SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 229 or 229-1 mags are these?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 229 or 229-1 mags are these? Login/Join 
posted
I bought three of these mags (on the right in the pictures) for my 229 Legion recently. When they arrived, I noticed that the box sticker didn't match the other box that I recently bought from CDNN (thanks again, Q!). The phosphated mags on the left are the correct ones from CDNN. The ones in question are stamped Sig Sauer on one side, and Mec-Gar Made In Italy on the other side, but no "229-1" like the mags from CDNN. They are approximately 1/16" narrower (.805 vs .86) than the 229-1 mags from CDNN, and seem a little sloppy in my magwell. Are these simply pre-2010 228/229 mags? Why were they in factory Sig brand boxes if they're stamped Mec-Gar?

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are P228/old P229 9mm mags and not the wider P229-1 mags, which is why they are not marked that way and why they are a little loose.

Actually, your new mags are stamped "SIG SAUER" as can plainly seen on the side because they are SIG "factory" mags. "Mec-Gar" is on the mag because they were/are one of the OEM manufacturers of SIG mags, including these. Sometimes "Mec-Gar" is also on the mags, but quite often there is only "Made in Italy" like on your P229-1 mag, which Mec-Gar also made.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The 15-rd mag on the right (Mec-Gar made, factory SIG branded), interestingly, is what came with the stainless frame P228s, although that frame takes the 229-1 mag.

Another useless factoid is that, the stainless frame P228 is the only P228 that comes with factory 15-rounders. All other P228s come with 13-rounders.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Color me befuddled. I thought Sig only offered 13 rounders for 228s/Older 229s? I knew that Mec-Gar offered 15 round flush fit mags for these guns (something about a different follower/spring/baseplate?); but you're saying these are actual Sig "factory" mags, and belong in these boxes, yet have 15 round capacity?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Color me befuddled. I thought Sig only offered 13 rounders for 228s/Older 229s? I knew that Mec-Gar offered 15 round flush fit mags for these guns (something about a different follower/spring/baseplate?); but you're saying these are actual Sig "factory" mags, and belong in these boxes, yet have 15 round capacity?

Yes, the stainless frame P228s are just special. Big Grin Although I'm grinning, they are really "Special Configuration" P228s, coming from Germany in July 2012 and March 2013. SIG Germany stuck those mags in there.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Yes, SIG SAUER starting stamping their name on 15rd Mec-Gar made P228/P229 9mm mags a few years ago. As recall, it was Q who told me about them coming with his stainless steel frame P228. I paid a little more for one just so I could have a SIG-branded 15rd P228 mag. However, I'll go back to buying Mec-Gar branded ones since they are identical, except for maybe finish (AFC), and they are a lot cheaper. Smile

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

posted Hide Post
quote:
is what came with the stainless frame P228s,

I think Greg Cote may have sold some at one time, as I have 5 of the Sig Sauer marked 15rd mags. If not him I got them somewhere.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
is what came with the stainless frame P228s,

I think Greg Cote may have sold some at one time, as I have 5 of the Sig Sauer marked 15rd mags. If not him I got them somewhere.

Good memory, I used to have those. They did have the anti-friction coating and the Sig Sauer logo. Other than that they were the same as the Mec-Gar aftermarket P228/P229 15 round magazines.

GregCoteLLC.com

Posts: 8606 | Registered: April 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like those pre-dash 15 rounders with the SIG Sauer rollmark. I found a pair at the then new Cabelas in Lacey WA, around a decade ago. It was less than a year after I bought my first SIG, my P229R pre-dash. Haven't seen them since until this thread. Spent most of my effort since trying to find the gen1 18rd SCT mags that I prefer for both my P228 and P229R (and now my P229 TALO).

Just visited CDNN; were these the ones that they're asking $39.99 for? They claim that those are for E² and dash-1 P229s, but the pic on the product page looks very pre-dash to me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Just visited CDNN; were these the ones that they're asking $39.99 for? They claim that those are for E² and dash-1 P229s, but the pic on the product page looks very pre-dash to me.

Yes, they are the wide body 229-1 mags. Look closer and you can tell. Also, fact is that OP got them from CDNN.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Spent most of my effort since trying to find the gen1 18rd SCT mags that I prefer for both my P228 and P229R

Mine are 17rd SCT that came with my P229SCT. I will be selling the P229 SCT soon as I have a chance to put it in classifieds. The SCT came with 4 17rd mags & I purchased another.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like those pre-dash 15 rounders with the SIG Sauer rollmark. I found a pair at the then new Cabelas in Lacey WA, around a decade ago.

Really?! I thought 15rd SIG marked P228 mags were a recent phenomenon. The story I had heard was Mec-Gar had an agreement not to sell mags with the same capacity (10 rounders excluded) as those it made for SIG which is why Mec-Gar P228 mags are 15rd instead of 13. Are your early 15rd mags Mec-Gar or Sauer dovetails? What finish? AFC or blue? Pics would be nice. Big Grin

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
I like those pre-dash 15 rounders with the SIG Sauer rollmark. I found a pair at the then new Cabelas in Lacey WA, around a decade ago.

Really?! I thought 15rd SIG marked P228 mags were a recent phenomenon. The story I had heard was Mec-Gar had an agreement not to sell mags with the same capacity (10 rounders excluded) as those it made for SIG which is why Mec-Gar P228 mags are 15rd instead of 13.

And, the 229-1 aftermarket Mec-Gar mags are 17-rd, instead pf 15.
quote:
Are your early 15rd mags Mec-Gar or Sauer dovetails? What finish? AFC or blue? Pics would be nice. Big Grin

Don't think these ever existed. Not for the P228/P229.

Q

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
What about "pre-dash (P228/P229?) 15 rounders with the SIG Sauer rollmark" made by Mec-Gar from a decade ago like soggy_spinout mentioned, or did I misunderstand him?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
What about "pre-dash (P228/P229?) 15 rounders with the SIG Sauer rollmark" made by Mec-Gar from a decade ago like soggy_spinout mentioned, or did I misunderstand him?

I read soggy the same way you did, "a decade ago". But, like you said, those are a more recent thing. I don't think they existed in 2007/2008. The first time I ever saw them was with the stainless frame P228 in July 2012. They could have been offered as parts before that, but still, I don't remember them 10 years ago. soggy, if you have pic, it would be nice. They should have the date clock.

Q

posted Hide Post
I had the Mec-Gar made Sig Sauer factory magazines P228/P229 15 round magazines with the anti-friction coating for sell back in 2009 and 2010. The magazines were sold by Mec-Gar as an aftermarket magazine before Sig Sauer contracted to have them made. That's why Mec-Gar is able to offer the same magazine as an aftermarket magazine (no Sig Sauer logo). Hadn't seen them for a long time. Looks like they did another run of them. Sig Sauer also used to sell them with a +2 adapter as 17 SCT magazine. Mec-Gar now sells those in an 18 round version.

Posts: 8606 | Registered: April 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usaoz:
I had the Mec-Gar made Sig Sauer factory magazines P228/P229 15 round magazines with the anti-friction coating for sell back in 2009 and 2010. The magazines were sold by Mec-Gar as an aftermarket magazine before Sig Sauer contracted to have them made. That's why Mec-Gar is able to offer the same magazine as an aftermarket magazine (no Sig Sauer logo). Hadn't seen them for a long time. Looks like they did another run of them. Sig Sauer also used to sell them with a +2 adapter as 17 SCT magazine. Mec-Gar now sells those in an 18 round version.

Thanks, get to learn something new.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I need to look at the actual date clock on my mags that came with the stainless frame P228s.

Q

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Well my new one I bought in 2016 or 2017 is 12/2015.