SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P228 KF, have some questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P228 KF, have some questions Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
Hey all. Long story short, when I got into LEO back in 2000, my old man bought me a German Proofed KF P228 TT from our local fun dealer. In 2010, dad's tumor took over and he went down so fast, my cousin and I ended up selling off most every weapon we owned to pay his bills. Last I parted with, was my P228.

Fast forward to last night. I had vowed to get another one similar. All I remember about the markings was mine was KF stamped, German proofed and started in B. Found one very similar. I ended up trading a P320 Compact RX and 50 dollars for it. I won the P320 in a local drawling, so I have exactly 100 dollars in this Sig.

Weapon came with a blue Sig box, One 13 round and one 10 round Mecgar mag. Also came with two piece grips from Hogue. Siglite NS are new and the manual does not appear to be original.

After a few hours of searching SF (thank you 12131 and all others for the wealth of info), the period correct manual will be the one from 1995, light blue vertical print. Box will be the great thinner plastic with foam.

Am I to assume the factory grips were not these Hogue? Original owner took what he said was the original NS off and replaced them. They are Sig, but dead. Is there any difference in the Sig P228 marked factory plastic grips?

Being its a 1995 model weapon, it should have shipped with two factory 10 round mags correct?

Since it's not 100% verified original, It will be a shooter and may be carried some. I just want to track down all of the period correct items for it if possible. If I am incorrect in any of my research on it, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help, and here are some pictures after some TLC and lube.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
- Original grips should be the plastic grips, not these Hogue rubber.
- Correct mags should be the 10-rd German dovetailed mags, unless the gun was LE gun originally. Then, they should be the German dovetailed 13-rd LE restricted mags. Mec-Gar mags were not present with SIGs during this era.
- Sights on yours appear to be Mepro. Original sights were Trijicon.

Just my opinion, but, yours does appear to be factory finish. Here is a 1995 (KF) factory TTNi P228 that I sold recently. It's one of the original guns shown in the "factoids" thread.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
- Original grips should be the plastic grips, not these Hogue rubber.
- Correct mags should be the 10-rd German dovetailed mags, unless the gun was LE gun originally. Then, they should be the German dovetailed 13-rd LE restricted mags. Mec-Gar mags were not present with SIGs during this era.
- Sights on yours appear to be Mepro. Original sights were Trijicon.

Just my opinion, but, yours does appear to be factory finish. Here is a 1995 (KF) factory TTNi P228 that I sold recently. It's one of the original guns shown in the "factoids" thread.

Thank you sir.

I ordered a set of grips, found the correct factory box. Still looking for the manual though. I'm sure one will come up soon.

Thank you for all those pictures. That will give me a good reference point on everything.

I agree with you on the finish. It looks identical to all other factory nickle Sig's I've seen.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the addition! Glad you found one and you will be using it. I'm sure your father is smiling.

Posts: 442 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
Congrats on the addition! Glad you found one and you will be using it. I'm sure your father is smiling.

Thank you. I went the range yesterday afternoon and put 200 down range with it. It’s a tac driver.

Found 2 period correct mags on the bay and a period correct manual on broker. Finding a set of P228 grips has been more of a challenge than I thought.

One thing is abundantly clear though. I miss my SRT of my M11A1. That will probably get changed too.

Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post