SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations: Large Gun Cleaning mat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations: Large Gun Cleaning mat Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Looking to replace what I have which was pretty basic and two small mats together.

I'm looking for recommendations for a high quality mat that is as large as possible to cover as much of the table I'm using.

What do you use and how satisfied are you?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m more for ‘repurposing’, something around the house that previously served it’s purpose. The latest as a ‘mat’ is a padded desk mat of some sort. It’s fairly large, but not as big as you may be looking for.

You could see what mail order offers, Midway & others seems to have some. I also think you could go to a craft store or similar & get material of the size your looking for.

I would think there are an endless selection of rubberized mat type materials out there. Even if it wasn’t impervious to solvents, they are easily replaceable.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Maybe even an auto parts store perhaps. Wasn't thinking in that vein.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can get rubber mats for relatively cheap from a variety of places. Cut it down to whatever dimensions you need. They're sold as gym weight mats, garage mats, horse stall mats, etc.

Just understand that some gun cleaning solvents may start to break down some of these rubber mats. But as sourdough stated, even if you have to replace them every few years, it's cheap and easy to do.

Posts: 32504 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Patriot Patch Company have some that are pretty big.

https://patriotpatch.co/collec...custom-cleaning-mats

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Real Avid has two or three different cleaning mats, some have a magnetic area for parts. Highly recommended, looks like some are out of stock though

https://www.realavid.com/produ...tegory/gun-cleaning/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw someone using a cheap yoga mat. Seemed to hold up pretty well for a while. So cheap that if your ruined it, it was cheap to toss and repurchase.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Classic Firearms has a 25x42-inch Tekmat (Color AR-15 print) on sale for $16.99 today.

https://www.classicfirearms.co...&utm_content=Primary

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I've always used for my cleaning/repair mat is the large squares of commercial glue down carpet. The kind that if you have a tear or worn spot you just replace the square. Use several if you want to cover a large area

Posts: 264 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
In one of my auto tech classes in college, the shop desks were lined with what looks to be linen/canvas micarta.
I would think a sheet of similar formica would work well for wear and chemicals.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another yoga mat recommendation. it just the size of the work bench in my garage.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Depot/Lowes sells a roll of rubber mat.
Usually for lining the bottom of tool box drawers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ze...olid-91170/313862722

Or a yoga mat!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Real Avid has two or three different cleaning mats, some have a magnetic area for parts. Highly recommended, looks like some are out of stock though

https://www.realavid.com/produ...tegory/gun-cleaning/

I love mine. Rolls up nicely.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas and recommendations.

posted Hide Post
The Real Avid AR mats are quite nice. Had a couple of different ones come through our inventory; wanted to get one myself but naturally I forgot about it and the customers beat me to them. Maybe next time.

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cross TAC makes a few that I have been considering: Cross TAC Cleaning mats

I like that they will hold small parts with magnets and/or stay in place on a metal surface like a truck bed, hood or metal table.

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppes used to make a rifle cleaning mat. Soft felt with plastic on the bottom. I roll it up and store it in the closet when not in use. EMDOM makes what they call a military kit matt, it's nylon and has pockets for cleaning supplies. I've used one for deployment.

Link

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve just got a basic green felt mat. I wanna say it has a rubberized bottom to prevent slipping. Dunno if it was Hoppes or Remington or generic something. Been using it for...decades? Only issue is gotta be careful with the bristle wire bore brushes; they snag. If I had a dedicated workshop area for it, I might buy a rubber mat with a lip all around and a built in magnet.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I like my Otis cleaning mat.

Big enough for my AR's.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3476 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use grypmats. They're silicon rubber, flexible, with compartments; they don't slide, they're not affected by most chemicals, they're orange and green and make it harder to lose parts, and they conform to a surface.

https://www.grypmat.com

If I'm changing parts, I can separate the parts into different compartments, or put small parts in one spot. If a bottle of cleaner gets knocked over, it's contained because of the raised edges.

I use these a lot for aviation maintenance applications, where I may not be working on a flat surface, and I can't risk losing parts or tools rolling away or slipping. They're great.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post