SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ? converting a 9mm P239 to 357 sig?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? converting a 9mm P239 to 357 sig? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
is this possible and if so what would I need?

I presume a barrel, recoil spring, and slide and of course 40/357 mags... but will the 40/357 mags fit in the grip for the original 9mm p239. And are there other concerns?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tried it. The whole 9mm upper fit on my 357 frame.

The 9mm mags fit in the 357 frame, but, a little rattle.

The 357 mags won’t fit in the 9mm frame.

I’ve never tried firing it converted but, it seems the parts fit.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
but will the 40/357 mags fit in the grip for the original 9mm p239.

No can do.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You can caliber down, but not up. If you have a 40 or 357 sig you can step down to 9mm. You can't step up from a 9mm, espically in a single stack.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The .40 and .357s are slightly more beefed up, as I recall.

Some holsters for a 9mm won't fit a 40/357

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide is taller on the 40/357

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Looks like SGT 165 answered my question... that even if I changed out the slide and barrel on my 9mm the magazines won't fit in the grip.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you experts will still follow this thread a bit more....

So, my next question is if I bought a 40cal P239 what would I need to do to convert it to 357 Sig?

Seems there are a lot more 40 cals on GunBroker than 357s.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Hopefully you experts will still follow this thread a bit more....

So, my next question is if I bought a 40cal P239 what would I need to do to convert it to 357 Sig?

Seems there are a lot more 40 cals on GunBroker than 357s.

Barrel and mags. If I remember correctly the 239 uses dedicated .357 mags (whereas double stack Sigs use combo .357/.40 mags) due the geometry of the round. Some folks have reported feeding .357 from .40 mags without issue, but the vast majority recommend the purpose built .357 mags.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I used to have P239s in all three calibers. I used to have separate mags for .40 and .357SIG. Eventually, I sold off the .357 mags, once I found out the .40 mags worked just fine with both calibers.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing in places that the 40 and 357 mags are the same for the P239.... So, that is kind of confusing.... It would make sense in that the 357 is just a 40 cal cartridge necked down to 9mm.

side note: talk about putting the cart before the horse... I just bought four 357 Sig mags for the P239.... and don't have a gun for it.

Now I do have some 357 Sig ammo now since I picked up that P226 Legion today....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
P239 .40 mags will feed and function 357 SIG and .40. 357 SIG mags have a rib near the top to stabilize the .357 bullet that won’t allow a .40 to fit.

For range use, either is good. For absolute reliability, I carry dedicated 357 SIG mags.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I own a P239 in 357 SIG. I have shot with a 9mm barrel in my 357 slide, but eventually bought a 9mm slide. Works great either way.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Next Question:

Is the recoil spring the same for the 357 as the 40 caliber?

I'm thinking that if I bought a 40 cal P239 all I would need would be a 357 barrel?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes, the recoil spring is the same.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I keep seeing in places that the 40 and 357 mags are the same for the P239.... So, that is kind of confusing.... It would make sense in that the 357 is just a 40 cal cartridge necked down to 9mm.

side note: talk about putting the cart before the horse... I just bought four 357 Sig mags for the P239.... and don't have a gun for it.

Now I do have some 357 Sig ammo now since I picked up that P226 Legion today....

Let’s put that to rest once and for all. The P239 .40 and .357 magazines are two different things.

Since the pistol was discontinued by Sig the mags aren’t always available. They tend to come in in batches and both happen to be in stock and on sale at the moment.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...-round-magazine.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...-round-magazine.html

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post