SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    GP-100 misfire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GP-100 misfire Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I was out shooting my GP-100 today, and in the middle of a cylinder, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I pulled the trigger again, and the next round fired. After all 6 went around, I looked at the unfired round, and there was no mark on the primer, meaning the firing pin never made contact. Any ideas what could have happened? I bought this gun new last year, and have only put about 50 rounds through it. Today was my second range trip with it.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid to late 1980s I bought a S&W 686 6" in 357. It had one chamber that would not fire 357 Winchester factory ammo much of the time. The odd thing is it would fire Federal and Remington factory ammo and my handloads all the time. Turned out to be thinner case rims and hard primers on Winchester ammo along with runout on the cylinder face where the rim seated. That chamber that I had marked with permanent marker was the lowest area of the runout.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Did you check the case rim around the primer for any (even VERY faint) signs that the firing pin may have struck the case rim instead of the primer, indicating an out-of-time condition?

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Did you check the case rim around the primer for any (even VERY faint) signs that the firing pin may have struck the case rim instead of the primer, indicating an out-of-time condition?

I didn't - but that's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have the case anymore.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to checking for those marks- what type of ammo was it? Brand? Version?

Not a reload, is it?

I'd mark that cylinder with a sharpie, and try another box or two, and see if you can duplicate the issue- with the same ammo.

If you do, verify if it is the same chamber or not.

Get a fix on if it is the same chamber, and then, after duplicating it, try another brand of .357 ammo in it to see if you get the same thing with other ammo.

After you have this data- contact Ruger to proceed from there.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Positive you didn't short-stroke the trigger?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
In addition to checking for those marks- what type of ammo was it? Brand? Version?

Not a reload, is it?

I'd mark that cylinder with a sharpie, and try another box or two, and see if you can duplicate the issue- with the same ammo.

If you do, verify if it is the same chamber or not.

Get a fix on if it is the same chamber, and then, after duplicating it, try another brand of .357 ammo in it to see if you get the same thing with other ammo.

After you have this data- contact Ruger to proceed from there.

I was uSing factory Blazer Brass 158gr 357 Magnum ammo. No reloads.

I indicated earlier that I didn't save the brass - but then I remembered I did. I looked carefully at each case, and didn't see any indication of a firing pin hit on any of the cases outside the primer.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
Positive you didn't short-stroke the trigger?

I always thought short-stroking meant locking up the trigger so it wouldn't rotate the cylinder. Then I read more about it today and learned that one other outcome could be skipping a chamber. I suppose that could be what happened to me. I'm curious, though, how that could happen?

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ