SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone here still CC a Browning HiPower ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here still CC a Browning HiPower ? Login/Join 
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted
I've owned and carried a few over the years, but found myself carrying a HK, 1911 or Glock as the years passed.
But... I recently picked up a nice 1969 C Series, and I find that I'm really tempted to go back to carrying one.
The grip is no bigger than a G19, and the frame and slide are Much slimmer.

Does anyone here EDC one ?

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have a circa 1985 BHP that alternates with a 627 snubbie for CC carry purposes. The BHP goes into a IWB holster the 627 OWB. I use the 15 round MecGar mags. Great carry gun.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some issues with pre-Mk III BHPs feeding hollow points because of the feed ramp design, so you should really test it with carry ammo first. The safety on the Mk I and II also leaves a lot to be desired.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a BHP, but have always favored the older models with the ring hammer.

That BHP is just beautiful. Just the right amount of character, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mk3 that I carry from time to time, but even with its larger, ambidextrous safety it's tough to find during the draw movement. The early ones, like yours, have even smaller thumb safeties...if it's convenient, the gun is a good choice for a bigger, duty sized, carry piece. In my case, I use my non-firing thumb to disengage the safety...it's workable with my thumb-up grip technique.

Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would carry mine but it is a Belgium Hi Power that I had the late great Austin Behlert worked his magic. Great gun ... just too valuable to carry everyday.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
From time to time I carry my MKIII 357 Sig /40, you really need a good holster to distribute the weight, the size is not the problem.

As I've aged, even with a good holster, carrying a heavy pistol is not the same as when I was 30 years old.

However, that said, the design does lend to a discrete carry pistol. I installed the SFS system .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you like that SFS system? Assuming you installed it, would you do it again?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Once I got past the 3154 pixels wide pic, I see a very nice gun. Congrats on the acquisition. I have a 32" monitor running at 4k, and still had to scroll horizontally in full screen mode. Don Wiliams (ActionWorks), can do you some nice tune ups to that gun.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
How do you like that SFS system? Assuming you installed it, would you do it again?

It takes getting used to. I like it, but the main thing to overcome is re-safing the action. Its not complicated, but training to push the hammer down to safe, well, takes lots of pre-thought.

I installed mine, I purchased it on a special sale from the good folks at BHP Spring Solutions , I think for $99.

The SFS System does reduce the size while carrying just a little bit, no hammers to snag your clothes.

To the OP, I like your HP just as it is.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Don Wiliams (ActionWorks), can do you some nice tune ups to that gun.

Indeed and if you want he can do a lot more. He did this one for me this year:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830019724#6830019724

Another will be heading out to him in December.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every day. Right now it's a factory silver chrome model I picked up from a buddy. Great pistol.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes,occasionally. A gentlemen’s gun. Mine is a 1975 BHP.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Been thinking about getting one as a project. I like the later ones, say a Mk III. Then I'd put on Novaks, delete the right hand safety, put in a C&S ring hammer, remove the stupid mag safety and get a trigger job.

I carry Sig P-Series as a rule because I don't care for pistols with a safety on them, but the BHP is such a classic I'd like to have one as a range gun. Don't really care about its value as a collector piece. Something akin to this:

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The safety on the Mk I

There is no such thing as a MK I

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mark III HP has been my primary carry gun for going on 25 years now. Extremely reliable, plenty accurate, carries a good ammo load, and the most ergonomic pistol I have ever shot. It shoots like a full size pistol, but not nearly as heavy or bulky as my Colt Combat Commander.

The only things I have done to it are to remove the mag safety, install Craig Spegel grips, and paint the front sight day glow orange. Other than that, she’s good to go.

If you want more info on Hi Powers, check out Stephen Camp’s website (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com). Best source of info on HPs there is.

Mike

Posts: 117 | Location: Schererville, IN | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys !!
In test firing it has fed the Hornady 124 grain rounds without an issue, even with the humped ramp.
Pretty sure I'm going to start carrying her.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

In test firing it has fed the Hornady 124 grain rounds without an issue, even with the humped ramp.
Pretty sure I'm going to start carrying her.

Most folks have had few problems with HP and the humped ramp. I have a straight ramp on mine, but friends who have the older barrels advise to just go over the ramp lightly with Flit or a similar light polish.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I don't currently own a BHP, I've owned and carried a Mk III and, later, a Mk II. Good shooters and really enjoyable guns, both.

My only personal hang-up regarding carry had to do with spare magazines. Both the factory mags and the 15-round Mec-Gars that I preferred had really sharp rear corners on the mag base plates. I understand that, at one point, bases with a more rounded profile were available from an aftermarket provider, but it appeared to me that those had been unavailable for some time.

I can still see potentially re-acquiring a nice Mk III at some point. The new Nighthawk Custom offerings look great to me, too.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post