SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are people dumping the P239?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are people dumping the P239? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
They are not dumping them because they are no longer made, they are dumping them because the f'n mags are $100 each.

In other words, people are dumping the P239 because they didn't buy enough mags while it was still in production. Wink

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Some people may dump the P239 because it will no longer be in production (except for one police contract), or because Sig-Sauer is not supporting it with parts or magazines, or because newer pistol designs with better capacity to size/weight ratios are now available on the market.

A quick look at the major auction site shows prices have not dropped off, however. But perhaps individual sales will move to lower price points as people make the decision to sell their P239s for any of the reasons mentioned above, or for other personal reasons.

The P239 is very reliable while smaller pistols are prone to be less reliable, whether because of their design, manufacture, intolerance of some ammo types, or problems inherent with shorter/faster actions.

And weight that is relatively greater (for a single-stack pistol) makes the P239 easier to shoot than many smaller/lighter handguns.

I think they'd be a bargain anywhere around $500 or below, if like-new or in excellent condition, but the lack of support by Sig-Sauer prevents me for shopping for another one.

Where we are now is a sad story -- because there is a place for a reliable, hammer-fired, all-metal, single-stack pistol that holds 10 rounds. The P239 is all of that except the 10 rounds, and we know Sig-Sauer could make that happen with some engineering of its grip-frame and magazines.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a Plus One kit my 9mm 239 is a ten round gun. FWIW.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
With a Plus One kit my 9mm 239 is a ten round gun. FWIW.

I've got a couple ten round magazines for my P239

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Good point on squeezing an extra round (with the +1 Galloway mag extension) or two (the Sig-Sauer 10 round mag) in the P239. (I've got some of the Galloway mag extensions, which are relatively new as far as I can tell, and they work well).

Hey, the P239 is pretty complete the way it is... but a few more rounds -- maybe 12 is a better number? -- would justify the size for some folks and make it more competitive -- maybe keep it in production. With the room in the grip, and the magic that Sig-Sauer conjured with the P365 magazine, I know they could turn have turned out a P239 2.0 with enough ammo capacity that it would still be on the market.

For the record, I'm keeping mine.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love everything about my P239; size, weight, reliability. C.T. Grips with Sig logo were available for a short while so added a set. Looks great! It works great for me but my needs are simple. Two guns that won't ever be for sale while I'm alive are my 239 & 228.

Posts: 99 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I keep finding P239 mags... randomly throughout my house, bags and gear storage spots. I thought I had 3 but I think I've found 8.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
Why would i ever dump my Sig P239 SAS that shoots 40s&w, .357sig and 9mm has laser grips Smile.

Got the same as yours with CT LASER grips next to my bed.

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
I am keeping my P239s. I have always liked it since I got my first one 20 years ago. I have plenty of mags for both. I have some spare parts and I'm not at all concerned that either will crap out on me.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumping my P239 ? ? ?

No, but I was tempted Mad

F**king SIG discontinues a gun AFTER it sells all its spare magazines?!?!?!?!?
ASSHOLES!

I'll keep the P239 . . . its just too sweet to part with.

But I'm not happy about what I have to pay for spare magazines now!

Assholes!

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
Dumping my P239 ? ? ?

No, but I was tempted Mad

F**king SIG discontinues a gun AFTER it sells all its spare magazines?!?!?!?!?
ASSHOLES!

I'll keep the P239 . . . its just too sweet to part with.

But I'm not happy about what I have to pay for spare magazines now!

Assholes!

It is unfortunate that Sig USA is dumping German made product line, like the P239 and P232 and particularly not importing Mastershop pistol.Sad!

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have no plans to get rid of my P239SAS. I carry it every day. This spring my son was looking for a summer carry gun. He did a side by side comparison of a new 225 and a new 239SAS and bought the 239.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1670 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2012 9mm variant in excellent condition with NS & 4 mags.Plan on installing the SRT kit when the parts arrive next week..

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
The 239 in any of the calibers 9/40/357. DA/SA or especially DAK will always be in my top 10 guns I've owned. For me it's "Just Right". Regardless of weight, size, rounds on tap etc... Are there lighter guns smaller guns and ones that hold more rounds... YUP... To each their own... Smile

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I never owned a P239, but I've sold two 9mm P239's for friends. When they and the S&W 3913 were the only single stacks of that size they filled a niche (although I always liked the P225 better...a gun I regret selling).

I think the S&W Shield really made people looked at the P239 and say, "Why?"

That is what my two aforementioned friends did.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
No, I won't be selling my 239. I also won't be parting with the Hi Power or Python, if being out of production is the criteria for keeping a pistol.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigSauer just announced that Franklin County (OH) Sheriff's Office is adopting the P239 as well as the 226R and the M400. The announcement doesn't mention who is getting the 239's nor that the pistol has been discontinued.

We offered 239's to detectives at my agency, but most preferred the 226. We later offered 239's to those whose hand size made the 226 less than optimal.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I get and completely understand how both the G43 & S&W Shield have made some rethink the relevance of the P239. Personally, I prefer the ergos of the P239 and my ability to use it accurately and don’t think twice about AIWB carry with it.
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I never owned a P239, but I've sold two 9mm P239's for friends. When they and the S&W 3913 were the only single stacks of that size they filled a niche (although I always liked the P225 better...a gun I regret selling).

I think the S&W Shield really made people looked at the P239 and say, "Why?"

That is what my two aforementioned friends did.

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m Slightly amazed at the number of poor business men on this board. Or at least the number of people that want SIG to be poor business men.

The 239 has NEVER been a hot seller. Agencies who do not understand the DA/SA pistol issued them as a solution for small officers. Along the same lines of those who INSIST on installing short reach triggers on pistols for smaller officers, despite the fact that it kills their ability to shoot the gun well.

I keep reading the hysteria about $100 magazines. Then I look at the purchase history on GB and find only a few mags that sold for that price with the vast majority selling in the $40 range. (Been a month since I checked) My LGS has 10 or so used mags. $35 each. No one is beating down their doors to buy them at that “bargain” price. You’d think that if the demand was there, someone local would buy them and flip them for $100. Nope. I go through their used mag bin every couple of weeks looking for 229 and 2022 bargains and they are still there.

239 supply and demand wasn’t an issue until the internet decided it would panic and now its a big deal. Without the hysteria, demand would be the “meh” it always has been.

If the true demand would be there, we would see the capitalistic aftermarket stepping up to collect those dollars. Fact of the matter is there is no profit in by the word internet outrage in a market that was tiny to begin with. This whole $100 a magazine thing is completely driven by hysteria that people “have to get ‘Em” before they are gone and not by actually organic demand.

Did SIG pull a dick move for cutting off support? If they did, yes. I’m just not convinced that they don’t produce a lot and haven’t for a while and up till now it hasn’t been an issue because the false demand wasn’t there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The P239 had been a SLUG of a seller for us during my time working at the shop. Only the 9mm version moved with any kind of velocity, and that was still only at a snail's pace rate of perhaps one per eight months. We stopped bringing them in on a regular basis...and no one noticed. Even some of my coworkers didn't realize we no longer had them as a stocking item. Other single stacks like the S&W Shield and later SS poly 9mms ruled; the price difference was too much to ignore for our clientele. When the P225A/A1 came along, it sold well initially due to the novelty of a new 'classic' SIG but even that one started choking pretty quickly. Now we rarely bring them in just like we were doing with the P239 at its end. We don't need any further display case ballast to hold the fixture down to the floor.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post