SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W model 57-1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 57-1 Login/Join 
posted
Any other .41 magnum fans?

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been known to shoot a 41 Magnum or two Smile

One day I will get the rest of them photographed

I fell in love with the 41 Magnum cartridge in 1980 when I helped a buddy of mine out with some cash for his divorce lawyer. At the time who knew how much money it was going to end up costing me

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never shot a 41 mag, but sure do enjoy those beautiful revolver pics!

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Sweet pistol. I had one that was magna ported.I killed a 300 lb hog with it.

quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
Any other .41 magnum fans?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I shot this N frame many years back with a friends fire wall hand loads. It can be very unpleasent with those beautiful square butts and cannon ammo. Its a great revolver.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My first new S&W was a nickel 6 inch 57. I now also have a 4 inch and did have a 58. It is an easy cartridge to reload and no need for magnum velocities to be effective.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mint Model 58. In a moment extreme stupid, I sold it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're a fan of the .41 Magnum then you might also appreciate its ever so slightly smaller cousin.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I don’t own one because I am a .44 Special guy. I did shoot my friends 4 inch model 57 and it was a handful with Remington 210gr. JSP loads. The 175gr. Silvertips were more comfortable but still powerful. I was bummed put when he traded it, it was a nice revolver.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I don’t own one because I am a .44 Special guy. I did shoot my friends 4 inch model 57 and it was a handful with Remington 210gr. JSP loads. The 175gr. Silvertips were more comfortable but still powerful. I was bummed put when he traded it, it was a nice revolver.

I agree on the Remington 210gr. We had a Gander Mountain close last year and they wanted $75 a box of 50rds. Right before they closed the doors I picked up a bunch at $22 a box. It's a pretty stout load through my 4". I've got an early 6" M57 that I haven't tried it in yet. Hoping the extra weight on that one will tame the recoil a tad.

At 100yds it sure puts those steel plates down with authority.

posted Hide Post
I remember when the .41 was introduced, and all the positive press it got. Even Bill Jordan liked it, if I remember right. I shoulda got one, but my one previous experience with an N-Frame was a 4" Highway Patrol that I didn't like.

It's a shame the .41's were not offered with 5" barrels. Actually, it's a shame that S&W didn't offer the 5" barrel on any of their "modern" N-Frames, other than some rare ones that probably came out of their custom shop.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sargespd
posted Hide Post
I was issued a model 657 in 1986.Carried it til 1991. One of my true regrets is that I could not afford to buy it from the department when we swapped for the Beretta92.:

I shave with Occam's razor

Posts: 3654 | Location: Springdale (Cincinnati) Ohio USA | Registered: January 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I was always smitten with the models 57 and 58. Great pics, keep them comin' please.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post