SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It’s always BS until it happens to you...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s always BS until it happens to you... Login/Join 
posted
I bought a Sig 365 in May of 2018 on the LE program and shot 600 trouble free rounds through it over the course of the year. I was at the range today when my co-worker wanted to try it. I give him the gun and the brand new 12 round mag full of 147 gr. Ranger. First trigger pull...click. Tap, rack. Click. I pick up the two rounds off the ground and no primer marks whatsoever. I always thought the brewhaha surrounding the Sig 365 firing pin breakage was much ado about nothing until my own pin snapped with 600 rounds through it. I’ll email Sig next week and see what they have to say. Disappointed to say the least since I really like the gun.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, that sucks. SIG will take care of you. But still, that's just ridiculous.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. I went through my second newer P365 and I had quite a quite a few feeding issues. I got rid of it for a 43X. Really liked the size and feel of the Sig, but couldn't carry it due to the functional issues.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any minute now the fan boys are gonna come in here defending the pos-365.. Sig really shit the bed with this gun and people are so blinded by brand loyalty that they don’t recognize it. Had this been a kel-Tec or Taurus everyone here would bash the hell out of this gun. It was a great idea with tons of potential, just not executed properly

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, has anyone done a check on bullet weight (length) loaded when the breakage happens? Seems many have been with 147gr (longer) bullets.

No brand loyalty for me, anyone who knows me knows I have a plethora of brands and models. I had a Glock 43, but I just didn't like the low round count. I have revolvers that carry more rounds. That's why I got rid of my 43.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm one of those 365 fanboys. 1400+ rounds through mine with no issues ... yet.

But, I haven't started carrying it yet. My 9mm Shield just "feels" better in the hand. And the funny thing is I'm more accurate with that damn 365.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I think it’s less about brand loyalty and more about how much they like the gun otherwise. It’s small but feels good in the hand, great round count, great trigger, accurate etc. for some reason the design is a great idea with issues. I bet if the gun was a tad bigger with a little more room for timing values it would be functional.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a gen 1 mpx a few years ago and Sig shipped it without a trigger. I thought someone was punking me.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it happened on the range. I think Nick is spot on. Its not brand loyalty as much as its people want to like it because it fits the hand great, its a great size it shoots great and that is enough to get some people to look past the problems or roll the dice. My biggest issue is that the failure can come out of nowhere and cripples the gun. Nothing you can do if your FP shears while someones shooting at you.

I hope they either have fixed them or will roll a fix out but I sold mine and have accepted a G26. Its a bit bigger but it goes bang and fits in a pocket if needed. If the issues disappear I'll reassess but I'm not sure I'd ever completely trust one.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Glad it happened on the range. I think Nick is spot on. Its not brand loyalty as much as its people want to like it because it fits the hand great, its a great size it shoots great and that is enough to get some people to look past the problems or roll the dice. My biggest issue is that the failure can come out of nowhere and cripples the gun. Nothing you can do if your FP shears while someones shooting at you.

I hope they either have fixed them or will roll a fix out but I sold mine and have accepted a G26. Its a bit bigger but it goes bang and fits in a pocket if needed. If the issues disappear I'll reassess but I'm not sure I'd ever completely trust one.

To the OP: was yours one of the guns with the original striker, or one with the revised design? My memory of when SIG was rolling out the revised striker last year is a bit fuzzy on exacts, but I seem to recall that it was right around late spring/early summer. Considering your buy timeframe, that P365 of yours could easily be one of the early ones with the original striker, and by now it's long been made plainly clear that that particular design was NOT a problem-free solution. SIG's own actions underscores that, because after all why on earth would SIG come up with a redesign if that original was "perfect"? Any presumption that all of that was simply a load of BS is by now not on SIG.

As for the gun itself: if SIG had chosen to use a forged/milled striker rather than a MIM part it's very likely most of this angst and abject uncertainty would have been avoided...at least for that problem. And perhaps a slightly larger form factor would've abated the trigger return spring conflict (and failures) with the magazine contact. As for the sporadic feeding/cycling problems that have been reported; I ALWAYS wonder if those are more on the shooter than the tool itself. After all, the P365 is one very small semi-auto 9mm pistola with more than a bit of lively bark that can catch those unaccustomed to snappish recoil unawares.

I've shot it on a couple of occasions and find it slightly better on recoil than my G43, but by no means would I classify it as a sedate and altogether pleasant gun to shoot. And I've seen, ahem, "less experienced" shooters make a functional mess out of the littlest 9mm Glock as well, so it's not beyond reason to assume that there's more than a few limp wristers out there crying wolf.

I await more reports on late 2018 build guns before I finally throw my hat in the P365 ring. Aside from the widely reported problems associated with the early builds, I freely admit that I like the little bugger. It shoots rather well, comes back to target quickly despite my Glock-infused muscle memory and there's no denying its relatively healthy firepower for its diminutive size. There IS at least one aftermarket striker available if it needs to come to that; I've certainly NOT been shy about modifying any of the Glocks that I rely upon, so why should a SIG be any different? And as long as no scratch marks show up on the magazines, I suppose that even the dead trigger problem will not be a concern as long as I remain watchful.

The way I see it, this really isn't all that much different than me keeping track of the usage rates of my EDC G23s, where changing out parts in a more than timely manner to better prevent breakages from happening when their least desired and most dire. Being mindful of the flaws and weaknesses of any gun design is what keeps that gun running without heartache. Sure, choosing a more proven design may make life easier and less stressful but it doesn't stop a mindful operator from the need to continue to keep a watchful eye on the condition of that firearm that may be called upon to save one's ass. Or to consider upgrading components so that the gun will be more reliable.

Dat'z howz Iz seez it. I'm not prepared to do the whole tossing the baby and the bath water thingy. YMMV.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I love 365 threads as they are always so entertaining.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LVJD:
I bought a gen 1 mpx a few years ago and Sig shipped it without a trigger. I thought someone was punking me.

I’d almost think that’s funny if it wasn’t for how much you spent on it and the brand name.
I ordered a tavor SAR but got an X95 instead. FFL took 150 bucks off the price and gave me a free mag to take it anyway. It worked out nicely

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Any minute now the fan boys are gonna come in here defending the pos-365.. Sig really shit the bed with this gun and people are so blinded by brand loyalty that they don’t recognize it. Had this been a kel-Tec or Taurus everyone here would bash the hell out of this gun. It was a great idea with tons of potential, just not executed properly

It's been interesting to read the evolution of hatred and support for the pistol.

Those who say that primer breakages and "dead triggers" occur only as internet lore and third-hand rumor seem to ignore the numerous posters who have recounted their own first-hand experiences right here on this site.

Those who express contempt for Sig and for the pistol are almost invariably those who have never owned one or shot one.

When I first read about the new pistol, I was curious, so sought one out. I found a P365 at a range, for rent, and shot it. I was impressed enough that I bought one. Another came up and I bought that, too. I did several initial range sessions of several hundred rounds each with it, then made sure to take it to the range no matter what else I was shooting, so it got shot regularly. A lot of factory ammunition, and a lot of my own reloads.

Given the numerous first-hand accounts I've viewed by owners who had failures, I'm inclined to take a reserved approach to carriage; I don't trust the pistol, though the P365 has given me no problems to date. I've graduated to carrying it in a pocket holster, but not as the sole carry. Mostly to get used to how it carries and experiment with it. It carries very well.

It's possible that problems will develop, and it's possible that I'll seek out the aftermarket strikers at some point, but thus far I haven't seen a failure or feed issue or other problem with the pistol. They're very easy to shoot well, certainly well enough for a defensive pistol, which is what they are (let's face it; the P365 isn't a long range silhouette gun). The sights are functional, it's been reliable, it's ergonomic, and it's very small. It's easy to control, and my sole complaint, more of an observation, is that the grip is small enough that the meat of the palm retains the magazine when dropped, requiring it to be extracted. Not a fault, really; it's just a small pistol.

Would I choose to go to war with this as my sole weapon? No. Of course not. Right now I won't choose to carry it as my sole weapon, either. But after measured, careful observation, I'm cautiously optimistic that with the experience to date, it's holding up well and has performed as advertised. I'm quite cognizant of other's troubles with the pistol, amused by those who deny the problems, and disappointed by those who fire a few token arounds and throw it in their pocket as though they've done due diligence.

None the less, the one who will pay the price if it doesn't work is me, and I'm not responsible for the decisions of others. Live and let live. For now, I'll continue to experiment with the P365, and my G43 is more than adequate for pocket carry in the meantime.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
But you had 600 flawless rounds! Big Grin

Sorry to hear this, sucks is an understatement.

Of course you will be branded a SIG-Hater, Glock-lover if you criticize the beloved P365!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have been more clear. I don’t have anything against Sig; I have a German two-tone 228 that I love. I love the Sig 365 too. There’s nothing that matches its features dollar for dollar in my opinion. I give everything a fair shake. I don’t immediately sell my car when something breaks on it or lose faith in its ability to haul me and my family. I’ll give Sig a fair shake as well; but similar to a factory-known defect in a car, Sig should have recalled all of the guns with the old style striker and made it right from the get go. I guess I’ll have to burn another 600 rounds plus some to make sure it gets fixed right.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
I'm curious, has anyone done a check on bullet weight (length) loaded when the breakage happens? Seems many have been with 147gr (longer) bullets.

Curious as to why a bullet on the heavier end of the 9mm spectrum would be a problem.
AOL for any 9mm rd has to fit into the same max parameters whether it's 100gr or 150.
Or are you thinking of some other physics at play?

(similar threads like these on all makes and models are why I don't buy a gun in the first year of it's introduction)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Man, that sucks. SIG will take care of you. But still, that's just ridiculous.

Sure Sig will fix his pistol under warranty but that is cold comfort. He would likely be dead if the striker broke when he was using the gun in defense of his life.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I don't even own one, nor would I consider buying one, but damn I enjoy reading a good 365 thread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:

Sure Sig will fix his pistol under warranty but that is cold comfort. He would likely be dead if the striker broke when he was using the gun in defense of his life.

Of course, the probability of getting into a gunfight AND the striker breaking at a critical time when you otherwise would have gotten off a decisive round are getting close to Powerball odds.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I don't even own one, nor would I consider buying one, but damn I enjoy reading a good 365 thread.

I feel somewhat comforted that I didn't spend too much money getting a SIG P365, even though I still think it could be the perfect replacement for my P938, which is a great gun, but I've had issues with it and don't trust it as my EDC.

Yet every time I try to find something along the same lines (Kimber Micro, Remington R-51) the assembled masses rise and say, "Prepare to be disappointed now."

As much as I hate saying it, much less thinking it, if the opportunity presents itself to try a Glock 43, I might just do so.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post