SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What grips for 3" Smith 66?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What grips for 3" Smith 66? Login/Join 
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentMike:
I managed to snag a Smith model 66 3" a while back. It has a set of Pachmeyer Compac Professional grips on it at the moment. It's such a nice looking wheel gun, I feel like it ought to have a more aesthetic set of stocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike Smith/AAC
I think the first thing we need to know is if you will be carrying/shooting this revolver to any great degree

My first thought for carry would be the Factory Combat grips from that era

They are getting harder to find (not to mention more expensive) but you would be era correct

Then there is always a set of fancy combats like on this F-comp

While these were supplied on this firearm, they are not manufactured by S&W. I believe that Altamont produced then for the Factory. They would be considerably less expensive than the factory grips above

Going aftermarket, I am quite fond of the Hogue wood grips. This 610 is wearing checkered Tulipwood

Hogue has many woods to choose from. Kingwood also looks great but I do not have that revolver photographed yet

If the gun is for ocassional shooting and more for displaying, there is the option of a set of factory round butt presentation grips like on this 686 snubby

Not overly fancy and still factory correct for the era your revolver was manufactured in

If we are talking mostly to show of the revolver, there is always Ivory. Unfortunately thanks to Obama the prices have been climbing. However nicely grained and aging Ivory looks good. I know this is not a K-frame, but it is one of the few revolvers I have Ivory on

There are more modern choices like G10, Corian and others. However they would not be close to being period correct for that 3" Model 66

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Get some "Exhibition Grade" stocks from Herrett's! You'll never regret it! Yes, they make them for Colt's too!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Here's what I put on one of mine...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Altamont Service grips $48

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentMike: It's such a nice looking wheel gun, I feel like it ought to have a more aesthetic set of stocks.

I like the Spegels. These are on an L-Frame but the same size as your K-Frame.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VZ Grips

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Esmeralda makes nice boot grips. Lots of choices of exotic woods and some nice Celtic designs. I have a couple sets and fit and finish are excellent.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I took the Pachmeyr off and replaced with VZ black and grey. Incredible grip and feels great to me.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those grips look amazing!!

quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Get some "Exhibition Grade" stocks from Herrett's! You'll never regret it! Yes, they make them for Colt's too!

Posts: 2055 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big_gun_man:
Those grips look amazing!!

Thanks! It looks like I'm going to have to order a new set of grips for a S&W 3" too. I just picked up this 1996 vintage Model 696 .44 Special and the grips are obviously not original to the gun. I'll probably go with another set from Herrett's to dress it up with.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Fond of my smooth Nill-Griffe walnut scales. Feel perfect in hand.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Fond of my smooth Nill-Griffe walnut scales. Feel perfect in hand.

Textured Nill-Griffe grips are nice too!

AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
Really liking the look of the grey/black VZ's on the stainless guns.

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have Kim Ahrends' round butt finger groove grips on mine. They are slab sawn cocobolo, so the grain is a little pimp, but I like them. They feel good

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the Houge grips are nice and can be had at bargain prices on the Houge auction website.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I like the factory wood combats for shooting, and a set of Grashorn's for Sunday dinners.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those look nice!

Mike

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on my S&W 327. After shooting with the factory pretty looking wood grips, my hand hurt for a week. I was shooting 357 mag rounds.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post