SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting better one-handed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting better one-handed Login/Join 
posted
Just came from the range and I always shoot my competition guns two-handed but when it comes to my 365 I carry, I never found it comfortable to shoot two-handed. Tried one-handed just for the fun of it today. I was much more accurate and comfortable shooting it. Just wanted to pass along in case anyone else wants to give it a try. So much of this has to do with hand size, trigger control, etc., so remember that ymmv.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, discovered this about 25 years ago. I suspect it might be a small gun phenomena...dunno.

I use a one-hand grip with my S&W M36 2". No real weight, small grip, no real feel at the end of your arm like larger guns. I can shoot it better using one rather than two hands.

Never thought much about it again until your post. Thanks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a bullseye shooter...I learned to do thiswayyyyyback

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, isn't it, that we're "taught" to shoot differently these days. Then again, my USPSA Limited CZ really prefers both hands.

On the other hand...

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Or maybe when the gun goes into one hand, you pay more attention to the stuff that matters.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least half your practice should be done one-handed anyway, IMO. You can't always count on being able to use a perfect two-handed grip or stance.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
My rule of thumb is 25 percent. YMMV.

We shot “Blaze X” this morning to get some strong and support side work in.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 226 as well one handed, as two
Haven’t tried it yet on the 365 (it’s new) will try it next time at the range

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good idea to practice one-handed as well as two. It's also good to practice weak hand only sometimes.

It will feel funny at first but that feeling goes away as your coordination improves.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I have done off hand practice but I have some off hand holsters that I have used to practice carrying/drawing also.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Or maybe when the gun goes into one hand, you pay more attention to the stuff that matters.

This is what I found. I was very careful with the grip when shooting with one hand, and sloppier when using two hands. Showed me that a proper grip really does matter.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

And what is "comfortable" exactly? What are your metrics? How do you prove that you shoot better one way or another? I deal with a variation of this as an LE firearms instructor in low light qualification. We'll have a guy shoot 100% on the low light qualification and 86% on the daytime and then think they're somehow better in the dark, totally discarding that the courses are massively different and the low light one is idiotic.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect speed to be compromised when shooting one-handed.

It is a good skill to have though as is being able to shoot with your non-dominant hand.

So when people say they shoot better one-handed, are they taking speed into account?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post