SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What grips for 3" Smith 66?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What grips for 3" Smith 66? Login/Join 
AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted
I managed to snag a Smith model 66 3" a while back. It has a set of Pachmeyer Compac Professional grips on it at the moment. It's such a nice looking wheel gun, I feel like it ought to have a more aesthetic set of stocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike Smith/AAC

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VZ Grips

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Curious what generation it is.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craig Siegel

http://craigspegel.com/

Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Ahrend's grips, especially those with the tung oil finish. Top Gun Supply often has them in stock. That's where I usually buy mine. Ordering directly from Ahrends will give you a lot more wood choices but there's a long wait.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...k-l-frame-grips.html

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugly as sin but I've got Pachmeyr K frame round butt compact grips on mine.
For me the perfect grip on a Smith snubbie.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would look good with an original set of RB service stocks.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spegel is always the correct answer.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The factory Combats work fine, but I agree...Those Spegels are Classy.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
mine came with the typical Smith round butt grips,
similar to a J frame grip

horrible to shoot with,

I found a pair of Eagle grips that worked well (similar to combats) and now have a pair of wood hogues, on it

looks kinda like these , only walnut
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...nEAQYAiABEgJGm_D_BwE

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Traditional

Modern VZ

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfest,

Not sure of the generation. The serial number is BBT0043.

Mike

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you pop open the cylinder, the model and generation are stamped on the frame, below the barrel.

Mine says 66-2.

As to grips, this 19 was in another thread, with factory Round-Butt target grips. They'd go great on yours, if you could find a pair:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
66-3

Mike

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

posted Hide Post
Agree with ‘bobandmikako’. Ahrends are nicest grips out there. Oiled. Reasonably priced. Got em on my 686. Boot grips or regular round butt. On 3 inch Barrel model 66. Maybe boot grips would be best way to go.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vidalia and Savannah Georgia | Registered: September 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For working grips, I like the rubber Hogue Mono Grips. Hogue also makes nice wood grips too.
I've drooled over some of the other brands mentioned.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spegel. Here they are on a L-frame.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the S&W factory combats on mine, and I am well pleased with them......just get braced for the price!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spegel... if you're willing to wait a year and a half.
Personally I prefer Ahrends stocks; in particular their "Retro Combat" models.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tooky13 has it right, a set of magnas and a Tyler T-Grip.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post