SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 Style Commander in 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Style Commander in 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering scratching the itch by getting a 1911 style pistol in 9mm. I like the 1911 platform and already own 4 such pistols in .45 caliber. Any issues I need to watch out for? My budget tops out at about $1,500 so I would also entertain other's experiences with different makes.

Thanks,

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention the makes of your existing .45 caliber 1911 pistols, so not sure regarding your existing frame of reference or experience between the different lines. But, it is hard to beat the value when it comes to Dan Wesson. I picked up a lightly used 9mm Guardian two years ago and have been very happy with it. I then bought a new DW Pointman 38 (.38 Super), which is full size and very nice as well, but I honestly prefer the Guardian.

I like the ramped barrel and fully support chamber in the DW pistols, and the barrel lock-up and slide-to-frame fit is as good as it gets, for a production 1911.

The Guardian would come in around the top of your target price. You may want to check it out.

Good luck.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Late last year, I was in the market for one and went for a Dan Wesson Valkyrie.

I had always wanted one and they experienced a pretty good price drop prior to being discontinued. With the exception of the grips (too thin for me) I'm quite happy with it.

I lucked out and got one for less than $1200 including shipping, CC fees, and transfer. They can still be found on GB listed at or around the $1200 mark.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Kimber Aegis Pro ll in 9mm a few years ago, and could not be more pleased with it. I own quite a few 9mm handguns, but this one ranks right up at the top area.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I bought a new production Colt Commander in 9mm back in 2016. It dislikes hornady ftx ammo as the polymer tip would cause misfeeds. Any standard 115 or 124 fmj, remington 124jhp and sellier & bellot 124 jsp works 100% in the standard 9 round magazines. The 135 gr. Hornady truncated cone fmj is especially accurate in that pistol.

My interest has shifted back to .45acp but I am gald I still have the 9mm Commander. Recoil is mild and in my later years this may prove to be critical.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson are pretty good 9mm 1911. But if you want to stretch your budget a bit, check our Gun Crafter Industries.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I came across a 9mm Dan Wesson Valor, see below, about 6 months ago, for a good price, and couldn’t pass it up. What a great shooting pistol, I couldn’t be happier with it. It was my first DW and have since picked up two more, another Valor in .45 and Bruin in .45. They’re all terrific. They compare very favorably to my Ed Browns and Wilson Combats, at a fraction of the price.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I will throw in my recommendation for Dan Wesson as well. I have had a bunch. They are well made and VERY accurate! For a carry gun I like the CCO style (Officer's grip length) over the bobtail. For the range I would go with a standard Commander.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both the DW PM9 and the Guardian in 9mm. Both are accurate. Guardians have been around $1000 used.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
At around $1500 I'd recommend a Dan Wesson too.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with the DW, I have a few myself but what about an STI? Val over at Sportmans Loft (The Attic) was selling them cheap since STI is no longer in the single stack game. I was able to pick up a Duty One 1911 9mm for $875 shipped. Not sure if they have anymore but if your interested might be worth a call to check inventory.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I love my Springfield EMP’s.

It was designed for/around the 9mm

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Springfield EMP is just an outstanding firearm, and ditto for CC.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger SR1911 in 9mm and am very impressed with it. However not so much with the Ruger 9mm Magazines because the feed lips are just a bit too short and the result is issues with double feeds. Currently I have 7 of the Wilson Combat 9mm magazines and have not had one single failure using these magazines. BTW, I load my own so sending 150 rounds down range each time at the range is typical. Accuracy is probably in the range of 2 to 4 inch at 25 yards but I practice for Defense style shooting at a .25-.3 second split time so I'm not at all disappointed with this level of accuracy.

One thing that has been very surprising is the durability of whatever Ruger uses to color the aluminum frame. Sig could really learn something from Ruger in this aspect. Because with well over 2500 rounds downrange it still requires the use of a good set of magnifiers on a perfect clean frame to see any hint of wear on the frame rails and all that is visible is a very slight hint of polishing in the contact areas. Quite simply not one tiny hint of aluminum showing. Very unlike what I've seen with Sig's "Nitron" finish, that rubs off the frame so aluminum is visible within the first 400 rounds downrange. BTW, I use RIG grease to lube all of my pistols.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Colt Commander in 9mm with Wilson Mags. Put the other $550-600 into ammo and have a blast. They are great guns and recent years have seen some of the best coming out of Hartford in a long time.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
My Springfield EMP is just an outstanding firearm, and ditto for CC.

Same here. I've never had a hiccup, it eats all types of ammo, and is scary accurate.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Colt
STI
DW/CZ
EMP

I own the first two in 9mm, own the third one in .45 and the fourth one I can only recommend through reputation.

DW is ok for me. One of my DW’s is a laser. The other one shoots left in a pronounced way....I suspect a bad barrel lockup as different bushings don’t alter impact in any significant way. It’s reliable but it doesn’t shoot to POA without drifting the sights rather dramatically. So, I am mixed on DW.

In any event, 9mm and Super 38 is a hoot to shoot in the 1911 platform.

Have fun !

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I have the Ruger SR1911 in 9mm and am very impressed with it. However not so much with the Ruger 9mm Magazines because the feed lips are just a bit too short and the result is issues with double feeds. Currently I have 7 of the Wilson Combat 9mm magazines and have not had one single failure using these magazines. BTW, I load my own so sending 150 rounds down range each time at the range is typical. Accuracy is probably in the range of 2 to 4 inch at 25 yards but I practice for Defense style shooting at a .25-.3 second split time so I'm not at all disappointed with this level of accuracy.

One thing that has been very surprising is the durability of whatever Ruger uses to color the aluminum frame. Sig could really learn something from Ruger in this aspect. Because with well over 2500 rounds downrange it still requires the use of a good set of magnifiers on a perfect clean frame to see any hint of wear on the frame rails and all that is visible is a very slight hint of polishing in the contact areas. Quite simply not one tiny hint of aluminum showing. Very unlike what I've seen with Sig's "Nitron" finish, that rubs off the frame so aluminum is visible within the first 400 rounds downrange. BTW, I use RIG grease to lube all of my pistols.

^^^ This. So far I too have nothing but good things to say about the Ruger, although I have not experienced any sign of feeding issues. I have however swapped out the barrel bushing/spring holder for the custom size one from EGW and that tightened up the barrel play noticeably. Great price too.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger Commander package. It is my second non-Colt 1911 and it is the equal of any of my Colts. Got it from one the CDNN "company auctions", put in a silly low bid, and got it from my FFL for a total of $605. Green alloy frame with the G-10 grips. Shoots POA/POI dead on at 25 yards. It is in .45 ACP as I see no sense in carrying a 45 size weapon in 9mm-no offense to anyone who does so-just MHO. BTW the only other non Colt 1911 is the Remington R-1; worked right out of the box and has not bobbeled yet, I actually like it, bought it because of price point and it is going nowhere except to the range with me.
Somewhere I keep hearing a voice saying "you need a 9mm Commander", maybe this summer. Get some slim grips and have same manual of arms as my other carry guns.................

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post