SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Icarus Precision Is Doing Some Interesting Things With the P320
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Icarus Precision Is Doing Some Interesting Things With the P320 Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I know we've had some other topics on this, but Icarus Precision started out making P320 Aluminum frames earlier this year. Given the price of the TXG Sig frames, I'd probably pay the $100 for the metal frame. This is the first one they came out with:

https://www.icarusprecision.co...ct-page/ace-320-grip

It's #380 and weighs 8.8oz. You can also get one with no texture if you want to texture it yourself or send it to someone else for some custom checkering. This model didn't interest me much.

Then they made one for the M17/M18:

https://www.icarusprecision.co...-ace-320-grip-module

This one really grabs me. It's a little more expensive, but it makes me want to build a custom P320 of my own. I do like how the thumb safety flares out so I can grip it like a 1911.

They've also got another frame coming called the "Tactical Carry." No pictures on their website, but there is an Instagram post with another frame, but it might just be the above without the safety. I'm also not sure how to post Instagram pictures of the forum since I'm not an Instagram member.

Either way, I might be ordering a frame and it might just solve my Legion problem with the Wilson frame too light and front heavy and the TXG frame have too bulky and slick grip.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice.

But, how strong and durable are these? They are aluminum alloy, so are they being hard coat anodized for strength? I see no mention of this. All I see is Cerakote mentioned.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Good question. It's also one I just emailed them. I'll post the answer as soon as I get one.

As an add-on, does anyone know what the status of the P320 Alpha frame is now that SIG Germany is closing down? And would that frame still fit in P320 holsters with that trigger guard?

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I know the pictures worked when I posted it, but it could have just been my laptop. Eitherway...

The reply I got back was Cerakote only. I'm waiting on a reply on what happens if the Cerakote rubs off.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They look to be "in the white", or not anodized.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not a bad deal if you want to anodize it in a particular color, but the whole effort still seems like reinventing a reinvention of the wheel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'd LINE-X the thing.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Seems very rough and unfinished to me. Without being properly type III anodized it will start to wear on the first firing.

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot warm up to them.
I wish that they would have gone for the "Alpha" look.
That would have made a much better splash for their product launch.

And checkering please, not golf ball dimples.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
So the grip is 80% of the price of the gun. LOL, yeahhhhhhh gunna be a no from me dog.....

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Nice.

But, how strong and durable are these? They are aluminum alloy, so are they being hard coat anodized for strength? I see no mention of this. All I see is Cerakote mentioned.

Anodizing does not add strength.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
quote:
Nice.

Ok, hardness. Satisfied? You sound like that guy who goes around correcting folks who say "clip" when they're talking about magazines.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nice.

Ok, hardness. Satisfied? You sound like that guy who goes around correcting folks who say "clip" when they're talking about magazines.

No I am not. Anodizing offers corrosion resistance, a bit wear resistance, looks nice and is cheap. Reading posts on this forum you would think that if aluminum is not anodized it is soda can strong. The quality of the aluminum alloy used is far more important. Also there are much better finishes for aluminum than anodizing.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anodizing reduces fatigue strength. It does not improve it. Anodizing never increases fatigue strength. There is more than one kind of anodizing, and the thickness has a direct impact on the reduction in strength that is created by anodizing a part or component.

It also depends on what's being anodized; aluminum sheet strength can be reduced by fifty percent in strength. A thicker part strength compromise is less.

Hard anodizing will have significantly reduced part strength, but increased wear resistance, to a point.

Anodizing introduces stress risers and the potential for part failure. Where color is the primary purpose of the anodizing, it's a tradeoff for appearance and aesthetics over part integrity.

The same is not true of coatings such as cerakote.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard anodizing is appx. 70 rockwell C and .002 (appx.) thick. It does offer wear resistance.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that Bruce Gray has posted details before describing the life reduction in Sig frames when the anodizing is removed, and CCR won't remove anodizing when refinishing a firearm frame, for the same reason.

Anodizing used in the correct location on the correct part as a design feature is integral to the design and function of that part and that specific application.

There is a trade off in most design functions: a part made stronger in one aspect is weakened in another: a part given increased wear resistance will come at another cost, whether it's weight, fatigue life, dimension, etc.

It's important to understand what the application is, and why it's there. It's not semantics.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What wear does the P320 grip module experience that anodizing would help prevent?

Unlike Classic line SIG pistols whose slides ride on the aluminum (sometimes steel) frame rails, the P320s I’m familiar with have a stainless steel insert in the grip module. The insert (technically the frame) has four tabs that the slide engage and ride on. I have never noticed any contact or friction between the polymer grip module and the slide as it moves.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://www.anoplate.com/finishes/hardcoat-anodize/
quote:
How is Hardcoat Anodize different than other types of anodize?

Aluminum anodizing is typically referred to by its three types. Type I is chromic acid anodize (or chromic alternatives) which are very thin on the order of 0.0001” thick. Type II is the conventional sulfuric acid anodize which can be decoratively dyed nearly any color and results in a thickness of 0.0002 – 0.0006”. Hardcoat Anodize is Type III which is done under more exacting process conditions resulting in a harder, denser, thicker, and more abrasion resistant coating. Hardcoat thicknesses can vary from 0.0005 to 0.0030” and beyond but is dependent on the specific alloy being anodized.

Q

Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nice.

People who say “clip” rather than magazine need correction.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
People who say “clip” rather than magazine need correction.

Oh, please, it's the tired old crap.

Q