SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Email from Sig re settlement of 320 suits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Email from Sig re settlement of 320 suits Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
“Dear Valued Customer,

Although plaintiffs have not proven their claims, SIG SAUER has reached an agreement to resolve a class action lawsuit alleging that P320 pistols manufactured prior to August 8, 2017, have the ability to fire when the pistol’s slide and barrel are in an unlocked condition. The plaintiffs in this lawsuit claim that the inclusion of a mechanical disconnector in the design of the P320 pistol after August 8, 2017, a feature which is also included in the free Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP) provided to all owners of P320 pistols manufactured prior to August 8, 2017, prevents the P320 pistol from firing in this condition.

SIG SAUER denies plaintiffs’ claims. By entering into this agreement, SIG SAUER is not admitting that any of plaintiffs’ allegations have merit, and plaintiffs have not proven their claims. In fact, it is SIG SAUER’s position that the design of the P320 pistol – both pre-upgrade and post-upgrade – prevents the P320 pistol from firing in an unlocked condition. SIG SAUER has conducted extensive testing of both the pre-upgrade and post-upgrade P320 pistols to confirm its position that the pistol will not fire with the slide and barrel in an unlocked condition.

In late 2017, SIG SAUER implemented an upgraded design of the P320 pistol to enhance the safety and performance of its P320 model pistol. All P320 owners who purchased a pistol prior to the design change are able to have their P320 pistols upgraded through the P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP). The upgraded design and implementation of the VUP was designed to further enhance the drop safety of the P320 model pistol. Although the P320 pistol met and exceeded all U.S. safety standards, it was discovered during additional testing beyond those standards that in some cases, under very specific conditions, the P320 pistol could discharge if dropped at a specific angle. Additionally, as part of this design upgrade, a mechanical disconnector was added to the P320 pistol to enhance trigger feel and consistency, as well as to prevent a “dead trigger” condition when the trigger has been pulled with the slide retracted. Although this disconnector serves as a redundant safety against the pistol firing in an unlocked condition, it is not its primary function and is not necessary to prevent such occurrences.

The SIG SAUER P320 pistol continues to meet and exceed all industry safety standards, and it is safe to carry and use in both the pre- and post-upgrade versions, when handled in accordance with the operator’s manual. However, to avoid the uncertainty and high costs of further litigation, SIG SAUER has reached an agreement to resolve this case. The forms attached below describe the rights which current and past P320 pistol owners may have under the terms of this agreement. If this agreement is finally approved by the court, these individuals may be entitled to certain benefits, including continued availability of the P320 VUP free of charge, a lifetime warranty against specific kinds of damage to the firearms, and a potential refund of amounts previously charged to repair firearms or replacement of unrepairable pistols. Please review these documents carefully to determine whether you may be eligible to submit a claim for such benefits.

NOTE: IF YOU CURRENTLY OWN A P320 PISTOL THAT WAS MANUFACTURED PRIOR TO AUGUST 8, 2017, AND WHICH HAS NOT GONE THROUGH THE VOLUNTARY UPGRADE PROGRAM, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM TO HAVE AN UPGRADE PERFORMED. SIG SAUER ENCOURAGES YOU TO VISIT THE VOLUNTARY UPGRADE PAGE TO DETERMINE WHETHER YOUR FIREARM IS ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE, AND TO INITIATE THE UPGRADE PROCESS.“

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of jackasses. Everyone knows the gun was not drop safe and they issue that as a PR statement? Why take such an absurd position?

Their statement makes them seem tone deaf to me.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I just received that also. I laughed. I also thought it funny they sent it on a Sunday.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah that is bad.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"There is nothing to see here, the pistols were fine but we fixed them all for free because our owners don't like money.

We didn't learn anything about them not being drop safe in the military trials, it was just an upgrade.

We paid this settlement just to be nice to the lying plaintiffs. We required an NDA because we value the truth.

Thank you come again tomorrow."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Rhino, your part about “we didn’t learn anything” is spot on. Their statement makes it seem like they’ll do it again. Just a ridiculous statement. Whoever approved that should all get their asses kicked to the curb.

I so want to love Sig again, but they just keep giving me reasons to hate them. I wish their engineering/R&D group could all leave and go to some other company for me to support. That’s the only part of Sig that even keeps me paying attention. The marketing department needs to be nuked.

posted Hide Post
Kudos to the marketing and legal department. This is not their first misstep. The redesign of their website sometime back was frustrating as well. At least we do not yet have tight yoga pants and a grip zone.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine wasn't in the recall , but just for spits and giggles I stuck a primered case with rubber bullet in it and dropped it 10 times from 3' to 24' and all it got was a little dinged by the coco doormat.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
What a bunch of jackasses. Everyone knows the gun was not drop safe and they issue that as a PR statement? Why take such an absurd position?

Their statement makes them seem tone deaf to me.

That's not the claim to which Sig Sauer is responding in the email.

The condition is firing out of battery, as noted in the first paragraph ("the ability to fire when the pistol’s slide and barrel are in an unlocked condition").

If testing the "drop safe" condition, there's no need to put a rubber bullet in the pistol; in fact it's unwise. Really unwise. Just put the primered case in there and if the pistol discharges it will tell you all you need to know.

There's no question, none, that the P320's could be made to fire by dropping the pistol at a certain angle, or by tapping the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet, prior to the "voluntary upgrade" (read: recall-that-we-won't-admit-is-a-recall).

That's not really the issue here: firing out of battery is, and I have several P320's that will go click before returning full forward and locked up. None of mine have proven troublesome in any way and I haven't had any out of battery discharges. Further, I can't say that they'll actually fire out of battery, though I can get them to click before returning the slide fully forward; they could still be locked at that point, and the argument would be that the disconnector provides discharge, I imagine. Considering I only use the P320's for firing under a timer, going fast, it's reasonable that if indeed they fire out of battery, sooner or later one will (or would have) popped, given that I do tend to overrun my skill level on occasion. If it's gonna go boom, it would have, or will, inevitably. I don't think it will; I'm not concerned. Neither is Sig, apparently, and they're not admitting it in the letter, though they're settling with the person suing.

Read the letter. It's not about drop safety. It's about firing out of battery. By defnition, when dropped and hammered from the rear of the slide, it IS in battery. Big difference.

I'm not happy with the way Sig went about it a few years ago, but I'm very happy with my P320's. Very happy. Water under the bridge.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Ah my bad. Thanks for clarifying which suit they were referring to. Doesn’t change anything imo. Still a redicilous statement to make after settling a lawsuit.

posted Hide Post
A lot of law suits are settled by parties that aren't guilty of anything; they settle because it's cheaper than fighting.

I can't speak to whether Sig is right or wrong about firing out of battery other than my own experience (haven't seen it in the P320). Whereas they settled, rather than took the matter to a conclusion, it may behoove Sig to state for the record that they're settling, but not admitting fault, as that's the legal arrangement of the matter.

To me, the P320 is a well designed pistol that's got a lot going for it. While it might be possible that it does fire out of battery, or in an unlocked state, it certainly hasn't been established here, and the matter has reached a settlement without establishing that the P320 fires when unlocked. Some might choose to see Sig as tacitly admitting fault by settling, but that would be an over reach.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Jones and others have seen / heard about the OOB shit.

Considering how SIG kept the drop safe stuff under wraps, they have zero cred with me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a W-320 L/E package , that I E mailed Sig about and also called them 3 times gave the serial number put on hold again we will get to you never herd a thing , its a W320 Pre Tension barrel and slide and its a very good shooter . I put a new lite striker, and thin type trigger in it and called it a day, never a problem and never got a Email from Sig or anything . I was on this the week it was out about it . my slide is a little different from the new ones that bar on the bottom of slide goes from back to breach face my newer ones are half that ???

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Between lawyers and bean counters... who knows...

All I know is my late model P320 is the most accurate pistol I own and it has never failed me.... then again, I've never dropped it or hit it with a hammer....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I have a W-320 L/E package , that I E mailed Sig about and also called them 3 times gave the serial number put on hold again we will get to you never herd a thing , its a W320 Pre Tension barrel and slide and its a very good shooter . I put a new lite striker, and thin type trigger in it and called it a day, never a problem and never got a Email from Sig or anything . I was on this the week it was out about it . my slide is a little different from the new ones that bar on the bottom of slide goes from back to breach face my newer ones are half that ???

Call Sig. The "upgrade" is free.

The change is more than a lighter trigger.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Holy moly, how many times do people have to be tinkled on by these shysters before they get a clue and stop giving them money? Is this the first time they are “addressing” that there was an OOB issue?

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, the result of the settlement is that people can have their pistols upgraded through the upgrade program that they were already doing for everyone who wanted it? That’s a hard hitting remedy will teach Sig not to mess up again!

Lawyers got rich.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
So, the result of the settlement is that people can have their pistols upgraded through the upgrade program that they were already doing for everyone who wanted it? That’s a hard hitting remedy will teach Sig not to mess up again!

Lawyers got rich.

That's not actually what it says, at all.

posted Hide Post
We won, they lied, but here's some money anyway. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to blame subordinate lawyers / accountants for a corporate action without condemning the governing CEO as wholly impotent.

Blame the decision maker if you feel blame is warranted. Don’t blame the advisors to the decision maker.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FHHM213,

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post