SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel gun comparison 357 magnums Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Thinking about a new 357 Magnum with a 3" or possibly a 4" barrel. On the list Kimber, S&W, Colt and Ruger. A smooth DA trigger a significant issue. Opioins on the current manufacturers? Just looking on line the Kimber is attractive but never held one or tried the trigger.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Kimber has a good but odd trigger for a revolver.

Smith makes a great revolver barring QC issues. Triggers vary out of the box but all get better with age.

My last GP100 actually had a better trigger out of the box then most Smiths. The GP100 has the best locking system and that is what helps it last with lots of hot or heavy loads.

I don’t have any experience with current Colts.

Honestly if it were my dollar I feel like a Smith 686 or GP100 will both offer you a fantastic revolver with the same basic QC problems that may give you a lemon or problems. I own both I like both. I have a pre lock 686+ 2.5 inch that is awesome and a 3 inch GP100 that feels and shoots great. If you take the mystique and collectibility out of it I think I like the GP more.

But at the end of the day this is one of those “religion, politics, abortion” type questions. Folks have. STRONG feelings about their hogleg of choice. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Look for a nice pre-lock S&W in a Model 19 or 686. Best 'off the shelf' trigger pulls in a standard revolver.
They range from $500 to around $ 700 and will hold their value or increase in value if kept in nice condition, IMHO.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Look for a nice pre-lock S&W in a Model 19 or 686. Best 'off the shelf' trigger pulls in a standard revolver.
They range from $500 to around $ 700.

Yeah, one of my several 'great deals' was a pawn shop buy one Christmas season about 10 years ago. They were due for an ATF inspection and were trying to move used guns fast to cut down on inventory. S&W 66-3, 4" with rubber & wood grips, plus box - $350 after I balked at the $450 sale price. It had seen some honest use and needed a new rear sight leaf, but had a smooooooth DA and crisp SA trigger.

Great gun.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Go N frame 357 and never look back. Pro series fine. 8 rounds not 6. N frame will accommodate 44 mag, 357 even full house it eats right up. I have several ruger 357 including GP100 and blackhawk and much prefer the Smiths, just shoot them better. I would wait on Colts to iron out bugs from their new snakes

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
They range from $500 to around $ 700 and will hold their value or increase in value if kept in nice condition, IMHO.

THIS, would also be my suggestion. I love my model 19. I've fed it lots of 158 grain .357's......but if you want to feed it hotter stuff go with a 586/686.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Ruger LCR has an amazing DA trigger for a stock out of the box revolver. I’d look at one of them for sure.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
There was a GP-100 Stainless 6" barrel at the shop last year. I kept procrastinating on it. I ended up selling it to a guy for $575.00. I really liked the trigger on it. Still kicking myself for not grabbing it myself.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Gee, I really like my Dan Wesson 715.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The only. 357 magnum I really want is a Smith 3" 686+.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Kimber K6S hammerless is solid. Chamber timing seems quicker than either Smiths or Rugers. If I was to do one again, it would be the DA/SA variant (external hammer). 357M Wheelgun options are many. Do you want 5 or 6 or 7 rounds? Ruger SP101 with 2 1/4 barrel or 3” makes for a reliable carry and handles full house Magnum loads rather well. Ruger even makes it in 327 Magnum ( nothing to sneeze at ) with the benefit of 6 instead of the traditional 5 rounds. Ruger GP100 & Smith & Wesson 686 will work a lifetime of hard use but not as easy to EDC as the K6S or SP101. Although I own a few Magnum capable revolvers, I usually carry them loaded with 38+P in urban settings. Modern 38 +P is more than adequate for things wearing shoes. Alas, if I could only have one, it would be a 3” GP100 in either 357M or 10mm as I just like its balance. Your wheel gun preference will be up to you Wink

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sp101 will never leave my collection.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
686, nuff said!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
back in the 80's we would have discussions about forged vs cast frames. S&W is forged, while Ruger is cast. I forget what Kimber and Colt are now, but colt was once forged.

I prefer forged since you get more strength per ounce of metal, but last time I brought this up on the forum, I got blasted for even mentioning it. It seems this is a touchy topic for some shooters.

But it's worthwhile to learn a little about each type.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm a Ruger Fan. S&W makes a very nice revolver, but I like the beefiness of the Rugers, I like how the trigger group is removable as a unit, I prefer their cylinder release design, and the absence of a Hillary hole.

My 4" GP100 is possibly the most accurate handgun I own. It's not so heavy that I couldn't comfortably belt-carry it all day, but yet heavy enough that it tames stout .357 loads with aplomb. The trigger is smooth and breaks crisply, and the factory grip is comfortable. A nice S&W Model 19 or 27 may be a bit more refined and collectible, but as a shooter, my GP100 gives up nothing to them.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The Ruger GP100 Match Champion is a fine 357 revolver. Out of the box trigger is very nice. The classic “built like a tank” Ruger design on this one means my grandchildren will be shooting it one day. On the other hand, as many here have mentioned, a S&W 686 is another great choice.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of 357 wheel guns, 3-4” barrels are my favorites. I do have 2 & 6” models also.

My 586 has a great trigger, even the bare bones S&W Model 65 is smooth. A Model 60 with a 3” is great too.

I can’t help but buy the Ruger Security-Six when I see one at a good price. Not as smooth as a Smith, but a fine revolver.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of sights are you looking for? Target? or Fixed? Range gun? HD Gun? Truck or Carry gun?

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Kimber K6 is what you seek. Someone should send one to the company calling itself s&w. So they can see what a fine revolver is. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently sold a S&W Model 27-2 and 19-5, both 6”. I still have a 27-3 4” and 19-6 2.5”

I do love my older Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post