SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there any intrinsic value to a West German P226?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any intrinsic value to a West German P226? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
The reason I ask is because I have an old West German SIG that's a great gun but it has years and mileage on her and I have thought about getting her refinished, new sights, new shoes etc. I wanted to know if that would kill any potential value.

I realize we ain't talking about a Great War 1911 or a Colt Snake or vintage Smith etc. but I wasn't sure if there was any real value to be lost.

Thanks much,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The reason I ask is because I have an old West German SIG that's a great gun but it has years and mileage on her and I have thought about getting her refinished, new sights, new shoes etc. I wanted to know if that would kill any potential value.

Thanks much,
Chris

None.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Folded slide SIGs are not rare. A cherry P226 will bring a fair price, but not in your case. Do whatever you want and you will not affect the value much. Don't expect to ever get all of your upgrade money back.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don't buy guns to specifically sell or profit so getting any money back out of a refinish etc. is not part of my mindset. I just sort of see it as fun project next year.

Thanks all strangely that is exactly the answer I wanted. Smile
Chris.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for everyone, but as a buyer of W. German Sigs I am turned off to aftermarket modifications. When I buy the W. German guns, I want them as close to factory original as possible. If there is any question as to their authenticity, I will "usually" pass on them.

Posts: 727 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yeah I totally get that but you aren't looking to spend python money to get a West German gun. If there was some huge uptick in value I wasn't aware of I would keep it completely unmolested as much for value sake and as much for posterity sake. Like I would NEVER refinish an early 1911. There is just too much value and more importantly history there.

Since that's not really what we are talking here I feel better about making it a fun little project for me.

This isn't a hey I want sell this thing what can I get out of it question. It's a am I going to booger up any real history or value question. My family can figure out how to sell them when I am gone. Smile

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since that's not really what we are talking here I feel better about making it a fun little project for me.

Do it and enjoy.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:

Do it and enjoy.

Yup. Cool

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
As long as you plan on keeping it, do whatever you want.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
intrinsic

^ I had to look up the definition of that word. Eek

I agree with others, if you're gonna keep it, do whatever you'd like..

Consider CCR for the refinish.
I had CCR reinish this 2-tone WG P226 I took in a trade.

But I ended up selling the refinished P226 when I bought this one.
I needed a nice original P226 with all the goodies to hand down to the kids.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'd leave it alone. Patina on a SIG is a beautiful thing. As for the value thing, you never know. I've seen some stupid shit on Gunbroker including folded slide SIG's north of crazy.

Now pardon me while I retrieve an Honus Wagner T209 from the spokes of my Schwinn Stingray.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd do whatever I wanted. If it's not excellent or near new, you're not committing any sins Smile

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post