It is phenomenal. The bead blast finish is great (much better than the factory satin finish) and trigger is outstanding in both DA & SA. I have recently starting carrying my Model 60 Pro 3" on extended hikes though due to the weight savings.

============================================
Photographs: http://photos.digitalperspective.org/
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1368 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post