SIGforum
Ruger LCR .327 Owners Weigh In

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2210029974

February 23, 2021, 10:26 AM
PASig
Ruger LCR .327 Owners Weigh In
I've been really wanting one of these for a long time and found one on an auction site that (so far) hasn't been bid up to some ludicrous $ amount.

I'd like to hear from any .327 LCR owners here about it. How does it pocket carry? My Dad actually has a fair amount of .32 H&R Magnum ammo that I know this can fire as well as .327 Federal Magnum, .32 S&W Long and even .32 ACP

Do they make a smaller grip for it than the stock one?

February 23, 2021, 11:10 AM
VictorLouis
How serendipitous, as I just wrungout my LCRx yesterday. First off, if your's is the shrouded hammer LCR, they offer this one:

https://shopruger.com/Hogue-LC...p/productinfo/19927/

I have time with that grip on a past LCR in 38. It is truly as minimal as it gets. I love the design as it the smooth plastic panels are on the side, so as to not be 'grappy' on your pocket material. Front and backstrap are cushioned rubber. Unfortunately, it wouldn't function on mine, as it rides up too far on the backstrap for hammer throw.

Your pocket tolerance may vary. I carry an Airweight BodyGuard .38, and the loaded weight is almost a twin. The LCR does have a steel mainframe, not alloy. Either is fine in sturdy gym shorts, and anything heavier-duty is effortless.

I tried .327 in: 110gr Gold Dot and Federal 85gr JSP, and 'Low-Recoil' 85gr HS. NOT for me, LOL. These loads, IMHO, are going to be better suited for the heavier SP101, Single-7, or steel Smiths. Neither were wrist-wrenching, mind you, just wholly unpleasant in the confines of indoor range. The lead and JHP .32H&R was dandy, and the latter is what I'll carry in it if choosing to do so.

OH, one more thing. Sights seem to be regulated for the .32 Short/S&W Long. Groups printed a couple inches higher with .32HR, and higher yet with .327.
February 23, 2021, 11:28 AM
VictimNoMore
I love my LCR in .327 Fed. Magnum for many reasons. I've owned several LCRs over the years, and the biggest downfall (for me) was caliber and capacity (in the .38/.357 models). The LCR in .327 Fed. Mag. solves all that. For me.
The caliber is very flexible (if you are a reloader like me). Mild to hot.
It carries very well for me (pocket) in pants with decent-sized pockets like dress slacks, chinos, etc. I just switched over to pocket carrying my P365 (another great gun) and the weight differnce is very noticable. The LCR with six 100-grain rounds in it is noticeably lighter than the P365. Doesn't weigh your pockets down.

In short, the LCR in .327 Fed. Mag. is a great choice for carry. With two speed-strips of 6 rounds each in my opposite pocket, I have 18 rounds total on me. Weight is lighter than a comparable semi-auto. I kept the factory grips on it, and nobody has ever even noticed that I'm carrying a revolver on me.

You'll shoot very few of the truly hot self-defense-type rounds. Just look at the energy they can deliver, however, and you'll see what .327 is all about.
But put some .32 H&R magnums in it and you can shoot all day long.
Love this gun.
February 23, 2021, 11:51 AM
Sunset_Va
I have wanted the LCRx in 327 for a long time.
I have it's brother , an SP101 in 327, I can carry it with no problem, but do admire the lighter weight of the LCRx.

No pocket carry for me, I would carry it in an IWB rig. The 327 is a good cartridge, it was first really beaten on when introduced. It took the second introduction to revive it.

My Ruger SP101 is the second edition. LCRx's are hard to find.

美しい犬
February 23, 2021, 03:07 PM
Fredward
I have the Ruger SP101 in 3 inch and the LCR, shrouded hammer. The LCR carries very well in my parka pocket, I keep it there for weather like we had the last two weeks. Reminds me of the ancient times when I did traffic stops with a j-frame in my patrol jacket pocket. I could have a gun in hand while making initial contact and getting a "feel" for the situation.
February 24, 2021, 01:27 PM
PASig
Well the LCR .327 will have to wait for better, less-insane times because this thing got bid up to nearly 900 HUNDRED DOLLARS last night.

It has an MRSP of $669 and would sell for $650 in normal times.

I'll wait. Roll Eyes

February 24, 2021, 01:49 PM
monoblok
quote:

More like $525 to $560 actually.

-MG
February 24, 2021, 01:53 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:

More like $525 to $560 actually.

The .38 version yes

This is a rarer version that I think always did fetch a little more than the .38

February 24, 2021, 10:35 PM
VictimNoMore
It’s worth the wait.
I had to shop around for a while (and this was in “normal” times) before I found mine at Grab A Gun.
Davidson’s Gun Genie is also a good source for locating LCRs.
Hang in there.
February 25, 2021, 12:05 AM
Lefty Sig
Why S&W doesn't offer a J-frame .327 snub or a reborn 940 9mm is just unexplainable. I would buy both.
February 25, 2021, 08:53 PM
MagnumU
Big fan of the .327 Federal Magnum and the option to use the .32 S&W and .32 H&R Magnum. Best round for a first time handgun shooter, .32 S&W wadcutters have no recoil and make those perfect circle bullet holes in paper targets. For carry, you have 6 rounds and can choose where you want to be on the spectrum of controllability and projectile performance. When comparing velocity figures, keep in mind the short barrel.
February 26, 2021, 07:09 PM
roustabout
The LCR chambered in .327 will be worth waiting for. Mine is a .38 SPL, and with the Hornady 90 grain load, it’s a soft shooter and very accurate. My experience with .327 Federal has been with the GP100 7 shot revolver. As heavy as it is, 100 grain American Eagle loads have pretty significant recoil, but still fun to shoot. Before the latest ammo shortage, I would handload Hornady 100 grain and also 85 grain XTP bullets in Starline brass. Most of those were near max loadings, and they were no wilder than the American Eagle rounds. If I were shooting the .327 LCR, I would stick with the .32 H&R Magnum. It would be easier to handle and still adequate for self defense.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo