SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Leupold DeltaPoint Pro VS Trijicon SRO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro VS Trijicon SRO Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I have a G-19 and I just picked up a MOS complete slide, I have shot one with the Trijicon SRO and really liked it, but I have heard good things about the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro both with the 2.5 MOA dot.

Anyone have any experience with the Leupold or the Trijicon?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPP has been predictably low reliability optic due to battery contact issues, and has had motion sensor issues. Leopold has just completed an upgrade, apparently all new production are upgraded. Testers reported that problems have been fixed but there has not been a wide spread use of new optics. DPP is hard to get a backup iron sight for. It has a good window and best in industry access to battery compartment.

SRO has a better window and easier to get backup sights for. It shares a footprint with 2 other options. It may be more fragile and some have broke. Ive tens of thousands rounds through both DPP and SRO with much better experience with the latter.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
You should watch Sage Dynamics testing on those two options.

One of them was considered one of the top three optics you should consider. The other, not so much.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot both pretty extensively and of those two I would get the SRO. But in the end I've shot a pretty large number of rounds comparing the SRO to the RMR and the RMR is as fast and more durable, so I'm not a convert to the SRO>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In general it's RMR first with the other 2 far behind.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMR
Holosun 407/507/508
Aimpoint Acro (battery life is lame)
DPP
SRO
Everything else.

That's my current ranking. Durability is a potential issue on the SRO. The top load battery is nice, but Holosun is offering a side load. The DPP's switching is very disappointing to me.

The only reason I rank the Holosun offerings behind the RMR is snobbery. They are 95% of the sight at about 50-60% of the price.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not a clue on holosun and snobbery, etc. I'm coming up on 100K rounds with an RMR so I can say for sure that it is quite reliable. Not perfect but reliable. I am and so should everyone else simply refuse to buy a Chinese mfg. sight. Not related to the original question in any way. Maybe not the best place to post this and I'm sure para will let me know. But we simply have to stop. period.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Depends on the use. I have had no issues with my DPP, but what I don't like about it is that it's a TALL red dot, which means that I have to have a .405" front sight on my X5 Legion to co-witness while I can get away with lower sights for the RMR footprints.

However, if I have to carry one as an officer/operator/whatever where I can get thrown to the ground or have to grapple with someone, I'm going with the DPP over the SRO.

In a perfect world, the RMR v.3 with a top loading battery would be out and render this moot.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to the FastFire? Is it not up to snuff anymore?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
IME they are fine for 22LR Bullseye and other hobby uses, but no way I'd entertain it on a serious use (CCW / HD / etc) firearm and expect it to hold up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not sure that line was ever 'up to snuff'. I have no direct user experience with either FFII or FFIII, but they have been the reflex sights that our customers try to return the most. I think Beretta just needs to allow the engineers at Steiner the chance to shore up the product line and QC of their Burris division. Either that or just go with their Steiner brand and call it good enough.

Between the Leupold and SRO I'd favor Trijicon, even with the SRO's fragility. When it comes to their optics, electronics have never really been Leupold's strong point. We've had numerous failed electronics with their Firedot riflescopes, so much so that it's become something of a running joke. We stopped selling the earlier Deltapoints because of the failure complaints and unacceptable rate of returns. The DP Pro at least initially didn't seem all that much better. If Leupold really did revamp the Pro then maybe we might bring them back in again. But we've been burned before, so maybe not. However we've had zero qualms with carrying the RMR, especially the Type IIs. They just work, even if the sight window is kinda puny. Personally I suck it up, save and buy an RMR every time.

That being said, we've so far had no quality pushback with the Romeo reflex sights. The only annoyances cited have been related to their actual country of origin. The Holosun lines are about to enter into our inventory, so we'll see firsthand how well they do. As mentioned earlier, they'll probably have the same pushback issue with MIC as the SIG optics do.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I just recently put a Burris Fastfire III on my Glock 19.5 MOS and have been completely happy with it. Once I got the correct length screws for mounting to the MOS plate.

It is solid and works as it should, so far. It was easy to sight in and I really like the auto turn off after 8-9 hours. The top battery door is nice. I got it for sale for $150.

I will be issued a new duty pistol in the near future and I will put a Trijicon RMR on that for duty.

quote:

Tony.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've never mounted one on a slide-type pistol and only mount it on my Browning Buckmark and my scout rail on my M14's.

Neither of those situations run it through the stress of being mounted on an actual pistol slide.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
The SRO is not a duty rated optic. The DDP is. That should say enough about the durability of them.

I could see the SRO being a good MRDS for competition or a range weapon, but nothing I would ever carry on duty or concealed.

My issue with the DDP is it's height. That sucker is freggin yuge! You are going to have to get an extra high set of irons to co-witness. That could cause problems with holster fit. Not so much with kydex, but leather may.

I did a lot of research on MRDS's for almost a year before I jumped. I found a used RMR06 Type 1, bought a flicker plate with a hump and have never had any issues. I think I paid 340 for it about a year ago. Tpe 2's can be found for 450-475 all day. I think it's worth the extra money just for the piece of mind of knowing you arn't going to damage your optic or render it useless if you have to bang it off a hard object or God forbid, drop it on a hard surface.

I don't have any experience with Holosun yet, but if I was not going to choose an RMR, I would look at the 508K or even the 407 series.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I also shot the Trijicon RMR with the yellow triangle and it was horrible, you could barely see the triangle, and in bright light it just disappeared, I know they are bullet proof so I better try one with the red dot.

This will be just a range toy, and if it fits in my holster a carry piece if I like it?

Since I can just change out the slide for carry if I decide on that.

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. SRO wins mainly because of the goofy switchology of the DPP. SRO is big clear and a plus or minus button away from utopia.

However I got a DPP blemish and I could almost buy two for the price of the one SRO. If you get the dot to the right intensity, once shooting they are fairly equivalent to my eye. So for matches it’s a tossup. For real life it’s back to RMR.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course nobody has enough of these things to be a good indicator of reliability. I would hope that if the DPP is in wide use on the MHS contract Leupold would fix any issues. But in the interest of reporting my personal experience, I have 20+ RMR's, 4 SRO's and 1 DPP (which I got to match an M17). To date I have had 1 RMR fail (type 1) despite nearly 100k rounds in aggregate and lots of abuse. I have had 0 failures on the SRO, but I have not subjected them to abuse because it doesn't look good they will absorb it. and 1 failure on the DPP. yup lasted a couple of matches and that was that. Just my experience with no spin on it. For a range gun an SRO will be mint. For carry I'm staying with the RMR. I'm testing the acro but not enough experience to comment.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm testing the acro but not enough experience to comment.

What are your thoughts on it so far?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have run a 5 MOA SRO and a Delta Point on a G34, a Walther Q5, and on a Smith 929 (ICORE Open Division gun). The SRO is hands-down my favorite. It has a huge window with a crisp and bright dot, and mounts with the same plates as the RMR. The DP now has duty as the offset optic on a PCC while Q5 & 929 both are equipped with an SRO. There are lots of red dots available and I can't say the SRO is the best or best for the money, but it is my favorite. I have also used, and still occasionally run a gun fitted with an RMR, Viper, and my second all time fave, the C-More RTS.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post