SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W M&P 2.0 review and range report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W M&P 2.0 review and range report Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
After having the gun for almost a week I finally made it to my local range with my new M&P 2.0.

The Good:
As with the 1.0 the grip angle and general feel of the gun is good. The new texture on the grip is a positive in my opinion. One of the employees at the range feels it's too aggressive and will be rough on your hand with prolonged shooting. Another stated it's the best off the market grip texture he's ever seen. I only had time for 80 rounds today, but had no negative reaction to the grip texture what so ever, and found maintaining my preferred grip position to be easier because of the stipple.

During the first 20-25 rounds I had a fair number of shell casing land on my arms, my initial thought was WTF, this is worse than a Glock. But during the later part of my session all the casing were flying well right of the gun. Even with crappy Freedom Munitions which won't even cycle three of my Glocks!

The trigger is a ton better than an off the shelf Glock trigger; but frankly not as good as the new Sig P320 trigger.

The accuracy was exactly what I would expect allowing me to reach my skill level of an inch to 1.5 inch hole at five yards (Medium paced firing) Extending out to 7 yards produced similar results, with just a very slight right bias.

I had zero failures of any kind, again including 30 rounds of Freedom munitions which fails to cycle my Glocks about 1/3 of the time.

Recoil seemed lighter than similar pistols, but to be honest I was concentrating more on accuracy and reliability than felt recoil.

The Bad:
As I mentioned, the first 20-25 rounds had a quite a few casing landing on my arms; and frankly I was getting a little upset. However, that seemed to resolve itself quickly.

Second, I'm not of fan of the new slide release lock that prevents the slide from coming home when you slam the magazine in. I personally liked the old way where an aggressive magazine insertion brought the gun to battery. YMMV. Would it make any difference in whether I recommend the gun or not, absolutely not.

Lastly, my personal opinion is that it's not the best looking handgun I've ever owned. It feels a little busy, but then again, it's a tool, not a beauty pageant. (And to admit the really weird I've come to like the look of the Glock)

My overall impression is the M&P 2.0 is a very solid entry into the world of handguns. I Love my Glocks but despite my best effort, including reading, practice and you tube video's I cannot seem to correct my significant left bias with a Glock. I've also fired the P320 FS and Compact on several occasions and while I like the trigger on the P320, for me the grip and the balance of the 320 somehow seems off.

My cost was $430 pretax.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: evolution,

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 2.0 in 45 its been flawless , grip feels great you get use to the texture . I think the trigger is better a little much on the take up yet . But for an update I think Smith did a bang up good job with it .If I had to carry the new 2.0 every day I would feel great about it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25" that I am testing does seem to be accurate, but the 6 pound-force trigger is a big limitation. Can not find out from Apex if 100-072 competition kit can be used in M2.0.
Have used the competition kit in a M&P 9L Pro CORE to end up with a good shooter. Has anyone fixed the trigger?

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good feedback, Thanks. I'm awaiting the V2 compact versions. I really like the size of the S&W compacts and in how it spans that of other brands Compact to FS, a tweener if you will. The approach and design of the Ergo's, while not HKesque, is well concieved and very functionally, not square.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I really like the aggressive texturing on the grip I wish others would head that direction. I haven't shot one but really want to. Smile

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Like! Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Nice report!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I put 50 rounds through a rental M&P 2.0 the other day. I quite enjoyed it.

Good accuracy, GREAT trigger, didn't mind the stippling at all.

I hate to say it, but I'll probably wind up getting one...

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
This months National Rifleman magazine features the new M&P 2.0.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to see the compact version. I don't understand what the gun manufacturers are thinking, the CC market is huge, they should introduce compact models right alongside the full size ones.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally made contact with a person at Apex: The 100-072 Competition kit is not recommended for the M2.0. I have to guess that something inside is just enough different between M1.0 and M2.0 for the Competition not to work as desired.

It was mentioned that development of something like a Competition kit is contemplated.

100-072 into a M1.0 9mm M&P 9L Pro CORE works well, but I recommend using the factory trigger (the piece that your trigger finger touches).
I guess I will wait on disposing of my 6 pound-force M2.0 in the hope that a fix will appear.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Finally made contact with a person at Apex: The 100-072 Competition kit is not recommended for the M2.0. I have to guess that something inside is just enough different between M1.0 and M2.0 for the Competition not to work as desired.

It was mentioned that development of something like a Competition kit is contemplated.

100-072 into a M1.0 9mm M&P 9L Pro CORE works well, but I recommend using the factory trigger (the piece that your trigger finger touches).
I guess I will wait on disposing of my 6 pound-force M2.0 in the hope that a fix will appear.

The 2.0 did away with the loop on the trigger bar. They have an extra part in the 2.0 (haven't had an armorers update so I don't know what they are calling it) that serves the same function as the loop. This is why the 2.0 isn't compatible with some of the parts.

I bought an older 9mm duty carry kit off the shelf at my local gun shop, and installed it. It works fine with the factory trigger bar, and I have not had an issue with it.

Scott and Randy won't waste time bringing 2.0 products to bear.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott and Randy won't waste time bringing 2.0 products to bear.

Do not understand what this indicates. Do you think that apex will not have a kit to lower trigger force to competition level because it is a waste of their time?

I need to look for loop and its equivalent. Thanks for the hint. Delighted that the "old" 100-062 kit worked in M2.0, but I expect it did not reduce the required trigger force by much.

Thanks for the continuing information. The 4.25" M2.0 has a good fit (four modules help), good enough sights, great accuracy from bench, but too stiff a trigger for competition.

Mac in Michigan

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They won't let any grass grow under their feet.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the clarification. I am encouraged by your belief that Apex will be prompt to craft a Competition kit for the M&P M2.0

You are a real asset to the group. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It's not my belief. Randy told me that they are working on it presently when I talked to him on the phone two Saturdays ago. Wink

www.opspectraining.com

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Great review Evo.

My range had free rentals when they first came out and my feelings were very similar. If this was the 1.0 gun, I may never have migrated away from it.

The only issue I had with the one I tried was that it took me a few rounds to get used to the articulating trigger again. However, once I dialed it in I found it to be an extremely accurate gun. I still think it might benefit from an Apex solid trigger.

I love the grip stipple, I've paid a hundred dollars or more to get that on a Glock and Smith gives it to you with the price of the gun.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post